Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Double rear sight dovetail on 1894??
Avatar
twobit
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2751
Member Since:
March 20, 2009
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
1
May 18, 2012 - 6:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello All,

I am stumped. This is on a Model 1894, SN 437227, 25-35 WCF, Shotgun butt, checkered pistol grip. Barrel markings are correct but the forward location of a possible dovetail on the top of the barrel is something I have never seen. Any ideas/input?

Thanks
Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

 

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Avatar
Mike Hunter
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 352
Member Since:
January 24, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
May 18, 2012 - 6:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Michael

I’m thinking scope mounting block, I’ve seen something like that before, scope mounts were held in the forward & rear dovetails.

V/R

Mike

Avatar
twobit
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2751
Member Since:
March 20, 2009
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
3
May 18, 2012 - 8:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mike

I thought the same but the proof stamp is on the top flat. "Most" original scope mounted rifle I haveseen that are proofed have the barrel proof on the left flat. Of course it could be a non original addition.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

 

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Avatar
jwm94
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
Member Since:
May 24, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
May 30, 2012 - 3:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

twobit said
Mike

I thought the same but the proof stamp is on the top flat. "Most" original scope mounted rifle I haveseen that are proofed have the barrel proof on the left flat. Of course it could be a non original addition.

Michael

Interesting. Is the receiver drilled to accommodate a mount?

Avatar
Guest
Guest
Guests
5
January 20, 2014 - 8:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Old post, but …

Measure the distance between the dovetails. Bases mounted 7.2" on enter give 1/4 minute adjustments @ 100 yards, while bases 14.4" give 1/8-min adjustments.

I have seen many an old rifle, mostly single shots however, with tube sights mounted off two dovetails as pictured.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Bert H., Bill Hockett, twobit, pdog72, Zebulon, Randy3590
Guest(s) 543
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7657
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6883
steve004: 5853
1873man: 4994
deerhunter: 3076
twobit: 2751
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2520
Zebulon: 2400
Newest Members:
mike2371
Gary Fisher
JohnCZ
Drero
Keebler98
DougW
MMM
WyoTip
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16328
Posts: 149491

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 11003
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation