Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1890 barrel query
Avatar
Carla
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 8
Member Since:
February 10, 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
November 22, 2013 - 7:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello, Winchester folk,

I’m planning to ‘get around to’ a project rifle, and would appreciate some advice.

(I realise that this is more of ‘Winchester users’ question that a ‘collectors’ question, but hopefully, it would be alright here?)

The rifle is a model 1890, of 1910 vintage, per the published ‘polishing room’ data. At some time in its history, someone attempted to replace the barrel, and, apparently, didn’t know how to remove/replace the mag rings, so he brazed them, and put quite a dramatic warp in the barrel doing that. (this is one of the ‘you have to see it to believe it’ bits of ‘bad bodger’ work….a sad shame, actually)

The bluing is long gone, and since it can’t ever be original again, I’d like to rebuild this one as a working rifle, for the young people’s basic instruction events I run at our local range.

So, the question is, has anyone any experience with the reproduction barrels for the M90 as sold by Numrich and other suppliers?

Are they held anywhere near the original Winchester tolerances, and is one likely to fit and work as intended?

Is there any particular supplier who can be recommended, one who supplies high quality replacement parts? Obviously, external finish quality means little, in this context.

I wouldn’t at all mind fitting a model 06, 62, or 62A barrel, if I could get a good serviceable one…….would anyone know of someone who might have one of those which they’d care to sell?

Would I guess correctly that a model 90/62/62A ‘hybrid’ might be a reasonable copy of a model 1890 rifle which would have been sent back to Winchester for repairs in, say, the late 1930’s, and fitted with a then-current production barrel?

cheers

Carla

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Bert H., steve004, Henry Mero, markone1966, kevindpm61, skierd, MarkGK
Guest(s) 525
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7657
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6883
steve004: 5855
1873man: 4994
deerhunter: 3076
twobit: 2751
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2521
Zebulon: 2405
Newest Members:
mike2371
Gary Fisher
JohnCZ
Drero
Keebler98
DougW
MMM
WyoTip
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16329
Posts: 149510

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 11003
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation