Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 25, 2013 - 4:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi, I am new to this Forum, I just acquired a Winchester Lee rifle, I did a little research on this rifle, it had a limited production run of 20,000 rifles being built, the first 10,000 were for the US Navy, the next 5,000 for civilian use, and the last 5,000 again for the US Navy, the serial number I have is 194XX, Winchester had the patent for 1895, 1896, and 1897,it is unfireable with the firing pin removed but, the rifle is in excellent shape, I will try to post some photos later, serial numbers are very legible, the Winchester writing on the side is clearly legible, stock is in great shape, sights work, slide up and down. My question what does anyone think the rifle is valued at, I realize the gun was at the end of production, probably never saw any action. any help would be appreciated, I will get photos posted by this weekend, thanks

WACA Guest
November 25, 2013 - 6:27 pm

Back in 2007, I decided that I might never again draw another breath unless I owned a Lee Navy that I could take out and shoot. I had $2500 in my Lee Navy fund and went shopping. Every example I found that I could actually hold & was for sale had an asking price of $4,000 or more.

Then, 2007-2008, a story went round about someone being killed while shooting a Lee Navy. The story said the firing pin & striker blew out of the rear of the bolt, pierced the shooter’s skull & killed him. Another story says that, back in the day, there was a modification to the bolts that made them safer. Those stories pretty much ended my desire to do a lot of shooting with one.

There is a book on the 1895 Lee Navy. I do not remember the name nor the author, but Buffalo Arms had it in their catalog. Also S&S Firearms has some Lee Navy parts, etc., and perhaps can connect you to other users. Both firms are quite reputable. I suggest you do a lot of reading and ask a lot of questions. Armed with proper knowledge, you can replace the firing pin & take it from there.

The original cartridges are collector’s items. A few months ago, I paid $11 for a WRACo armorer’s dummy. The clips are difficult to locate. S&S may be able to provide some. Purpose-made cartridge cases may (or may not) be available. I thought that a firm called Quality Ammunition located in Maryland made a run, but I am operating strictly from fuzzy memory. Also check out Buffalo Arms.

For experimental purposes, one can turn the rims off .220 Swift cases and expand the necks to .243. You can fire those cases, but the necks will be too short for good accuracy. You can form cases from .30-06 brass, but it takes a set of form & trim dies and a VERY sturdy press. Regular .243 jacketed bullets will work very well.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 26, 2013 - 1:27 pm

Thanks for the reply, I read the same story, I heard he had actually tried to shoot the gun after reloading and crimping a 7mm down to a 6mm, there was several different stories, I was advised to keep it as a wallhanger, I do want to make it operable but safe, I checked out S&S, thanks for that one, I only paid $50 bucs for the gun, so, I think I am safe. Thanks again

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2351
twobit: 2306