Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Very rare Winchester 1866
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 4, 2014 - 5:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This Winchester 1866 rifle is in a museum in Istanbul, Turkey … Somebody saw something similar or know more about him?

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Regards

José Luis

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
February 4, 2014 - 6:55 am

Jose,

No, and No… but I am relatively certain that it was not something Winchester did. I am most definitely curious what the cylinder on the barrel is for.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
February 4, 2014 - 7:32 am

Bert,

Could that be a rotary magazine. Once you empty one magazine you rotate it by hand to the next one.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 58
February 4, 2014 - 7:49 am

If you have a contact for the museum or are in Turkey please post information. They may have more information on the rifle or provide more photos to help with the speculation on what the brass is for.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
February 4, 2014 - 7:55 am

1873man said
Bert,

Could that be a rotary magazine. Once you empty one magazine you rotate it by hand to the next one.

Bob

That would make for one heavy rifle ❗

I suspected the same thing, but without better pictures or actually seeing it, it would have been just a guess on my part. It would be great to get the full story on it.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
February 4, 2014 - 8:02 am

At first I thought it was a water jacket for cooling, as ridiculous as that might be. If it is, indeed, a rotary magazine, then one could almost truly ‘load on Sunday and shoot all week’.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
February 4, 2014 - 8:11 am

It´s a rotary magazine ..

I see the photo in

http://www.littlegun.be/mise%20a%20jour%20et%20groupe%20de%20recherche/1%201groupe%20de%20recherche.htm

Identification 2489

Cet engin est dans le musée D’Istanbul.

Une Winchester 1866 avec un machin bizarre

Qu’est ce que c’est ?

Strange Winchester 1866 on the military museum of Istanbul

What is it?

Bonsoir,

J’ai eu l’occasion d’examiner cette étrange Winchester au musée de l’armée, à Istanbul, il y a quelques années. Il s’agit d’une modification du modèle d’origine doté d’un magasin à grande capacité, pour la marine Turque me semble t-il.

Amicalement,

Jean-Pierre Bastié

C’est donc un chargeur de grande capacité ?

Alain

Exact, un grand magasin tubulaire entourant le canon. Voilà un extrait des notes que j’avais pris à l’époque:

Les armes d’épaules utilisées par les Turcs révèlent aussi quelques curiosités. Ainsi découvre t-on dans une des vitrines, une étonnante Winchester 1866 munie d’un long cylindre de laiton, placé autour du canon. Ce dispositif exotique, qui n’est pas sans rappeler le système de refroidissement des mitrailleuses Maxim ou Vickers, installé sur les fusils winchester de la marine turque n’est autre qu’un magasin de grande capacité, permettant de tirer plusieurs dizaines de coups sans recharger.

Amicalement,

Jean-Pierre Bastié

Dans le tube il y a au milieu le canon et tout autour se trouve des magasins. Quand le tube-magasin du dessous est vide, on tourne l’ensemble et on présente un autre magasin.

Sans certitude il y aurait 15 coups dans chaque magasin et 7 magasins contenus dans le tuyau autour du canon.

In the tube there is in the medium the barrel and around magazines. When the tube-magazines of the lower part is empty, one turns the unit and one presents another magazine.

Without certainty there would be 15 shots in each magazine and 7 magazines contained in the pipe around the barrel

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 86
February 4, 2014 - 8:15 am

Wild a** guesses:

1. Maybe it fired a harpoon and a line was wrapped around the brass for un-coiling?

2. An early silencer?

My bust. Posted while the previous post was going up. That would make for a heavy weapon and the sights don’t look to be of much use.

So, is it a Winchester or a clone? Was it modified after it left the factory, or could Winchester have done this? Inquiring minds want to know. If Winchester did that then I’d think Cody would certainly want it/one.

While researching the museum, it seems they have over 80,000 weapons with most in storage. A lot of those old middle eastern looking black powder rifles with the fancy stocks.

Interesting, thanks for the thread.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
February 4, 2014 - 9:51 am

Here is some translation of the comments from the link:

Correct, a large tubular magazine around the barrel. Here’s an excerpt from the notes I had taken at the time:

I had the opportunity to examine this strange Winchester Army Museum in Istanbul, there a few years ago. It is a modification of the original with a high capacity magazine for the Turkish Navy model it seems to me.

The shoulder weapons used by the Turks also reveal some curiosities. Thus do we discover in one of the windows, a stunning Winchester 1866 with a long brass cylinder placed around the barrel. This exotic device, which is reminiscent of the cooling system or Vickers Maxim machine guns installed on the Winchester rifles of the Turkish Navy is nothing but a large capacity tray, to take dozens of shots without recharge.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Rick Hill, Bill Hockett, Win61, keith shaffer, 86Win
Guest(s) 316
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054