Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Model 1890
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 12
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 23, 2013 - 12:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a M1890 2nd model blue receiver in about 90% condition but with the barrel rusted out probably from black power rounds. it shoots very badly. any thoughts on getting the barrel relined? the shot out barrel greatly reduces the value of the rifle but would it further depreciate with the relined barrel?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10724
July 23, 2013 - 1:55 pm

I doubt that it would hurt it much more than it already is. A professional can reline it and make it nearly impossible to see with the naked eye.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
July 23, 2013 - 2:11 pm

WFR,

I would not be surprised if the rifle has been refinished also. If the bore is in that bad a shape it is highly unlikely that the finish is original and at 90%. If that is the case then the rifle is already out of the collector realm and relining the barrel is not going to hurt it.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 12
July 24, 2013 - 9:56 am

Thank you for your replies.

WACA Guest
July 24, 2013 - 4:40 pm

Just an additional bit of information: Be aware that there is more than one manufactured 1890 liner and they differ in quality and somewhat in price.

It’s not that difficult to do yourself with proper tools but there’s no substitute for a professional gunsmith THAT IS FAMILIAR WITH THE 1890!

With the last liner I had installed I had to wait a couple of weeks. They had one particular liner in their normal stock but my trusted smith recommended a better one. Old first model is deadly accurate and I’m glad I took his advice.

A typical price for the liner and installation (in my very limited experience of three liners in ~10 years) is around $175 – $275.

I’m only a consumer and don’t get into any heavy smithing other than minor 1890 issues so you might take the above prices with just moderate reliability.

I totally agree that it does effect the value. I’ve had several 85% – 95% 1890’s that had sewer pipe bores. The mitigating factor is selling with a sewer pipe bore which also dumps the value of a cosmetically pleasing 1890.

I’m all for bore liners when faced with a sewer pipe but I shoot a lot. If you look at the end of my relined barrels it is not the least bit apparent since my smith totally masks the typical liner look. This brings up a couple of key points:

1. Honesty when selling. An honest seller has the obligation to put that information in the ad. Pleading ignorance after the fact is not an excuse.
(All you have to do when inspecting an 1890 is look in the chamber end. Liners are readily noticeable. You can ask for a close up of both ends)

2. When buying that’s one of the "must" questions prior to a bid. I’ve got a lot of "I have no idea" or "it appears functional but I’ve never shot it…" or "it worked perfectly the last time I shot it but that was years ago"…
(be aware that an excellent bore in an 1890 is a rarity and is not connected with what the exterior looks like) All sorts of combinations in that respect!

3. If the seller is wishy=washy or vague then avoid doing business with him.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 396
July 24, 2013 - 4:49 pm

I see original 1890 barrels offered for sale fairly often. If you can find a good original barrel, I’d install it instead of relining.

WACA Guest
July 24, 2013 - 4:58 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with SB but that’s a tall order. Still looking for a 2nd model, 3rd address barrel in .22 short. Two years now… but, I just missed one!!! There are a bunch out there but… they are for sale usually for a reason: worn out.
IMHO, the primarily concern if the rifle is 85% or better is to match the exterior condition first. (bluing, lettering, dents, etc., etc..) Most of the bores that are leaded up and not pitted badly will still shoot surprisingly well.
The semi-smokeless powders that came in after black powder were still very corrosive even up into the 1920’s. If the bore wasn’t maintained then you see the pitting.
Just a lot of rounds with the lead round nose bullets resulted primarily in the typical 1890 "leaded up" bore. Some of it can be scrubbed out but you usually wind up taking a 4/10 bore to maybe a 5 or 6?
Just opinion of course.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hanzel, Paul K
Guest(s) 139
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282