Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
February 15, 2013 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Greetings,
I am looking at a 1985 that I am considering. However, there are a couple of things out of the norm that I am not sure of and would like other opinions before I go any further with this acquisition. The serial number is 60497, caliber .30-’03 (marked .30 US 1903).

My first concern is the barrel. It measures 20 3/4". The muzzle face is flat with a slight chamfer at the bore entrance. The front sight dovetail forward bottom edge is a hair under .75" from the muzzle. There is no obvious signs that the front sight location has been moved. This is not a carbine model. I have read that Winchester did offer the option to shorten barrels from standard lengths if requested. What is the possibility that this barrel length is factory?

My second concern is the rifle has the Marble automatic flexible joint tang sight. This sight is shown in the Old Gunsights collector’s guide mounted on a 1895. They also list an application code, W12, for the model 1895. I don’t believe that Lyman listed any tang sight with an application code for the model 1895. Is it possible that this tang sight was a factory installed sight?

Obviously I would like to be able to document which is probably not possible. In any event I would welcome your opinions on these points and any others. Thanks for reading.

Ted

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 15, 2013 - 11:46 pm

Ted,

The barrel has been cut down, and it is extremely unlikely to be factory work. Due to the high pressure created by the smokless powder cartridges chambered in the Model 1895, the front sights were not dovetailed into the barrels. Instead, a front sight lug was silver soldered to the barrel.

Winchester did not drill & tap the upper tang for a tang sight unless special ordered (and it was very rarely done). While it is possible that the Marbles tang sight was special ordered, the odds are greater that it was installed after the fact.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 16, 2013 - 7:03 am

Bert H.
Thanks for your reply. This barrel does have the front sight lug. My guess is a competent gunsmith could relocate the lug and re-solder without leaving any tell-tell signs.

One other thing I did not mention. On the left side of the receiver and located to the upper right of the Winchester and patent stampings is the following. Aug 6. 07. The font is clearly different from the rest of the stampings but is evenly stamped and professional. Could this be just a temporary way of adding the latest patent date?

Ted

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 16, 2013 - 1:44 pm

Yes it could. I have seen other examples of factory stampings that were added in the same fashion.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Chuck, 33wcf, bhutch, antler1, deerhunter, Peter Brigham
Guest(s) 124
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026