Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Circa 1960 1894 carbine with factory checkering?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Star ID
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 90
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 18, 2021 - 8:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I cam across an auction for a ’94 carbine, where the seller claims it is a 1960 made rifle with factory checkering. Looking at the pictures, I call “shenanigans”…..  mostly because the checkering looks so janky.  But….. the question arises, as I am far from a Winchester expert.  Did Winchester offer checkering on pre-64 carbines?  I know, from searching this forum, that you could get checkering on a rifle in the “Fancy sporting” configuration, or if you ordered it as a special feature. But, did Winchester factory checker carbines?

Link to auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905355886

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 508
July 18, 2021 - 8:35 pm

Your instincts are correct, that’s not factory checkering.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 60
July 19, 2021 - 1:18 am

Tedk said
Your instincts are correct, that’s not factory checkering.  

Ditto.   

Note also how “proud” the receiver, tang & buttplate are.  Definitely (overly) sanded wood.  

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 884
July 19, 2021 - 1:48 am

Notice how the checkering on the right side of the forearm runs downhill, The pattern is 1/4″ lower in the rear than the front.

Erin

Star ID
WACA Guest
July 19, 2021 - 1:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

OW1892 said

Ditto.   

Note also how “proud” the receiver, tang & buttplate are.  Definitely (overly) sanded wood.    

I did not notice that.  I wasn’t thinking of bidding on this gun, I just thought it looked funny so posted here for confirmation. Good catch though…..  I got burned once before on a vintage shotgun because of “artfully” presented pictures that hid that very flaw.  The seller eventually made good though, and if I were seriously considering bidding on this gun I would have looked harder (one hopes!).

Erin Grivicich said
Notice how the checkering on the right side of the forearm runs downhill, The pattern is 1/4″ lower in the rear than the front.

Erin  

I did notice that, just forgot to mention it specifically…… instead I used the all-encompassing technical term “janky”.  Smile

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
July 19, 2021 - 2:16 am

Nice enough shooter, blew right past the shooter price point tho. Wait for the next one, John. Good eye. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Star ID
WACA Guest
July 19, 2021 - 2:19 am

TXGunNut said
Nice enough shooter, blew right past the shooter price point tho. Wait for the next one, John. Good eye. 

Mike  

Naw – three is enough  Laugh……..Unless I come across a nice carbine in 38-55. I have a nice special order rifle in 38-55, but I sure would like a nice carbine in my collection!

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
July 19, 2021 - 3:03 am

John D. said

TXGunNut said

Mike  

Naw – three is enough  Laugh……..Unless I come across a nice carbine in 38-55. I have a nice special order rifle in 38-55, but I sure would like a nice carbine in my collection!  

Three is a nice start. Two is all it takes to get things started, they just start showing up after that. WinkIf you don’t believe me just ask around, lol. I scored a SRC in 38-55 in Cody last week. Not much condition but lots of character. Bore looks good after a good cleaning and I found some 38-55 loads on the shelf. I’m not a 94 collector but I’m a foster parent to more than I care to admit.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Star ID
WACA Guest
July 19, 2021 - 4:30 am

TXGunNut said

John D. said

TXGunNut said

Mike  

Three is a nice start. Two is all it takes to get things started, they just start showing up after that. WinkIf you don’t believe me just ask around, lol. I scored a SRC in 38-55 in Cody last week. Not much condition but lots of character. Bore looks good after a good cleaning and I found some 38-55 loads on the shelf. I’m not a 94 collector but I’m a foster parent to more than I care to admit.

Mike  

I have a nice 30-30, a decent .32WS, and a really pretty 25-35 carbine. I need a 32-40 and a 38-55 to complete the collection of carbines. Not too hot for a 32-40, but I really, really want a nice 38-55, so if any of you following this thread have one for sale, shoot me a PM.

I’m partial to the 1892’s myself, and have the complete carbine set. Only missing a nice 44-40 rifle to have the whole pile.  🙂

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: cj57, twobit, Manuel, Tony. R, clarence, Bill Hanzel, Randycrockett, Zebulon
Guest(s) 137
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2294
mrcvs: 1726