Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Model 1890 With Special Sights
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 10, 2013 - 10:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Following are some pictures of my model 1890 Winchester with special sights. Although this old Winchester is not the best condition one in my modest collection, it does represent the best of them where special sights are concerned. I looked long and hard over many years, on and off, mostly on internet auction sites before I found this one on GB. I am truly happy with it, and the connection that I made through old census documents and other historical information that might very well have tied it to the original owners – whatever the case might be on this note it was FUN! I wish that it would letter, but sadly it was made in 1907, missing the letter-range just a bit. One reason that I am making this post is that Winchesters with special sights get a lot of attention here, and the other is for your enjoyment.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Forum Posts: 956
February 10, 2013 - 10:51 am

James

I’m not very familiar with 1890s but I’ve always heard it’s harder to find the nice condition ones like that. How common are rear barrel sight dovetails on those?
I did have a Model 1890 once and it was really fun to shoot.

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4276
February 10, 2013 - 11:03 am

As far as I know it was standard to have a rear dovetail. Its just that the model 90 sight used a different way to hold the rear sight in the dovetail.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
February 10, 2013 - 11:21 am

Brad & Bob,

All the ones I recall had the rear barrel sight dovetail.

Yes, they are fun to shoot, although I seldom shoot them anymore. And I have found that they are difficult to find in excellent plus condition.

James

Forum Posts: 956
February 10, 2013 - 11:28 am

Guys

Guys, this is what I was referring to. Having never had another one, I guess I didn’t realize there was a dovetail under there.
http://merzantique.com/item/model-1890-winchester-slide-action

Brad

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Guest
February 10, 2013 - 11:57 am

Brad,

Yes, there is a typical dovetail beneath those type of sights, and when the screw is removed the sight comes off.

James

WACA Guest
February 11, 2013 - 7:49 am

Very nice 1890, James. Usually you see a sight block in the rear dovetail with the tang installed, right? It’s uncommon to see the 22 series (22C?) in the rear dovetail as well. However, all were options and from the rifle condition they are likely original to the rifle.
It is too bad it won’t letter. You’d probably find the sights listed.

The .22 long chambering is a plus to me. I only have one in long and it’s a "built" but correct 1st model. Had the barrel relined (looked like a rusty pipe inside) and now it is dead on out to 100 yards. I have a Marbles W9 tang w/ 1" disk and a #4 Hunter on the front. The disk makes a huge difference if you add it to a tang.
Much fun in the desert. .22 long standard velocity is deadly accurate with enough punch to easily roll a whistle pig.

I bet that one is a tack driver. $400 or more in sights alone. Thanks for sharing.

WACA Guest
February 11, 2013 - 8:01 am

Just to add. Your fairly early 1890 is one in a hundred in that condition… not perfect but very hard to find. I have a late third model 90 in .22 LR that is about the same. Just manufactured 30 years later. That’s another reason to me that a 1907 rifle in that condition is a rarity.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 263
February 11, 2013 - 4:09 pm

You done good!

WACA Guest
February 11, 2013 - 6:08 pm

Thanks ohlode! I don’t recall seeing a slot blank in any of them right off hand, other than two or three that might well have been factory scoped. Schwing’s book shows one scoped with an A5 that has the slot blank, with all of the rest in his book showing the front and rear barrel sights, plus the tang sight.

The rear barrel sight is the 24A Sporting Rear Sight, Flat Top, with Elevator 1B, that came on Special Order with the Model 1890. Re: The Sight Book.

I’m of the belief that all three sights are original to the rifle, so thank you for the comments.

It sounds as if you have a great deal of fun with your 1890(s). I don’t see well enough to shoot anymore, unless I wear my glasses, and even then I have to take a lot of time to draw a good bead on a target. I’m probably still good with the old shotgun though!

This gun came with its canvas case marked with initials followed by Jr., along with a vintage shipping tag addressed to the same individual by name destined for a ranch in Ennis, MT. The name was a bit unusual, and when coupled with other clues like him being a Junior, and a dude ranch by the exact same name, which was established in 1922, not being too far from Ennis, helped out a lot. Finding a party by the same name through some minor genealogy work revealed that Junior was but four and one half years old in 1920, and that he lived with his family in a city in New York. His father was the manager of a motor service company, and he employed servants to care of the family and home. In 1930 he was a bank broker, and his home was valued at $100,000.00 (during the Great Depression). Another clue had to do with the shipping tag on the canvas case which was manufactured by Dennison MFG, Co. in Massachusetts. The company manufactured products and catered to about 50,000 business houses, and one product was a shipping tag designed for anyone and everyone to attach to goods shipped by freight or express, so reads an article dated in March of 1921. So, long story short, Junior and his father were patriots. Senior served in WWI, and Junior in WWII. Junior passed on not long back, and not too long afterwards, I purchased the little Winchester from a party in Massachusetts. Although it’s possible that I might be wrong in my conclusion that I have tied this 1890 to its previous owners, it’s fairly solid as I see it, and you have to admit it makes for a wonderful story concerning a young boy and his Winchester 1890! Man, I love this stuff!

I concur with your thoughts that this vintage 1890 in this condition is a rarity too!

jAMES

WACA Guest
February 12, 2013 - 8:42 am

Thanks, James for the history. Makes that 1890 just more special. If we could just get them to talk and tell their story. I’ve always valued the history of a vintage firearm as much as the piece itself. Otherwise, they are just a hunk of metal and wood. Several years back from an English gent I bought a 3 digit fluted Colt 1860 Army that had a Confederate history. It was tied to a 17 year old red-headed Texas boy, son of a Dragoon soldier. Sent his boy off to war with a local county-raised Cav regiment. He was armed with the father’s old 2nd model Dragoon plus the Colt "New Army" that was bought in New Orleans before the war. (one of Samuel Colt’s "shipped south" pistols) Texas beltplate, tooled holster, and a CDV of the boy in his shell jacket all part of the collection. A family letter from a descendant outlined the above. What I was able to contribute was a copy of a Colt ledger uncovered in the 1950’s showing that particular serial number in a shipment to New Orleans. Tied the existing history together. Took that Texas regiment a year and a half to walk to Hood’s Army of Northern Virginia where the boy served until the surrender.
No doubt the sights are original to the rifle. Just look at the overall condition! Thanks for that nomenclature on the rear sight. I was going by the Schwing appendices in the rear of Volume 1. I’d like to pick up the sight book you reference. Great information, James. If you shoot your 1890, I highly recommend a 1" disk aperature for the tang. Makes all the difference to these old eyes. I cannot use a standard aperature; just a big blur… So I have one for my Marbles tangs and another for my Lyman tangs. Best Regards, Burton in Boise.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2323
February 12, 2013 - 10:22 am

So, whats the serial number? Mine may be very close, same year.
# 332161. Mine was a gift from Mary Pickfords silent movie double in 1959. Big Larry

WACA Guest
February 12, 2013 - 5:24 pm

Burton,

Thank you very much for the story about the Colts, the young Texan in Hood’s brigade, and the boy’s father. Such celebrated history certainly adds to the enjoyment of collecting!

Yes, get a copy of The Sight Book by Madis. I probably would not have been able to identify the sporting sight on this rifle without it, but it is similar to the 22C, except it has a tiny V notch, plus the flat top has a slight up and out sweep to it.

Thanks for the tip on the one inch disc, I just might buy one and check it out.

Big Larry, the serial number is 338676. So ours were made just about the same time!

CJS57, Thank you! 🙂

James

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6277
TXGunNut: 4963
Chuck: 4560
1873man: 4276
steve004: 4160