Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Amazing 1892 on GI
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1912
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 13, 2022 - 4:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
September 13, 2022 - 4:44 am

Don

Those pictures don’t do it justice. I had that gun in my hands in Cody and the blue is much better than the lighting reflects in these pics. A rare 1892 indeed with the matted barrel, straight grip deluxe, and no rear slot. I was contemplating trading them all my guns on the table by the time the show ended. Shes a beauty. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
September 13, 2022 - 10:22 am

Seller says the wood is 3X. Looks like 1X to 2X at best. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
September 13, 2022 - 12:07 pm

Surely a neat rifle.  

But…

The provenance is questionable.

Not worth anywhere near the $32,500 asking price.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1097
September 13, 2022 - 12:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Another very expensive gun with a “story” and no paperwork. It is a good looker however, but I’d have to hold it in My hands and then discount the value placed on the “provenance”. I bought this gun from the son of the original owner with his name on the factory letter, and paid a whole lot less than they want for this one.20220913_085051.jpgImage Enlarger20220913_085313.jpgImage Enlarger20220913_085345.jpgImage Enlarger20220913_085508.jpgImage Enlarger20220913_085539.jpgImage Enlarger

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1912
September 13, 2022 - 2:22 pm

Henry Mero said
Another very expensive gun with a “story” and no paperwork. It is a good looker however, but I’d have to hold it in My hands and then discount the value placed on the “provenance”. I bought this gun from the son of the original owner with his name on the factory letter, and paid a whole lot less than they want for this one.20220913_085051.jpgImage Enlarger20220913_085313.jpgImage Enlarger20220913_085345.jpgImage Enlarger20220913_085508.jpgImage Enlarger20220913_085539.jpgImage Enlarger

That’s a beauty!  Love the matted barrel 1894’s.  Thanks for sharing.

Don

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
September 13, 2022 - 4:05 pm

mrcvs said
Surely a neat rifle.

But…

The provenance is questionable.

Not worth anywhere near the $32,500 asking price

No doubt the seller is placing some value on the Zane Grey connection – it does not sound like it can be documented. The gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As noted by Gary, the gun is nicer than the photos indicate and certainly rare with the matted barrel. How many collectors out there actually own a 92 deluxe – they are hard to find and good one’s cost a lot of money. Personally, I have never even seen a 92 with a matted barrel. The gun would not be for me just because it is too late to letter. As a comparison, the 92 deluxe in 44 which Jim Cauthen had for sale for a long time has sold – that gun was nice and I would have preferred it to this one – it was early, lettered and priced at $28,500. The gun was discussed at length here on the Forum and as I recall the only fault anyone found with it was a possible hammer replacement (widow’s peak or non-widow’s peak). For me, I’m glad I still own this little jewel – it’s not the 44 everyone seems to want but it is original and correct with condition and features which letter.

92dlx2.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
September 13, 2022 - 5:59 pm

Not quite as nice as Burt’s above. But it is an antique takedown that letters with the sights.

Deluxe92.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
September 13, 2022 - 7:58 pm

Manuel said
Not quite as nice as Burt’s above. But it is an antique takedown that letters with the sights.

nice I checkered 92 Manual – you would have to look far and wide to find another – I like full octagon barrels and the globe sight on the front is sweet. Imagine it is a 44 – mine is a 25-20 but what it lacks in caliber it makes up for in condition.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
September 13, 2022 - 10:15 pm

Burt Humphrey said

Manuel said

nice I checkered 92 Manual – you would have to look far and wide to find another – I like full octagon barrels and the globe sight on the front is sweet. Imagine it is a 44 – mine is a 25-20 but what it lacks in caliber it makes up for in condition.

Just the 25-20 caliber on your rifle might be enough for me to rob a bank!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4260
September 14, 2022 - 1:24 am

pdog72 said
Don

Those pictures don’t do it justice. I had that gun in my hands in Cody and the blue is much better than the lighting reflects in these pics. A rare 1892 indeed with the matted barrel, straight grip deluxe, and no rear slot. I was contemplating trading them all my guns on the table by the time the show ended. Shes a beauty. 

Did he have this Marlin on his table there as well?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/marlin-rifles-rimfire/one-of-a-kind-engraved-marlin-1897-custom-ordered-nickel-trimmed-high-grade.cfm?gun_id=102058601

That ’92 .44-40 is plenty nice, but this Marlin really has me drooling.  A whole lot of gun for about half the money of the ’92.  But, I know… it’s a Marlin….

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5050
September 14, 2022 - 1:45 am

At least Zane didn’t have his initials carved in this nice little 92, have seen some of the guns he did this to and it is a major detraction for me. I suppose quite a few guns found their way into and out of Grey’s collection, I think this rifle is pretty special on it’s own merit. This is one of those guns where you ask when you’ll see a nicer one. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
September 14, 2022 - 1:46 am

steve004 said

pdog72 said

Don

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/marlin-rifles-rimfire/one-of-a-kind-engraved-marlin-1897-custom-ordered-nickel-trimmed-high-grade.cfm?gun_id=102058601

That ’92 .44-40 is plenty nice, but this Marlin really has me drooling.  A whole lot of gun for about half the money of the ’92.  But, I know… it’s a Marlin….

Steve

No, I don’t recall seeing that one …….. and I’m pretty sure I’d remember a gun like that. Very cool piece, I like it. They had a number of impressive guns, mostly from their fathers’ collection. I bought a couple handguns from these folks at Cody. They had a couple other guns with Zane Grey connections too. At least one other 1894 had an entire folder full of provenance but the gun was pretty used up. The 1892 deluxe had the ties to Grey and they thought they could get a letter from the last owner with the story but wasn’t a guarantee. The price they gave me at Cody was quite a bit less than what they are starting at on GI. This rifle was on the table for one day and then it disappeared. I asked if they sold it, and they said it was behind the table. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1386
September 14, 2022 - 2:44 am

Beautiful deluxe 1892’s. Here is my semi-deluxe model 1892.

IMG_4013.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4026.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4027.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4048.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4043.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4044.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4036.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4054.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
September 14, 2022 - 4:44 pm

tionesta1 said

IMG_4013.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4026.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4027.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4048.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4043.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4044.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4036.JPGImage EnlargerIMG_4054.JPGImage Enlarger

Al – I don’t remember seeing this one before. I prefer guns with conditions so obviously your gun trips my trigger. In addition to the overall condition, the superb wood to metal fit, no buggered screws, early production, outstanding case still on the lever and features which letter are all aspects which impress me. And, as with many collectors, I prefer the full octagon and rifle butt configuration. I know this has been discussed at some point on the Forum but I don’t remember – are the I checkered guns rarer than the H checkered in the Model 1892 – both are hard to find for sure. Nice photos which when magnified one can really get a good look at the gun – thanks for sharing.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1386
September 14, 2022 - 5:07 pm

Burt Humphrey said

tionesta1 said

Al – I don’t remember seeing this one before. I prefer guns with conditions so obviously your gun trips my trigger. In addition to the overall condition, the superb wood to metal fit, no buggered screws, early production, outstanding case still on the lever and features which letter are all aspects which impress me. And, as with many collectors, I prefer the full octagon and rifle butt configuration. I know this has been discussed at some point on the Forum but I don’t remember – are the I checkered guns rarer than the H checkered in the Model 1892 – both are hard to find for sure. Nice photos which when magnified one can really get a good look at the gun – thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliments Burt. I don’t remember if I posted pictures of this one before.  I really don’t know if I checkered 1892’s are more rare than H checkered ones. I seem to recall that subject was covered on the forum though.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
September 14, 2022 - 7:47 pm

Burt Humphrey said

No doubt the seller is placing some value on the Zane Grey connection – it does not sound like it can be documented. The gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As noted by Gary, the gun is nicer than the photos indicate and certainly rare with the matted barrel. How many collectors out there actually own a 92 deluxe – they are hard to find and good one’s cost a lot of money. Personally, I have never even seen a 92 with a matted barrel. The gun would not be for me just because it is too late to letter. As a comparison, the 92 deluxe in 44 which Jim Cauthen had for sale for a long time has sold – that gun was nice and I would have preferred it to this one – it was early, lettered and priced at $28,500. The gun was discussed at length here on the Forum and as I recall the only fault anyone found with it was a possible hammer replacement (widow’s peak or non-widow’s peak). For me, I’m glad I still own this little jewel – it’s not the 44 everyone seems to want but it is original and correct with condition and features which letter.

92dlx2.jpgImage Enlarger

I tried to buy Jim’s gun.  But no luck.  I do think the hammer was replaced.  Even the screws were messed up. Had small marks throughout. I just could not get to Texas to look at it closer.

WACA Member
September 16, 2022 - 12:08 am

pdog72 said

steve004 said

pdog72 said

Don

Steve

No, I don’t recall seeing that one …….. and I’m pretty sure I’d remember a gun like that. Very cool piece, I like it. They had a number of impressive guns, mostly from their fathers’ collection. I bought a couple handguns from these folks at Cody. They had a couple other guns with Zane Grey connections too. At least one other 1894 had an entire folder full of provenance but the gun was pretty used up. The 1892 deluxe had the ties to Grey and they thought they could get a letter from the last owner with the story but wasn’t a guarantee. The price they gave me at Cody was quite a bit less than what they are starting at on GI. This rifle was on the table for one day and then it disappeared. I asked if they sold it, and they said it was behind the table. 

As attracted as I was to that Marlin Model 1897, I can’t see paying $17,500 for anything that had the end of the barrel lobbed off Cry

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
September 16, 2022 - 11:54 am

How is it known the barrel is “lobbed off”?

WACA Member
September 16, 2022 - 5:42 pm

cjs57 said
How is it known the barrel is “lobbed off”?

First off, look at the location of the front sight.  It is too far from the muzzle.

Also, the factory records show the barrel length was 28 inches when it was shipped.  The barrel length is now 24 inches.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 161
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6380
TXGunNut: 5050
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4260