Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
2020 Shot Show Special: M1892 Deluxe Trapper take-down case-hardened pistol-gripped rifle
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 20, 2020 - 3:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1892/model-1892-current-products/model-1892-trapper-takedown.html

I still don’t get excited about new rifles, but I do like the concept here.  I could see ordering an original one of these back in the day.  Now that would be cool.  Of course, mine would have a shotgun butt 😉

What do the rest of you think about it?

Rural Nevada
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 67
June 20, 2020 - 9:02 pm

Generally I agree with your sentiment about new rifles.  Just not usually interested. 

As a fan of 1892’s this does look like a nice rifle if a bit pricey.  I’d be tempted at around $1200 maybe. 

I must say, I bought one of the first of the Model 52 sporter reissue in the 1990’s. I wanted it for a shooter and it has been used and appreciated.  But those have surprisingly held good value and even appreciated a bit. 

I suppose these reissues could eventually be ‘collectable ‘ but probably not in my lifetime. 

P

Nevada Paul

Life Member NRA

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
June 20, 2020 - 9:22 pm

Modern production…I wouldn’t give it a second glance.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
June 20, 2020 - 9:44 pm

Three things I don’t care for as far as their idea of a trapper:

The octagon barrel does not lend itself to the whole concept of lightweight as a trapper should be.

Personally, I believe their choice of cartridge really stinks. If you are going to use a modern cartridge, why not a 44 Mag. A choice of 44-40, 38-40 or even 45 long colt would of been much more fitting. (In my opinion)

Fancy wood on what should be a utility grade gun with a crescent butt plate??….. Again, this doesn’t lend itself to the whole light weight concept. Fancy wood tends to be very dense, heavy wood and a steel crescent also adds weight. As mentioned, a proper shotgun butt would of been a much better choice. I see it as nothing more than a dolled up sales gimmick and a poor representation of a functional lightweight carbine.

MY .02

Erin

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
June 20, 2020 - 10:20 pm

It sure seems to me, to be correct, this rifle should be described as a, “short rifle.”  No sling ring, no carbine butt, no barrel band, and then there is the octagon barrel.  Yes indeed, a lot of advertising gimmick at play here.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
June 21, 2020 - 3:16 am

Looks like their target audience is cowboy shooters, not Winchester collectors. It’s an attractive rifle and probably quite well finished but I’ll pass. I have a Rossi 92 that fills this niche better than this Winchester but quite frankly it bores me. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
CANADA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 127
June 21, 2020 - 2:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I’ve got one of these from the 2010 Shot Show Special production run. Blued receiver – not case hardened.

Anyway it’s a nice little rig and more of a short rifle than a trapper I think.

The neat part is how compact a package it makes when taken down.

The problem with 16″ barrels is that they are LOUD. It would have been better with a 20″ or 24″ barrel.

It’s not the “real thing” but it’s well built and fun to shoot. Potent in 44Mag.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 201
June 22, 2020 - 2:06 pm

I actually kind of like it!! Not as a reproduction item – more of a fantasy item. Would go great with my case colored new production Colt SAA in 45 Colt!!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
June 22, 2020 - 6:21 pm

A BIG NO to me!

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
June 22, 2020 - 6:36 pm

I like it, since Jim West up in Alaska introduced this concept in his custom made guns:

Check out Jim’s custom guns:

https://www.wildwestguns.com/

Smitty
WACA Guest
November 11, 2020 - 12:47 pm

Wonder if they could make separate front ends so you switch out between calibers.  I like this idea in AR’s, I just carried

an M4 for so long, I hate ARs.  1 rifle able to shoot multiple calibers with a simple switch over has a lot of merit.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 204
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261