Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
A restored '86 in .50-100-450 (a.k.a. the older I get the less sense I can make from the world around me).
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 25, 2019 - 4:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

https://www.amoskeagauction.com/116/169.php

This rifle is acknowledged to not be original (non-original finish and a “custom” barrel).  I can see why someone might want to make a rifle like this up.  What I just can’t wrap my head around is the barrel address.  What has been going on here?  First off, “neatly hand engraved barrel address and caliber designation.”  And, I would (partially agree).  The caliber designation does look neat as do parts of the barrel address.  But what has happened here?  And how? And why?  Sections of the address stamped and sections (non-neatly) hand engraved?  Obviously, money was spent on this rifle.  Many thousands I am sure.  Having that barrel made must not have been cheap.  How can you do a project like this and finish it off with an aspect that is so very unsightly? It really does make me queasy to look at that barrel address.   The only thing I do understand is the motivation to sell it off.  As far as the hammer (plus the juice) price, I’m back to not being able to understand. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
May 25, 2019 - 9:08 pm

I think part of the address is original.  The less than neat parts may have been an attempt to re-stamp the parts that were messed up during the refinishing?  Nice shooter.  A real 50-100-450 is extremely expensive.  Only the builder of this gun could answer your questions.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
May 25, 2019 - 10:05 pm

I really know nothing about the value of such an 1886. I do recognize from personal experience, effects of entrusting gun work to others. Gun returned far from expectations. Sounds like such scenario in material cited.

Worst personal scenario. Local experienced & credible gunsmith with vg rep. Going into his own business. My otherwise decent S&W 3rd Model prewar 44 Spl to be replated. Back months later… with cheap, overbuffed blue! Paying nothing, but potentially nice refurb gun; ruined. Him also o/b within first year. (Sometimes best technicians, worst businessmen!) Several other ‘pesky’ episodes over the years. Fortunately, nothing to match!
More often, as here, viewing interesting gun and head shaking. Why in hell…? Pass or buy cheap. At least it appears the referenced seller here, basically up front.
My theory!
John

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
May 26, 2019 - 12:50 am

Nice rifle as long as you don’t look too closely. Unfortunately it’s a good chance someone paid more than the selling price to make it look that way. I hope the new owner likes it.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
May 26, 2019 - 1:15 am

I enlarged the barrel address and the caliber and I’m guessing this was the first job the engraver did. Wow! I think with the barrel address he had a remnant image of “Winchester” to follow but the rest of the line he had to create from scratch.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 94
May 26, 2019 - 11:43 am

Well, I can admit to being one of these people. I had a 20% 1886 in 45-90 which I sent to Doug Turnbull to be restored. I figured as long as it was not going to be original, I might as well go all the way. So, it came back to me as a deluxe 1886 in 50EX. Will I ever get my money back, probably not. But I have a beautiful Winchester 1886 that I could never afford if it was original.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
May 27, 2019 - 11:24 pm

Richard Pike said
Well, I can admit to being one of these people. I had a 20% 1886 in 45-90 which I sent to Doug Turnbull to be restored. I figured as long as it was not going to be original, I might as well go all the way. So, it came back to me as a deluxe 1886 in 50EX. Will I ever get my money back, probably not. But I have a beautiful Winchester 1886 that I could never afford if it was original.  

Richard –

I’ll bet your barrel address looks a whole lot better than this one.  As I said, although what was done to this rifle isn’t exactly my cup of tea, I do enjoy various Winchesters I have that I appreciate as shooters vs. collector items.  And, if a person wanted a .50-100-450 to shoot and hunt, something like this might just work out – for a fraction of what an original would cost.   I could easily live with this rifle for that purpose, were it not for that barrel address.  As I said, it just makes me queasy.  I guess we all have our limits in what and how much we can forgive.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 222
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323