Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Another GB Auction with very nice deluxe 1894 LW short rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 24, 2017 - 8:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It’s sure a beauty, but spendy…

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/628216252

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 44
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 24, 2017 - 9:44 pm

It is a beauty. It will be interesting to see what the end price will be.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 519
March 24, 2017 - 11:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Wouldn’t that be the wrong tang sight for a model 94???  That sight should be on a 92…….Also, the barrel looks to have had a rear sight on it at one time. If there was a blank there shouldn’t be any “wear” to the top of the barrel in front of the reciever???   I’m not one of the experts on here, but the barrel looks a little fishy to me……

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
March 25, 2017 - 12:10 am

I really like this 94, will be looking forward to hearing more about it from the experts here. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
March 25, 2017 - 1:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The letter D under the Lyman sight is correct for the Model 1894’s in 32-40 and 38-55 calibers.  The DA is for the other calibers, so that doesn’t seem right for a factory installation.  The rifle letters with the sight blank and the wear to the rear of the sight blank could be due to normal handling wear but could also very likely be due to the blank having been removed and replaced with a sight with an elevator, which would explain the wrong tang sight added back on later.  It is hard to see from the photos but the left side of the blank may have some flattening due to being hammered out and we can’t see the edge from the right side – a top angle photo of the sight blank would be useful.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4968
March 25, 2017 - 1:23 am

I like it too, but it’s an old Winchester so what else is new? Sight blank does look a little odd but I don’t know what blank they used on a rifle like this. I suppose someone could have put in a buckhorn at some time over the years.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1268
March 25, 2017 - 3:28 am

Fellows

This is a fantastic short rifle, and Id be proud to add it to my collection. Yes, it appears that someone pulled the blank and had a standard rear sight on the gun. They likely pulled the original tang sight at the same time. Just like many of us do, someone in the last 120 years decided to try and put it back to what it started out with, possibly the current owner. I would do the same thing and get it to match the letter as best I could. They got the application code wrong according to caliber, but not something that would be hard to correct.

It has great letter with the 5 cartridge mag and the 50 yard target note being the most appealing line items to me. I am very fond of the odd mag lengths on my 1894 short rifles. The other rarity, or less common feature is the dovetailed front sight. This only shows up on the early ELW rifles. They quickly realized that this practice left very little meat in the barrel. They transitioned to the ramp front sights on the vast majority of the ELW round barrels in short order.

Lets not split hairs folks, this is a nice rifle.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 263
March 25, 2017 - 11:04 am

We collectors are so fickle about condition. If this was a common pre-64 from the 1950’s it would be considered a dog condition wise. But……. because it is so early and special order etc. we don’t care. I would love to own it!

WACA Guest
March 25, 2017 - 12:26 pm

What would this 94 be considered from an overall condition perspective? 70%? 

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
March 25, 2017 - 3:03 pm

Kevin

I would probably push it closer to 80% but we all know this varies greatly between all of us. CJS57 is right, I look at the earlier ones a little differently than the later guns. This rifle is right down my alley and I just look for a set of special order features that are unique and different than any other I have, or have encountered. I’m a little biased towards these ’94 shorties though.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
March 25, 2017 - 3:29 pm

Thanks Gary, always interesting to see how collectors evaluate Winchesters differently and it’s very educational for us newer collectors trying to learn as much as possible in the least amount of time. 

I decided I was going to learn as much about 1873s and 1886s as I could and stick to them, but I’m really becoming drawn towards the 1894s as well.  

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
March 25, 2017 - 3:39 pm

Kevin

I tried very hard to steer clear of ’94s at first, I guess it was because there are so many of them and it seemed like a common focus for collectors. After a couple years, I couldn’t resist all the different configurations and options you find on them. They are a bit more in my price range as well. I think I’m up to 12 of them and 9 of those are short rifles. Call me sometime if you want to chat about 94’s or any others. I think you had my number from Reno.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1898
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 27, 2017 - 3:39 pm

Sold for $11,125.00.  I believe to a WACA member on this forum.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: win86guns, deerhunter, rwsem
Guest(s) 89
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160