Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Winchester Rifle - Octagon Barrel - 20"
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 49
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 19, 2022 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I just acquired a 1894 Winchester Rifle with an octagonal barrel.  The features on the rifle that do not fit the what seems to be normal, as this rifle has the 20″ barrel. 

In addition, the rear site of the rifle appears to be located relatively close to the receiver.  It’s a 30-30 so nothing unique as far as the caliber is concerned. I am looking for a little guidance on this. Research indicates this one was made in 1907. I purchased a “Red Book” based upon recommendations in another topic in this forum. Cannot find any mention of a 1894 Rifle with this barrel length in the “Red Book”

I have seen other posts in Winchester Collector on “Short Rifles”.  Don’t know much about this one, so would rather avoid speculation. I saw a reference to “Armax” in the another topic in this forum.

2025B-11.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-12.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-13-1.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-14.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-1.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-2.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-3.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-4-1.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-5-1.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-6-1.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-7.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-8.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-9.JPGImage Enlarger2025B-10.JPGImage Enlarger 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Ohio
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 384
February 19, 2022 - 8:02 pm

What I have learned is…..

it should have an 8 3/8 forearm( it could have the 9 3/8, but if I remember correctly most 20 inch have the shorter)

rear dovetail should be 4 inches from receiver instead of the usual 5

front dovetail should be an inch

mag tube should have rounded cap instead of flat.

a better picture of the muzzle will help everyone tell if it’s a factory or non factory work

add a few pictures of the caliber and any other stamping on the barrel and that should help verify too

Ohio
WACA Member
February 19, 2022 - 8:09 pm

Upon second look, it looks to have the wrong hammer for a 1907 gun.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
February 19, 2022 - 10:06 pm

Other than the hammer replacement with a much later one (as Bill mentioned), it looks like a fairly common configuration of an 1894 short rifle. Can you confirm the fore-end length? Should be either 8 3/8″ or 9 3/8″. The shorter is more commonly found on the 20″ rifles. Rear sight dovetail should be 4″ or 5″ respectively and based on the wood length. Looks like shorter wood and dovetail to me but worth asking. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 49
February 19, 2022 - 11:20 pm

All – Thanks for the input! I don’t have the rifle yet. Won it in auction yesterday!  Will keep all posted when it arrives!

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
February 19, 2022 - 11:31 pm

I don’t understand why Mr. Hanzel would say the magazine plug would be rounded instead of flat?  Unless it had a shorter 1/2 or 3/4 magazine tube.  RDB

Ohio
WACA Member
February 19, 2022 - 11:41 pm

The one one on the right is a full mag short rifle with the rounded cap as opposed to the flat cap on the left. I was taught that short rifles with full length magazine had the rounded edge from the factory. 

image-3.jpgImage Enlargerimage-2.jpgImage Enlarger

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
February 20, 2022 - 12:56 am

rogertherelic said
I don’t understand why Mr. Hanzel would say the magazine plug would be rounded instead of flat?  Unless it had a shorter 1/2 or 3/4 magazine tube.  RDB  

Agreed

Bill Hanzel said
The one one on the right is a full mag short rifle with the rounded cap as opposed to the flat cap on the left. I was taught that short rifles with full length magazine had the rounded edge from the factory. 

image-3.jpgImage Enlargerimage-2.jpgImage Enlarger  

Your picture shows two flat magazine caps. The rounded ones look much different and are found on shorter magazines (as Roger correctly stated). For full magazine short rifles, I’ve never heard of anything different. Thats new to me. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Ohio
WACA Member
February 22, 2022 - 12:30 am

Well it turns out I was taught right, but  I understood it wrong,I am glad I posted and learned I was thinking the wrong thing, hopefully it I didn’t cause the original poster any confusion or trouble….

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
February 22, 2022 - 2:11 am

Bill

No harm, no foul and I can also see what you are observing with regards to the flat cap bevel. There seems to be various styles of those caps over the years, and some are certainly more rounded on the edges than others. I don’t believe it had anything to do with barrel length, but rather the machining of that time period and possibly carbine vs. rifle caps.

I only own a few full length (non take-down) rifles to compare with. I’ll start paying more attention to see if there’s some sort of pattern. 

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, long spur hollow, Darrin Smith, Pwog
Guest(s) 50
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6397
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263