Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
April 24, 2014 - 7:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello, I am new to this forum and to Winchester Rifle collecting. I have the opportunity to purchase a Winchester Model 1892 this weekend and I was hoping to get some answers about the rifle that the current owner cannot provide. I have already contacted the Cody Museum and have verified that the serial number on the rifle was shipped from the warehouse in 1905. The biggest question I have about the rifle is that the owner claims that the rifle is nickel plated. The barrel and receiver are a dull silver in color but there are very small and numerous spots on the barrel and receiver that could be some type of corrosion. These spots do however seem to clean up when a wet finger is rubbed over them. The other detail which catches my eye is that the engraving on the barrel is not a “crisp” as I have seem on other rifles of this model. The serial number graving is also shallow. The second number of the serial number, which is an 8, looks at first to be a 3. The other numbers are readable, but the graving is shallow compared to other serial number I have seen in other rifles. Could the numbers appear shallow because of the nickel plating was perhaps applied after the engraving process was complete? This may also account for why the barrel engraving is also somewhat shallow and not “crisp”. The Makers stamp and the caliber stamp (32WCF) are deep, crisp and easy to read. As for the rest of the rifle, the action is very smooth and there is no rattle to the rifle when shaken. Doesn’t appear to have been fired very often. The forward hand stock is in good shape with no major cracks or breaks. The rear stock is damaged in where there is a 1 inch by 1 inch “chip” missing just behind the receiver on the right side which is about ¼ inch deep. There is also a 2 inch by ½ inch chip on the bottom corner of the butt which was broken off and glued back on. I have not figured out to add pictures but will when I can.
So the question I have are, Did Winchester nickel plate their rifles or could this be after market plating. Also, based on the description, what would this rifle be worth? Owner is hoping for $1800 based on the plating.
Thank you for you help,
Tim[/img]

WACA Guest
April 24, 2014 - 8:34 am

tumblr_n4jk17nJvB1r3usn7o1_1280.jpgImage Enlargertumblr_n4jk17nJvB1r3usn7o2_1280.jpgImage Enlarger
tumblr_n4jk17nJvB1r3usn7o3_400.jpgImage Enlargertumblr_n4jk17nJvB1r3usn7o4_1280.jpgImage Enlarger
tumblr_n4jk17nJvB1r3usn7o5_1280.jpgImage Enlargertumblr_n4jk17nJvB1r3usn7o6_1280.jpgImage Enlarger
Here are the pictures I have
Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 24, 2014 - 9:04 am

Hello Tim,

I will be glad to help you. I am on the road right now but willbe at my ranch and a real computer in about an hour. What is the serial number of the rifle?

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
April 24, 2014 - 9:11 am

283823. Cody records office serial number search reveals the gun was received at the warehouse on Feb. 8, 1905 and shipped out Sept 26, 1905. Octagon barrel with a plain trigger. no mention of nickel plating.

Thanks, for the help,
Tim

WACA Member
April 24, 2014 - 9:39 am

Tim,

The ledgers would definitely have the rifle listed as "full nickel" if it were in fact manufactured that way. This rifle has just had all the original bluing buffed off of the entire gun. You can actually see the chafe in the width of the barrel flats in the photo of the caliber stamp. The rifle is worth about $400 at best! Keep your money and keep shopping.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 65
April 24, 2014 - 1:24 pm

if it was buffed why are the markings so sharp and clear looking?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
April 24, 2014 - 2:04 pm

I do not believe that it is bare steel. Instead, it is nickle plated, but not by Winchester.

I do agree that it is not worth anywhere near the $1800 asking price. The butt stock is nothing more than a piece of wood stove fodder.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 184
April 24, 2014 - 2:05 pm

larryb said

Because sometimes it takes very very little buffing to remove what tiny amount of bluing is left on the gun.

The gun shown in the photos is not Nickel plated and never was. Its bare steel with a bunch of tiny rust blooms starting.

IMHO

WACA Member
April 24, 2014 - 4:24 pm

I am still going to stick with the buffed metal interpretation of the photos. If the rifle had been nickel plated then there is no way that all the lettering ends up not also being plated. It would be no different than a poor bluing job over old pitting. The pits and the lettering all get blued. I think this gun was badly rusted and then the metal surface was buffed to remove the corrosion. That corrosion in the recessed lettering could not be removed, hence they end up being darker than the balance of the metal. You can also notice the rounded nature of the change in angle between one barrel flat to the next. Especially in the caliber stamp photo.

larryb wrote:

The caliber stamp and the barrel address clearly show evidence of buffing if you compare it to the attached photos below. The periods between the WCF are missing in the caliber stamp and the upper line of the barrel address is very thin and the first word in the upper line, MANUFACTURED, is almost removed.
32TopOB_zps2c394c1c.jpgImage Enlarger

38TopOB_zps1b116b61.jpgImage Enlarger

DSC03158_zps8129c0da.jpgImage Enlarger

Type3_zpsd21e5ee9.jpgImage Enlarger

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 65
April 24, 2014 - 5:11 pm

learn something every time I come to this site. thanks

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 216
April 25, 2014 - 5:14 am

To me an obvious buff job(a poor one at that ) and not plated. Twobit’s explanation is right on. Unless someone just wanted a shooter(and not for $1800!!) not much of a rifle.

WACA Guest
April 25, 2014 - 8:10 am

Well I would have made a every expensive mistake had I not asked the question about the rifle. So now, with everything said, is there any restoration value for this gun, or is it destined to just be an inexpensive shooter made back in 1905?

Thanks again for all the input,
Tim

WACA Member
April 25, 2014 - 11:14 am

Tim,

The rifle is not worth restoring. It is a plain Jane rifle and not worth the expense. The wood has also been sanded so most of the rifle would be replaced parts.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: mrcvs, Manuel, cranky2, rogertherelic, Big Larry, Zebulon
Guest(s) 104
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969