Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Looking to purchase 1873 Winchester
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 4, 2013 - 7:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

To tell if its been removed you would have to remove the forearm to see if there is a corresponding mark on the opposite side. It could be someone tried to remove it and failed to get it loose. If there is no matching marks on the other side, then it could be it got dropped hard on something sharp but it does look like jaw marks of a pipe wrench. You can never tell why people do thing to guns.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2291
December 4, 2013 - 7:59 am

1873man wrote:

If there is no matching marks on the other side, then it could be it got dropped hard on something sharp but it does look like jaw marks of a pipe wrench. You can never tell why people do thing to guns.

I would put my money on pipe wrench marks!!

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
December 4, 2013 - 12:20 pm

I’ve seen those pipe wrench marks on a couple old Winchesters, one of them was a special order ’86 45-90. Kind of frustrating, but there was a period of history where these old guns had zero collector’s value and, with the advent of the modern smokeless cartridges and guns, were not valued much, so a pipe wrench might have seemed the practical thing for some do-it-yourselfer.

"road king"
WACA Guest
December 4, 2013 - 1:50 pm

The wrench marks can usually be taken out with a little care and practice. I have done a number of guns over the years that had them and most turned out so they were less noticeable and in some cases actually disappeared. The problem with this gun is the marks look like are on top of the caliber marking, which would be another problem.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 91
December 4, 2013 - 5:19 pm

Thanks you guys for all your information.

Hope these pictures help. Not sure about marks on barrel you guys definitely have more experience then me. There is a mark in front of the rear sight same era as the other marks I would say, but smaller.

How rare is a Button mag 73? You sure don’t see a lot of them advertised for sale.

Bruce

Aim Small ,Miss Small

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 86
December 4, 2013 - 5:19 pm

I’ve done a fair amount of work with a pipe wrench and you’d have to do a pretty sloppy job in order to get lines that are not parallel to the run of the pipe. Yes, it can be done, especially if you start out with the wrench too loose, but some of those lines on that barrel are pretty skewed. It could be a pipe wrench but I’m not convinced of it.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
December 4, 2013 - 5:48 pm

Bruce,

The Button mag is a special feature but is not as desirable as a full mag. In the collector world the configuration that is most sought after is a full octagon barrel with full mag and crescent butt plate also the larger the caliber the better it is.

The marks on the barrel may or may not be from a pipe wrench but either way they are a detraction and hurts the value.

Also a note to how you post pictures, if you could edit your picture posts. You need to place the link to each picture on a separate line so that the pictures are vertical rather than side by side. When the pictures are side by side you have to scroll left and right to read the text.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
December 5, 2013 - 11:11 am

For you Ontario boys does anyone remember The Traders Den in Markham, i bought an 1873 from them in 38-40 and it was a 90% gun for $700. They were the greatest guys to deal with i have ever met, loved going to their store. After a couple visits and purchases you were allowed into the coveted back room where all the good stuff was. Doug told me all about the Cody Winchester show, which i never heard about until then and how i should go their because it was well worth the trip. Years later my wife and i took a holiday to Cody and the general area, and i never even thought about the Winchester show until we were driving around town and i seen the signs up for it. Old Doug was right it was something to behold i will never forget it. It capped off a great trip to the West.
Gary

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 853
December 5, 2013 - 11:31 am

A 90% ’73 for $700 is a decent deal. No wonder you were enthusiastic about that store. I think I’d be heading down there on a regular basis with deals like that.

How would one remove those marks and then replace the patina?

WACA Guest
December 5, 2013 - 1:01 pm

There were 2 owners of that store, one sold out his share and the other died suddenly from a heart attack. Kirk you obviously are too young if you never heard of The Traders Den, I guess I am dating myself.
Gary

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
December 6, 2013 - 10:32 am

I bought a few Winchesters from "the Traders Den" and still have them, a 94 32 spcl OB FM DST Front target windage sight, Lyman Tang. A 92 25-20 OB FM Lyman Tang Both mint bores, a 92 44 RBR shipped to England for WW1, A 94 Carbine 30-30 engraved in the 50’s by A Reich Darmstdt Germany. The most beautiful engraving Ive ever seen, although not factory

The Traders Den was the first place I ever saw special Winchesters and greatly contributed to my ongoing addiction

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

WACA Guest
December 6, 2013 - 9:15 pm

That was the best candy store for gun collectors looking for rare and unique firearms at reasonable prices. There has never been another open up that has come close to it’s unique character.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
December 7, 2013 - 6:19 am

Where is Ontario was this shop? Certainly before my time from the sounds of it. Sure wish there were shops like that around today.

Matt

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
December 7, 2013 - 6:34 am

It was in Markham It really was a thrill to go there to see what new jewels were in. This wouldnt be politically correct today ,but there was usually the 2 partners , and a couple buddies or customers , smoking ,drinking, playing poker and talking guns, like a saloon scene in a Western

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hanzel, Paul K
Guest(s) 142
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282