Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1890 receiver stamp
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 62
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 2, 2013 - 2:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

HI,
I’m new to this forum but have been reading for quite a while. I have a .22 short, 2nd Model 1890 made in 1898. The front of the receiver just under the magazine has a stamp that has a circle with a circle inside and another circle inside that one. In other words it looks like a target. Does anyone know what that stamp is? I can’t find any information on that type of stamp. Thanks for any help.
Len B

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
February 2, 2013 - 5:29 pm

Hello Len: This part of the receiver has inspection stamps, one to several – could be numeric, or a triangle or other – plus the stamping "WRF" for the .22 WRF rifle. I do not recall a concentric circle inspector stamp, but I have not seen them all.

Merrill

WACA Guest
February 2, 2013 - 6:03 pm

Thanks for the reply Merrell,

Just to clarify, the target like stamp is on the front flat surface of the receiver directly under the magazine. I have been looking on and off for years but I never came across the same stamp.

WACA Guest
February 2, 2013 - 6:52 pm

Can you post a clear photo? Never seen that stamp on a slide-action receiver. Would be something new. No mention in Schwing’s book to my knowledge.

WACA Guest
February 3, 2013 - 4:06 am

I will try to post a picture. I have to read the instructions on how to post pictures to this forum. If all else fails I can PM you a pix.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2305
February 3, 2013 - 8:48 am

I got the file and here it is. I also have never seen one like it.
1890stamp001_zps007a56b3.jpgImage Enlarger

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
February 3, 2013 - 1:46 pm

It’s a bullseye stamp associated with the .22 WRF. It might be found on the face of the receiver, or on the upper tangs side or bottom, along with or without the WRF marking.

WACA Guest
February 3, 2013 - 1:55 pm

This rifle is and always was a 22 short. I have a factory letter documenting the caliber and the extra options it had when it left the factory in 1898.

WACA Guest
February 3, 2013 - 2:15 pm

hello again 66m20e: The rifle appears just a bit more classy than a standard Mo 1890. Plus you have a factory letter. Etc. You may be holding out on us by not posting more photos.

From what I observe in your photo, the concentric circles appear to be more "engraved" than a stamp. Your rifle appears to be engraved, I assume factory engraved. There could be a connection?

Merrill

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
February 3, 2013 - 2:29 pm

I may be completely wrong, but I "think" I have seen this same marking on one of my 1894s or 55s. It sure looks familiar. Don’t have time to pull them a ll apart right now though, but if I recall, it may have been on one of the more recent rifles I picked up. I will take a look when I can, I have to go into work this evening.

Matt

WACA Guest
February 3, 2013 - 8:31 pm

Thanks for the photo.

I’ve never seen reference for this stamp which I agree looks more like engraving. If someone believes it to be a factory stamp then please provide reference.

Otherwise, I think it might be the engraver’s touch. What is shown of the engraving doesn’t look to be factory…

Can you provide some closeups of the engraving over the entire receiver and one of what the museum letter reports?

WACA Guest
February 3, 2013 - 10:20 pm

ohlode said
Thanks for the photo.

I’ve never seen reference for this stamp which I agree looks more like engraving. If someone believes it to be a factory stamp then please provide reference.

Otherwise, I think it might be the engraver’s touch. What is shown of the engraving doesn’t look to be factory…

Can you provide some closeups of the engraving over the entire receiver and one of what the museum letter reports?

ohlode,

See pages 55, 56, & 57 of Winchester Slide Action Rifles Vol. 1, for explanation and pictures. I’ve seen the bullseye stamping on numerous model 1890-90 rifles in .22 WRF caliber over the years, but I don’t ever recall seeing it on any other caliber.

James

WACA Guest
February 4, 2013 - 6:16 am

Good eye JWM. Page 56 of Vol. I nails it, when Schwing says "Some of these symbol stampings will be made up of two concentric circles or a triangle with the numeral 1 in the center, or other odd looking characters."

So Len, the concentric circles on your .22 short is an inspection stamp.

By the way the following page does show the concentric circles on the inside of the lower tang with the W.R.F. stamping. But I believe this is a coincidence, rather than the rule. and only on the early first and second models.

Good post Len.

WACA Guest
February 4, 2013 - 7:02 am

Merrill: Thank you.

Len: Yours is the first that I recall seeing on a .22 Short, but then you know what they say about memory and age. 🙂

James

WACA Guest
February 4, 2013 - 1:33 pm

WOW! The mystery of the stamp solved at last. I was looking a long time for the answer. Thank you everyone for all your help and especially taking the time to research the issue. Great forum and I can see a real dedicated group of Winchester collectors willing to share their knowledge.
Len

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 77
February 4, 2013 - 6:41 pm

I found several of those stamps in with a box of other factory stamps from a retired Winchester gunsmith. Didn’t know what they were used on until now.

WACA Guest
February 4, 2013 - 9:50 pm

ohlode said
Thanks for the photo.

ohlode,

See pages 55, 56, & 57 of Winchester Slide Action Rifles Vol. 1, for explanation and pictures. I’ve seen the bullseye stamping on numerous model 1890-90 rifles in .22 WRF caliber over the years, but I don’t ever recall seeing it on any other caliber.

James

Thanks, James! Great information. Don’t want to take this too much further but…
Inspection stamp indicating what exactly?
Was it a particular inspector or just a indication that it was "inspected". Sorry for my lack of knowledge but I’m here to learn.

WACA Guest
February 5, 2013 - 8:09 pm

ohlode,

I’m here to learn as well.

I don’t know what this symbol means, but its shape causes me to think about target shooting.

James

WACA Guest
February 5, 2013 - 8:57 pm

James: Yes, that’s an interesting possibility. I would think it was specific either to an individual inspector or a particular inspection, special meaning, etc., etc.. Someone at that factory knew exactly what that stamp meant… I was actually pondering the possibility that it signified a replacement inner and outer mag tube. I like your theory better. Anyone else know or want to contribute thoughts?

WACA Guest
February 6, 2013 - 1:07 pm

ohlode said
James: Yes, that’s an interesting possibility. I would think it was specific either to an individual inspector or a particular inspection, special meaning, etc., etc.. Someone at that factory knew exactly what that stamp meant… I was actually pondering the possibility that it signified a replacement inner and outer mag tube. I like your theory better. Anyone else know or want to contribute thoughts?

ohlode,

Now that’s an interesting thought too. Thanks for your comments.

Carrying the target-idea a bit further, it would appear that of the following three calibers, .22 Short, .22 Long, and .22 WRF, the .22 Short would have been the favorite one for professional trick shooters, while the .22 WRF would seem to me to have been the favorite one for long range target shooting and or hunting. Schwing explains in his book that sights on the 1890 were set at 25 yards, but Winchester would set them at different ranges for their customers on request. The examples given were from 25 feet up to 200 yards, and if memory serves me right Ad Topperwein had his set at 25 feet. Schwing also points out that one customer requested the sights to be set at 100 feet on his .22 Short, which was equipped with a special target front sight and a mid-range tang sight. With this information and scenario in mind, wouldn’t you think that Winchester might have had an inspector to make a mark like the bulls-eye to affirm that such requests had been processed?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2351
twobit: 2305