Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Have a Hankering for an 1873 Trapper, doesn't everybody?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
S.W. USA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 86
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 6, 2019 - 9:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I don’t know why?  I’m going with they are just cool looking and I need to have a lever action Winchester in the collection.  Any way, after looking at about a dozen of these on the internet, I have some questions.

First, I have seen quite a few With lousy bores. In terms of value, is this a problem when paying the kind of money Being asked for these things?

Second, most of these have letters or some communication from Cody.  There are a couple where the info from Cody does not match the trapper – specifically barrel length or it is supposed to be a 16-inch but it is a 17 inch – with the communication from the sellers that the records aren’t the greatest or something to that affect.  Is that the case?  In their defense, the barrels do look like they’ve been on the trappers for forever.

Third, there is one where the barrel was replaced by the factory (and noted by Cody) with a different length but still a trapper length barrel.  How does this affect value to the collector?

Thank you for your time.

John

WACA No. 9886.  Constantly learning about Model 1907 and Model 1910 Self-Loading Rifles.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 6, 2019 - 11:40 pm

John,

Trappers tend to be on the lower end of condition since they got carried and used in the worst environment so a poor bore does not surprise me with a trapper.

If the barrel length does not letter you will have to take it account in the price and have to make excuse for the gun when you sell it. I shy away from guns you have to make excuses for.

As to the gun that had the barrel changed, How does it letter?

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

S.W. USA
WACA Member
October 7, 2019 - 1:03 am

Bob,

thank you for the reply.  Good to know about the bores.  Also, I sorta figured the ones that do not letter correctly were something to stay away from unless the price was right.  Although, the price never seems to be “right” for any trapper.

There is 
one with a different barrel length that letters as replaced with that length by the factory.  I don’t know about the other. I will have to check.

Best,

John

WACA No. 9886.  Constantly learning about Model 1907 and Model 1910 Self-Loading Rifles.

S.W. USA
WACA Member
October 16, 2019 - 2:02 am

Changed my mind, going to get an 1892 Trapper instead.  More to follow………

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4970
October 16, 2019 - 2:45 am

Sounds like fun. Many of those saw hard use too. What are your thoughts on calibers? The 44 WCF commands a premium but the smaller cartridges are great fun if the bore is in decent shape.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
S.W. USA
WACA Member
October 16, 2019 - 2:55 am

Mike,

this one is in pretty good shape judging by the photos and in 44 cal.  I think you’re right about the smaller calibers but they’ll have to wait for the gun fund to replenish.

john

S.W. USA
WACA Member
October 29, 2019 - 7:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Image Enlarger

My newly acquired 1892 Trapper with 15-inch barrel in 44 WCF.  I don’t understand why they didn’t sell more of these in the US

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2324
twobit: 2291