Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
For those looking for a nice M1892 .44/40 SRC
Avatar
steve004
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5848
Member Since:
November 19, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
July 24, 2021 - 12:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I recall some around here expressed the desire to find a real decent .44/40 SRC.  Here’s your chance.  It’s plain – that is no special order features – but it looks pretty clean:

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/83/21/winchester-model-1892-saddle-ring-44-wcf-carbine

Avatar
clarence
NY
Member
Restricted
Forum Posts: 7119
Member Since:
November 1, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
July 24, 2021 - 1:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Something must be wrong with my computer or maybe my eyes, because this is what I saw on that link:

“Estimated Price: $25,000 – $40,000”

Or is that in pesos?

Avatar
steve004
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5848
Member Since:
November 19, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
July 24, 2021 - 1:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

clarence said
Something must be wrong with my computer or maybe my eyes, because this is what I saw:

“Estimated Price: $25,000 – $40,000”  

There’s no special order features – it’s a vanilla version – that’s why the estimate range is so low

😉

Avatar
clarence
NY
Member
Restricted
Forum Posts: 7119
Member Since:
November 1, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
July 24, 2021 - 1:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

steve004 said

There’s no special order features – it’s a vanilla version – that’s why the estimate range is so low

😉  

They must have been tipped off that Big Larry was in the market for one.

Avatar
Big Larry
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2578
Member Since:
December 31, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
July 24, 2021 - 5:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

clarence said

They must have been tipped off that Big Larry was in the market for one.  

Not really. I have a greying 44-40 SRC from 1925. Has lot of blue and the screws are untouched. Paid over $4,000 for it several years ago. This model and the M1886 are certainly the highest dollar guns you can get. I also have three nice 44-40 rifles.   Big Larry

Avatar
Henry Mero
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1602
Member Since:
December 21, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
July 24, 2021 - 6:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a couple in similar cond. that I’d be pissin’ Myself happy if I got half that

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7646
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
July 24, 2021 - 8:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Henry Mero said
I have a couple in similar cond. that I’d be pissin’ Myself happy if I got half that  

As crazy as it seems I can see this carbine making the low end of the estimate pretty easily, won’t pretend to understand. I won’t be one of the bidders but we’ve seen some crazy stuff over the last year or so. 

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
twobit
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2744
Member Since:
March 20, 2009
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
8
July 25, 2021 - 12:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello guys,

The rifle sold for $21,850 back in 2011 out of Julia’s Auction (see below).  You would have to look a LONG time to find one nicer!

Michael

Screen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-8.43.29-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-8.43.42-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-8.43.54-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-8.44.07-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-8.44.20-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-8.44.31-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-8.44.45-AM.pngScreen-Shot-2021-07-25-at-8.45.07-AM.png

Signature-Pic.jpg

 

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Avatar
steve004
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5848
Member Since:
November 19, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9
July 25, 2021 - 3:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Michael. I thought it very probable you would have some background information on this very nice carbine.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: wally, twobit, Mark Douglas, Byron Russell, Zebulon, Blue Ridge Parson, Keith Davis, Turbo 1886, tdnathens
Guest(s) 49
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7646
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5848
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3074
twobit: 2743
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2519
Zebulon: 2393
Newest Members:
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Grizzz73
KKeller515
steeler
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16311
Posts: 149280

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10992
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation