Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Another "Indian" 1873 - Any Thoughts?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 23, 2017 - 12:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bob,

Any chance you have this 1st model 1873 in your survey work? See item #32 in the link below. Its an incomplete serial number, but I have ask them to see if they can get the last two digits. This is a small auction back in my hometown. A friend ask me about it so I thought I would see if there’s any other records of it. I would be very suspicious of it unless it had plenty of paperwork to track it all the way back.

http://brannianauction.com/11042017-fairgroundsauction.html

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
October 23, 2017 - 1:07 am

I checked what I had in my survey in the 301xx range and didn’t find any gun with Indian use noted but a complete  serial number would tell for sure. One of the things that troubles me is the stickers on the gun.  A legitimate museum would not do that. The other thing is the stock is missing which is one of the places they would put marks on so if there was good information on it its gone for good. I do agree with you that you are going to need some good documentation.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
October 23, 2017 - 3:48 am

I think too, that more documentation is neede.  However, I wouldn’t be too concerned about the sticker on the sideplate.  It is an old style and appears to have been placed on the gun decades ago.  You’d be surprised how many old time museums out here in Montana, used the same form of identification on most of the items on display.  To this day, these stickers have never been replaced. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
October 23, 2017 - 5:30 pm

Would certainly be an interesting rifle if indisputable documentation could be found. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
November 5, 2017 - 6:39 pm

The full serial number is 30490 if that makes any difference. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 147
November 5, 2017 - 9:11 pm

pdog72 said
The full serial number is 30490 if that makes any difference.   

I was at the auction yesterday. This rifle had no documentation other than the sticker on the receiver and the auctioneer’s remarks pastdown verbally through several individuals. One past away over 20 years ago. Rifle sold on site for $8000.   Dick

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
November 5, 2017 - 9:32 pm

Hello Dick,

Yes, I heard there was no paperwork. I tried to offer my opinion and steer the buyer in another direction, but they wanted it. Sometimes it comes down to the simple fact that it makes someone happy to own it, regardless of the price. I have a few in my collection that are not 100% correct, but I enjoy them anyway. This ’73 cant be proven correct, (at this time) but on the flip side, no one has proof that it wasn’t held by Sitting Bull either.

I will say that the buyer is someone very close to me and that he has some health problems. If owning this rifle makes him smile and brings him some joy, I’m happy for him. Hold it, pet it, and dream about where it may have come from.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
November 7, 2017 - 3:45 am

For some of us, our the waking world pales before the splendor of our dreams.

Wishing him a lively imagination and pleasant months ahead.

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
November 7, 2017 - 4:53 am

My step sister is 3/4 native American, if I give her a antique 73 and some 17th century tacks, I’ll have an authentic Indian ’73!!!! Just the thing to sell to the guy with his father’s guns and oringinal boxes. ?

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
November 7, 2017 - 2:49 pm

He could get a Model 94 Chief Crazy Horse Commemorative and and double his pleasure.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, 33wcf, 426crown, Keydet15, keith shaffer
Guest(s) 185
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6365
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598