Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Big Bore Model 94 XTR .375 with Large Glove Loop-
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 11, 2019 - 5:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello-

I purchased this lever action Model 94 XTR in .375 from my uncle, who special ordered it from Winchester in about 1987-88.

I am now looking to sell it but am having a difficult time finding a value for it as I can’t find another one exactly like it.

The difficulty is finding another XTR in .375 WITH the large glove loop.

I called Winchester to get some information on it but they cannot find any records of this model, with the large glove loop.

Has anyone seen or have any info on this exact model 94?

I could not get the photo’s to upload here so.. Click here to see my photo’s-  https://www.flickr.com/photos/164608873@N06/with/46627749084/

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 91
March 12, 2019 - 12:26 pm

My brother-in-law has one in a Savage 99.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
March 13, 2019 - 10:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I have two .375 Winchesters. One Marlin, other Savage. The Savage a Model 99A and supposedly “collectible”. Not mine! Bubba having wacked the barrel to 16″! Almost surely a fire breather. A surprise to me, comment above concerning ammo costs. Wow! But also, I’ve read negative reviews of the cartridge performance and now, with ammo costs, a double whammy for other than perhaps collectors.

Bringing me to the matter of your interesting Win 375, big loop. Without some kind of factory variation/custom shop documentation, presumptively “aftermarket” modification. Moving to the category buyer who, as me with some of my rifles, appreciating such variation more in terms of interesting feature(s) value.
I have one large loop lever. Factory and frankly a package deal with a rifle I did want and ultimately cheap for both. Beyond publicity in the now ancient TV program (was it “Rifleman”?) and lever twirling demos, myself seeing no practical use and rather detrimental practicality in such large loops. Don’t think I’m alone in such view. I’m sure there’s a market for your rifle, just with no idea where. Exposing for sale perhaps at the going price for a comparable price normal factory model.
I think you may have a couple of problems marketing. First just my personal prejudice, but as noted practical use the large lever loop wanting. I do have a Model 94 “Wrangler”, 32 Win Special with such style. Bought it too, new condition for a song and that the only reason! My lever loop looks different from yours and I’m wondering if yours even quite the factory pattern. Without Winchester confirmation of factory/custom shop, seems to me likely source of value excluding collector interest.
I’m only with something of a last residual answer. One I hate, essentially begging the question. “Whatever you can get for it.” Needing that special buyer, desiring. Myself with more than a few acquisitions in that category. Intentionally. Just ‘liked them’ for what they are, but integral – needing the “bargain” aura in relationship to negative mod(s).
Good luck and…
Just my take
John

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
March 16, 2019 - 4:29 am

Hi Tony. Not to get too far afield, just to note my Mod 99 nomenclature on barrel: “Model 99 Series A” “Cal. .375 Win.” With straight grip stock, chunky finger grip forend.
That said… Noting here a Winchester Forum, getting afield & uncomfortable. Dropping out from this topic now.
Do value your insights!
John

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steff, mrcvs, antler1, Win61, Byron Russell, Tedk
Guest(s) 139
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600