Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1955 Winchester 94 NIB. What should I do it. Clean protect?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 21, 2019 - 4:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi I’m new here and new to collector new in box guns. I recently ended up with a 94 from a friend, he used to be a Winchester rep and after making a deal I ended up with this rifle. I can see no evidence of ever being shot, and he has assured me it has not. I gently opened the lever making sure the bolt did not touch the hammer. Bolt face is perfect, no wear anywhere I can find. Gun appears to have dried cosmoline or similar over metal.

First question is  should I clean? I doubt it but I’m afraid of corrosion. 

Second question is about the box. What should this era box look like? The box does not show much Winchester signage. The box is brown cardboard with the Winchester end label showing serial number and model info(As I. Remember)also a shipping label to a sporting goods store. On the inside there is no hangtag but 2 pieces of Winchester paperwork. Also a triangle shaped spacer and a wood block at muzzle and buttstock a couple other cardboard packing as I recall. I have seen a couple boxes online that appear similar and others with Winchester printed on the cardboard.

Third question is to approximate value and how much value will be lost if I decide to shoot it. Gun appears to be 100% to my eye. I’m not big on keeping a gun im not going to shoot, I will always be worried that the box will get ruined or rust will form. Besides being born in 1970’s, I will never again get the chance to be the first to pull a trigger on a 1955 gun.

Hope I haven’t bored you.

Jeff

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
March 21, 2019 - 6:31 pm

A light oiling of the metal surfaces will keep it from rusting.  Depending on where you live you should do this 1 to 2 times a year.  The “Gun appears to have dried cosmoline or similar over metal.”  This may just be dried oil and is an indicator that the gun has not been touched in years.  Sometimes this is a good sign for a buyer. It is up to you if you should use some gun oil to clean it off.  I generally do since I am not a seller.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
March 22, 2019 - 12:38 pm

Jeff, If you are a true collector new in the box is as good as it gets, if you are a shooter it’s no fun. I would post some pictures and determine the value of it now and the value after you shoot it. A rare gun would suffer a larger drop in value than a newer common gun. Take pictures of the box, if it’s not real you have less to loose. The term “new in the box” means original box. T/R

WACA Guest
March 22, 2019 - 3:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I would appreciate input on how to maintain a vintage new in box gun. Especially if cleaning off the original(?)packing grease or oil will reduce value? 

Jeff

WACA Guest
March 29, 2019 - 2:03 am

TR said
 Jeff, If you are a true collector new in the box is as good as it gets, if you are a shooter it’s no fun. I would post some pictures and determine the value of it now and the value after you shoot it. A rare gun would suffer a larger drop in value than a newer common gun. Take pictures of the box, if it’s not real you have less to loose. The term “new in the box” means original box. T/R  

TR said

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will get some pics up as soon as I can. In the process of moving my two girls and grandkids to Idaho. Your right as to being a shooter not having fun with this type of collector piece. I originally intended to shoot it and still might. I’m not attached to the idea of having a non shooter, I have a lot of collectible Winchestersin very nice to like new condition, I consider them shootable.

Jeff

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: 33wcf, Ben
Guest(s) 194
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323