Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Help with 1885 replica
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 13, 2018 - 12:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi 

Nice to find you folks! Just joined up and look forward to reading the back issues.

I have an 1885 Uberti replica – sorry it isn’t the real thing but its close enough so I figure someone here might be able to help

Problem is I cannot figure out how to align the small knock off lugs with the trigger cutouts so I can reinstall the lower tang.

Do I need to remove the pins, fit them, and then reinstall pins?

Cant get the pins out, fyi, despite all the usual methods. All advice welcome. 

The link to the schematic is here, https://www.uberti-usa.com/sites/default/files/originals/product-manuals/1885_single_shot.pdf

The pins are both #99 and the knock off is 294. As you all may know, the Uberti replica trigger is NOT the revised version in modern Winchester/Brownings.

Thanks all!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 113
January 13, 2018 - 2:13 pm

A forum that might have the answer to your question is the American Single-Shot Rifle Association, ASSRA.  Quite often the owners of Uberti 1885’s have questions that are usually answered.

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
January 13, 2018 - 3:11 pm

I have one of those in 45-70, 32″ barrel but have never needed to take it apart.  Looking at the schematic you provided, it appears to be exactly like an original Winchester and, in fact, I’ve been told by a couple of gun dealers that the Uberti’s replicas are faithful replicas of Winchesters, except for some of the dimensions.

If I understand your question correctly, the trick in re-inserting the trigger with real Winchesters is to push up on the sear as you slide the bolt/lever/hammer assembly back into the action.  No need to punch out the pins.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

New Mexico
WACA Guest
January 13, 2018 - 3:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Here’s an assembly manual on the genuine High Wall from the NRA manual:

1885-Assembly.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

1876-4-1.jpg

WACA Member
January 13, 2018 - 8:58 pm

Thanks all. 

My problem is that the knockoff lugs and trigger cut outs must fit together for the trigger to work. If one looks closely at the schematic Winchacher was nice enuf to post you’ll see the two small cut outs in part 20, the trigger, into which two small lugs in the knock off, 18, must fit. Somehow, in the course of disassembling or moving the parts around, the knock off lugs slipped out of the trigger cut outs even tho both were STILL! pinned in the tang.

I can’t get the two parts to mesh as they should, and it seems that is because of the angles at which they are cut they have to be slipped together first and THEN pinned. 

Perhaps I am wrong, but dont think so. 

However, I can’t get the pins out! (I’m not new at this game either tho I am new to the 1885.) Plus, the puns have round heads. I’ve ordered a cup tip punch from Brownell’s tho not sure that will do it. 

Give me a bit and Ill post a photo close up of the parts.

I’ve posted at the single shot forum, too, but no answers yet

WACA Member
January 14, 2018 - 12:26 am

IMG_7338-small.jpgImage Enlargershematic-mall.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_7336-3.jpgImage Enlarger

The photos are of the actual parts. The schematic in middle illustrates the cutout above the trigger, and the small lug that fits into it. The two parts somehow slipped out, while still pinned to the tang, and I cant get them back together. The lug(s) catch on the edge of the cutout.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
January 14, 2018 - 12:37 am

Can’t figure out why it would have to be disassembled further to re-assemble.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
January 14, 2018 - 10:27 pm

A fellow on ASSRA was kind enough to take a look at a 1885 in his shop and said, indeed, the trigger pin has to be pulled, and the parts fit and then pin reinstalled. The big question is how it ever came out! And why cant I get the darn pin out. Tried everything. About to drill it out.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
January 15, 2018 - 4:06 am

I’m not a gunsmith or a patient person. I have, however, learned to put away my tools and pieces and walk away when things don’t make sense. I think if you give yourself some time you’ll figure it out. Some pins are swaged in to prevent them from coming loose but I can’t recall seeing that method in a firearm.

I’ve seen some real head-scratchers on Uberti revolvers so I’ll never say never.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
January 15, 2018 - 5:01 pm

One fellow said that if a metal pin isn’t properly hardened before assembly it can get stuck. May well be the case, just dont know. I’ve ordered a new pin from VTI. (I have an Uberti SAA and had to replace and refit the cylinder pin as it was more oval than round

Have ordered a carbide bit.

WACA Member
January 17, 2018 - 12:00 pm
Hi all,

Well, its out. Thanks to McMaster Carr, a great online tool resource with great delivery, this evening I upgraded my heavy duty starter punch to a massive “professional” one, pulled out my stonemason hammer and banged away. The pin moved!

Once I banged it out I measured. One end was .1145 the other appears to be .1155, as those who know better than I predicted it may be. I had tried both sides but perhaps I was spending too much effort on the wrong end?

In any case, while the pin slips into the trigger, it is tight but it can be hand fit, it will not hand fit the holes in the tang. Requires a hammer. Is it supposed to be that way? Seems someone pulled the wrong bit back in Italy?

I’m going to wait and see what the VTI replacement pin looks like and then decide which to re-install. And, yes, the trigger and knockout now fit smoothly together and will work fine once I reinstall a pin.

« Last Edit: yesterday at 10:
New Mexico
WACA Guest
January 17, 2018 - 3:22 pm

With REAL Winchesters, pins, sights and other items that are inserted into holes or slots without screw threads, one always inserts the pin or sight from the right hand side and removes is by punching it out from the left side.  The pin you refer to is tapered so it probably needs to be inserted from the right side and with the smaller end going in first.

1876-4-1.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Steven Gabrielli, Andy Y
Guest(s) 190
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600