Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Manitoba,Canada
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 7, 2018 - 10:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Looking at purchasing a 1946 M70 in the 300 H&H magnum and wondering what is the correct barrel stamp for that caliber of gun in that year. Would it say 300H&H magnum or 300 magnum.

Thanks

Bob

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 509
November 7, 2018 - 11:02 pm

Should be 300 MAGNUM. The 300 H&H MAGNUM caliber designation was authorized on June 25, 1950.

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 974
November 8, 2018 - 12:05 am

Bob-

For reference, a few photos of a 1942 M70 300 MAGNUM standard rifle (S/N 45151).  Is your ’46 a post-war type I (pre-war receiver) or very early type II (transition) rifle.  Either way there should be no holes in the receiver bridge (if factory original).

1.jpgImage Enlarger8.jpgImage Enlarger13.jpgImage Enlarger10.jpgImage Enlarger

Best of luck,

Lou

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA 9519; Studying Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

Manitoba,Canada
WACA Member
November 8, 2018 - 12:18 am

Lou, thanks for info. Going to look at gun this weekend and wanted to make sure, as that is what I thought. The serial number I have on the gun is a 46 built gun.

Thanks again and maybe the guy will let me take the stock off.

Bob

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
November 8, 2018 - 12:41 am

Bob-

Just to “bracket” your production date, attached are some photos of a pretty nice (actually very nice) transition M70 300 MAGNUM standard rifle (SN 84113) that Dave Morris recently sold on GI (not to me, sadly).  Note especially the smooth undrilled bridge of the early type II H&H length actions.  A ’46 M70 will PROBABLY have a rust blued barrel with a pre-war date (factory using up pre-war parts while tooling-up for post-war production):

84113-6.jpgImage Enlarger84113-1.jpgImage Enlarger84113-10.jpgImage Enlarger84113-11.jpgImage Enlarger

Give us an update on what you find out!!! Laugh

Lou

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

Manitoba,Canada
WACA Member
November 11, 2018 - 2:41 pm

Lou, well it did say 300 magnum but someone had refinished it and did a horrible job. Barrel was almost a flat black and looked like it had been drilled to put scope on. Had to politely say I wasn’t interested at 1600 U.S, 2100 Can. These pre 64’s are getting tough to find up north in good condition.

Thanks for your photo’s

Bob  

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
November 11, 2018 - 5:47 pm

Hi Bob-

That’s too bad…  You’re right that, despite 300 H&H MAGNUM being amongst the most common M70 chamberings from 1936-63, “300 MAGNUM” M70s with the cloverleaf tang (type I pre-war or type II transition) are hard to find unaltered (especially due to aftermarket recoil pads and D&T bridges). Consequently, they are getting pretty pricey these days.  

FWIW… It’s my opinion that type I or II M70s (cloverleaf tang) in H&H length should not be D&T on the bridge (illustrated in photos above).  In fact, one can find type III rifles in H&H MAGNUM chamberings (300 or 375) up to around S/N 170000 that lack holes (although by that time they are mixed in with factory drilled ones).

I’m sure you know this, but in case other potential M70 shoppers do not…  When shopping for a M70 in 300 H&H MAGNUM, always have a piece of 300 Weatherby Magnum brass in your pocket.  Ditto 22 Kilborne Hornet brass if considering a 22 HORNET.  Since these two cases were made by fire forming, rechambered M70s that are not marked as such are surprisingly common!!!

Better luck with the next one!!! Laugh

Lou

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

chefbq
WACA Guest
November 14, 2018 - 5:18 am

Gents, 

If I may coat-tail this thread, please.  I am in a quandary regarding a 3-digit, 300 H&H that has crossed my path.  It is a bull gun, but, has some issues that I cannot rectify. 

1)  Winchester proof mark.  The one on the barrel does not match up to ANY on the receiver.  Receiver has NO proof mark.  This seems very strange to me.  Did this ever happen?  

2)  Bolt has correct pre-war safety, but, doesn’t show an electric penciled serial number.  No trace.  Striations along the length obsure any markings.

3)  Receiver bridge has 4 drilled holes; 2 forward and 2 aft. 

Is this a cleverly constructed fake?

Thank you for your input. 

Brian.  

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
November 15, 2018 - 2:34 am

Hi Brian-

Interesting questions…

It would really help to have photos of the gun (as many as you’ve got).  Also the serial number.  Much goes into discerning what is/is not period correct on these guns.  As a guest you cannot post photos directly on this site, you’d have to use a third party service.  Alternatively, you can send them to me ([email protected]) and I can add them. As a third alternative, you could always join us and post yourself… Laugh

I think that, RARELY, proof marks (applied after proof firing) are missing on the receiver, barrel, or both.  But not often.  The bolts were also serial numbered AFTER test firing.  So in general, the only marks on the gun that are “rough” (not polished over) are the proof marks and the bolt serial number.  

The “striations along the length” is a different story.  I’d need to see a photo.  It seems to me to be fairly common on prewar guns to find lengthwise striations under the anti-bind lug of the bolt, usually with the S/N electropenciled on top.  Whether this was b/c the “shadow” of the anti-bind lug didn’t get polished (polishing of bolts – like barrels – was circumferential, not lengthwise), b/c that surface was intentionally “relieved” by the assembler using a rotary grinder (looks that way sometimes), or b/c somebody (in or out of the factory) “erased” a serial number, is unclear.  Possibly any/all of the above???  Anyone care to comment???

To me, the “four holes”, assuming that means two in the TOP of the bridge, would argue against the rifle being a “cleverly constructed fake”, simply b/c holes in the top of the bridge of a three digit M70 are NOT factory.  A “clever” faker would have either tried to conceal them or found a clean “donor action” without them.  Maybe a “not too clever” faker???

Anyway, pics would be the key to a hopefully meaningful answer for you.  

Best,

Lou

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter, Michael McMurray
Guest(s) 162
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368