Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1927 Model 94 30-30 questions
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 13, 2023 - 12:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jv38avl7f8xja8/IMG_2144.jpg?dl=0

Hello,

I recently reunited with my father’s 94 from 1927. I have looked around and don’t see any rifles with the features of this one. I know it has been modified (at the very least, buttstock has been cut down). It has an 18′ barrel and Lyman peep site. I am curious as to originality. The front and rear site look different than what I have found (flip-down rear dovetail, ramp front site) and the barrel band/front sight fitting all look very different than I have seen for that year/model. Please pardon the messy bench pics as it is currently disassembled for cleaning. I would like to know what features are stock and what model this may be. Pics to come as I figure out how to upload here

Thank you!

Robert

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
March 13, 2023 - 4:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello Robert,

The single picture you provided a URL to does not contain enough detail to comment on your questions.  

The barrel should be 20-inchs in length.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
WACA Guest
March 13, 2023 - 2:19 pm

Regarding the barrel length, is it possible the barrel has been cut down? I haven’t seen a front sight like this, though I am not that knowledgeable!

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
March 13, 2023 - 6:27 pm

Robert Daniels said
Regarding the barrel length, is it possible the barrel has been cut down? I haven’t seen a front sight like this, though I am not that knowledgeable!

The barrel has positively been cut (shortened), and neither the front or the rear sight is factory original.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
March 13, 2023 - 6:33 pm

7fwRqLJA.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
March 13, 2023 - 6:59 pm

Bert H. said The barrel has positively been cut (shortened), and neither the front or the rear sight is factory original.

But the silver lining to these problems is that you’ve got a Lyman #21 rcvr. sight worth $250-300.  Enough, if you sold it on ebay, to replace the buttstock.

WACA Guest
March 13, 2023 - 8:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thank you both so much! The rifle being my fathers, I will not be selling at this point. The butt stock has my dad’s initials carved in, so wont be replacing that either. How would you address the stock? The recoil pad is trashed, and the LOP is too short for me. Should I have a gunsmith install some spacers and new recoil pad? Alternately, I thought about just replacing the pad and using the lace-up leather pads that fit over to get some length? Ultimately, I will only be shooting it occasionally for old time sake.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6388
March 13, 2023 - 8:25 pm

Robert Daniels said Alternately, I thought about just replacing the pad and using the lace-up leather pads that fit over to get some length?

Good idea–if you did that, there’d be no need to replace the old pad.  I’ve seen some very good looking lace-on pads, but don’t know who made them; not Uncle Mike’s!

WACA Guest
March 13, 2023 - 11:51 pm

I was thinking of replacing the old pad with something somewhat period correct. It will still be too short so was maybe thinking I would use the leather pad over the old one. I would want a shorter one so as not to hide my dad’s (and my) initials.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4bwkm2xbzy9bbhi/IMG_2143.HEIC?dl=0

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 43
March 15, 2023 - 12:42 pm

Hello Robert,

I recently picked up a Winchester highwall, someone had cut the stock to 12″ and refitted the metal but plate.  I purchased one of these nice leather pads, added another pad inside and now have a LOP of 13 1/2″.  It looks very nice on the old 1885

https://www.buffaloarms.com/competition-butt-tamer.html

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
March 15, 2023 - 4:40 pm

I think the real silver lining here is you want to preserve your father’s carbine- and shoot it now and then.  Given the carbine was your fathers – and you will not sell it – I think it is cool that the barrel has been shortened.  He surely did this for a reason – perhaps to make it even easier to handle in the woods?  And as Clarence mentioned, the Lyman No. 21 receiver sight is a bonus.  I would stick the lace-up pad on and enjoy the carbine.  Looks like a fine hunting piece to me Cool

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
March 15, 2023 - 5:56 pm

If you need the LOP longer place a piece of something then put the pad on.  The piece doesn’t need to be attached as the lace up pad will hold it in place.

WACA Guest
March 19, 2023 - 5:58 pm

Thanks everyone. I took the rifle to a gunsmith who will replace the pad (the rubber was breaking down and dissolving ) and fixing and issue with the hammer/trigger. I should have it back in a week or two and looking forward to shooting it for the first time in 40 yrs! Thanks again for all the info and advice.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected]
Guest(s) 156
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261