Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Another estate gun came in 1873 in 32
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 104
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 21, 2019 - 7:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This one along with some other guns came into my local shop from a house the was being cleaned out.  It appears to be an all correct model 1873 Rifle in 32-20 about 70 percent blue remaining.  It dates to 1890.  Other then the idiot marks from Bubba trying to remove the barrel the gun is very nice with no pitting and nice straight screw slots.  Anyone see anything wrong with it. 

IMG_7610.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7615.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7613.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7617.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7619.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7624.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7639.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7656.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7630.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7646.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7648.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7661.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7665.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7663.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7667.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7670.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7676.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7678.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7684.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7686.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7688.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7690.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7692.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7694.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_7697.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

THIS ALL STARTED WITH JUST ONE GUN!

IMG_4414-Copy.JPG

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
November 21, 2019 - 8:14 pm

Nothing wrong with it beside what bubba did. Looks like the whole gun was apart and all the original grime was removed from all the screws and joints. It probably looked pretty nice before that.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6382
November 21, 2019 - 8:30 pm

Old Guns said
Other then the idiot marks from Bubba trying to remove the barrel the gun is very nice with no pitting and nice straight screw slots. 

Damn, but that’s sickening to see on what’s otherwise such a clean gun!  Previous owners obviously took good care of it, until it fell into the hands of Bubba the Blithering Idiot.  And yet there are always some who’ll leap to the defense of such idiots:  “it was HIS gun and he had the right to do as he pleased.” 

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
November 21, 2019 - 11:08 pm

Nice looking rifle regardless of the monkey wrenching.  Heaven forbid bubba slight us like that. LaughLaugh

Hopefully the bore looks as good a condition as the outside to make a good shooter. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
November 22, 2019 - 7:48 am

The bore is bright but it does have pitting.  The gun had to completely stripped and cleaned as it was filthy inside.  It had black powder residue still in the bore and internals.  The outside had light rust that came off quite easily.  Some guns you can just wipe down and others have to be cleaned.  A lot of the guns I come by are from estates or the owners just got a bit to old.  Many of the guns have been sitting in the houses for 50 plus years with no attention.  The other gun gun I bought from this lot was a S&W 36 still in the box from the 1970s.  The nickel has clouded over a good bit.  Time has taken it’s toll. It should clean up nicely with some Flitz.

We had an really nice 1876 pass through the shop that had the same type of damage to the barrel. 

IMG_4414-Copy.JPG

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
November 22, 2019 - 6:00 pm

I am not sure the marks on the barrel were done by Bubba.  It might just be from poor handling, transportation or from being dropped.  If you are going to grab the barrel to remove it you would grab it near the receiver.  Monkey wrenching would show signs on both sides of the barrel.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6382
November 22, 2019 - 6:23 pm

Chuck said
It might just be from poor handling, transportation or from being dropped.  

But aren’t poor handling & dropping characteristic of the Bubba’s of this world?  If you spent enough time behind a table at a gun show, you’ve certainly seen the fools who can’t handle a gun without knocking it against another gun, the table, or something else, & though it never happened to me, I have seen guns dropped on a table or the floor.  Bubba’s middle name is Carelessness.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
November 22, 2019 - 6:34 pm

clarence said

But aren’t poor handling & dropping characteristic of the Bubba’s of this world?  If you spent enough time behind a table at a gun show, you’ve certainly seen the fools who can’t handle a gun without knocking it against another gun, the table, or something else, & though it never happened to me, I have seen guns dropped on a table or the floor.  Bubba’s middle name is Carelessness.  

I guess so but I was thinking about the Bubba’s that purposely mess with guns. 

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
November 22, 2019 - 7:51 pm

Chuck said
I am not sure the marks on the barrel were done by Bubba.  It might just be from poor handling, transportation or from being dropped.  If you are going to grab the barrel to remove it you would grab it near the receiver.  Monkey wrenching would show signs on both sides of the barrel.  

The alternate wrench marks are likely below the wood line on the other side.  On the left side you can see a couple lines from teeth biding into the side of the barrel.  Your right too, youd think youd take a bite on the barrel closer to the receiver if attempting to remove. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
November 22, 2019 - 8:36 pm

I agree with Chris, Those are wrench marks from trying to remove it and the corresponding mark on the other side is under the wood. Seen that many times. There is no way those are bad handling marks without hitting the wood.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
November 23, 2019 - 7:17 am

Yup there are corresponding marks under the wood on the opposite side.  We’ll never know why but we do know it happened. 

IMG_4414-Copy.JPG

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: gobblerforge, tim tomlinson, [email protected], SureShot, Pwog
Guest(s) 123
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303
mrcvs: 1727