Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Value Without Redfield Sight
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 113
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 25, 2020 - 2:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

What would be a good value for this rifle at auction if it hadn’t had the Redfield sight added?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878670492

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
October 25, 2020 - 3:05 pm

Old-Win said
What would be a good value for this rifle at auction if it hadn’t had the Redfield sight added?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878670492  

Based upon what it sold for, I would say the sight impacted it plenty.  Actually, I like the rifle.  To me, it looked like a very enjoyable shooter with many positive special features.  I wouldn’t mind owning that rifle and I thought the price was quite favorable for what it was.  I really dislike reblued finishes, sanded wood etc., but I could live with the addition of this sight.  It would however greatly impact what I would be willing to pay.   Had I seen it before the auction ended I would have felt tempted. I could see myself going to the next bid increment but not beyond that.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
October 25, 2020 - 4:55 pm

The Redfield receiver sight easily cut the value of that rifle in half, or slightly more.

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
October 25, 2020 - 5:34 pm

Bert H. said
The Redfield receiver sight easily cut the value of that rifle in half, or slightly more.  

Bert – 

I agree with you. In fact, I’m sure that’s why I was so attracted to this rifle (i.e. at the price it sold for).  It has a detraction, but given I could personally still enjoy that rifle despite the sight, it was a fine deal in my mind.  Another factor that should be considered in my comments – I really like the .32 special.  That is not true of the majority out there.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
October 25, 2020 - 6:03 pm

You pegged it Steve as I see it, and Bert did, too, especially where the Red Book is concerned.  The sight look like it’s been with the rifle from the start.

James

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
October 26, 2020 - 3:16 am

I like the rifle, wasn’t too sure about the checkering but no one else has mentioned it. I’m a big fan of receiver sights and the 32WS but bottom line; I don’t need another “shooter”, even a fancy one.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
October 26, 2020 - 4:26 pm

TXGunNut said
I like the rifle, wasn’t too sure about the checkering but no one else has mentioned it. I’m a big fan of receiver sights and the 32WS but bottom line; I don’t need another “shooter”, even a fancy one.

Mike  

Mike – I agree with your comment and I’m in the same boat.  However, I have quite a history of not needing another, “shooter” yet somehow they kept showing up here.  Sticking to a bottom line… easier said then done.  I don’t think I am alone here?

Hershey, PA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 29
December 19, 2020 - 4:35 am

One of the problems of not being able to physically examine an item is that I tend to be overly cautious, and often miss a rifle like this one.  With only the photos to go on, the checkering looked suspiciously worn compared to the rest of the rifle, and that was enough to stop me from bidding.  The Redfield sight dropped the price to affordable (for me) and was something that doesn’t bother me at all; actually, a plus.

Soon after that auction’s close, I won an 1894 takedown in .32 WS that has (most likely) non-factory receiver sight holes.  I now have a new research project to identify and locate the most likely period sight I can find.  Thanks to the many forum members who provided invaluable information regarding what I should look for.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306