Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 16
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 5, 2017 - 5:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Any insight on engraved receiver with gold inlays..Engraver D.H.? Serial # 867- – -. Thanks

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10854
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 5, 2017 - 5:45 am

Yes, I do have some insight… it is extremely unlikely that it is factory original engraving. A complete serial number and pictures of the gun would be helpful.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 3:40 pm

Thanks for the reply…Do you have to be a paying member to post pics?  The rifle appears restored, Stock and barrel.Bore is shiny clean.The receiver is engraved and inlayed with puma and bear in gold. I have some pics..Like to find out more about SRC. Thanks

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 6:29 pm
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10854
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 5, 2017 - 7:24 pm

Brian,

It most definitely was engraved after the fact (outside of the factory). While the quality of the engraving is reasonably good, it is nowhere near the quality of the Winchester’s factory engravers.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 9:00 pm

Thanks Burt for lending an eye….Never really expected it to be.

The price didn’t expect it to be factory ..Sure is nice anywho!

Next stop is the range…Keep you posted.  Thanks Brian

Montgomery, Texas (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 114
February 5, 2017 - 9:16 pm

Very Nice Gun.

just wondering what the tip off is regarding factory original besides having a Cody Letter?

When I look at the engraving versus a factory original, it appears to not be quite as deep into the metal, although that could be the lighting or my eyes.  The subject matter seems a bit out of synch with some that I have seen as well, but would guess that you could ask the factory for just about anything or any style.

Would the factory engravers have provided a sign of some sort to either identify themselves or the origin of the engraving?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Regards,

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
February 5, 2017 - 9:44 pm

Beautiful Carbine.

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
February 5, 2017 - 10:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I went through a phase with an interest in engraving.  I was thinking of commissioning some work on a Colt.  On recommendation of others more knowledgeable than I, I picked up “Advanced Drawing of Scrolls For Engravers, Artists, Designers, Craftsmen” by Ron Smith (2005).  I studied it closely and read it in detail and yet don’t consider myself qualified to speak authoritatively on the subject.  I can, though, as some judge once opined “know it when I see it.”  The scrolls on this 94 are very crude, not smooth in the cutting (jerky), lack detail, uniform background, or uniformity in depth, and appear to be done by an artist who is trying hard and on his way but not there yet.  While some lack of uniformity is done with artistic intent, that does not appear to be the case here.

I guess even the best would admit they are not there yet and are always learning/perfecting but on a scale of 1-10 I’d put this at a 5 or 6.  Way better than anything I could do, but that’s not saying much because I can’t do anything.  For comparison, I’d put most factory engraving at an 8 or 9.

Just my opinion.

P.S.  Note what appears to be the start of an abandoned scroll above the tip of the feline tail.

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 10:27 pm

Can anybody elaborate on a lay out line my buddy found with a magnifier glass? It’s a red horizontal line behind the left back paw on the puma….thanks

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 44
February 5, 2017 - 10:36 pm

Huck Riley said
I went through a phase with an interest in engraving.  I was thinking of commissioning some work on a Colt.  On recommendation of others more knowledgeable than I, I picked up “Advanced Drawing of Scrolls For Engravers, Artists, Designers, Craftsmen” by Ron Smith (2005).  I studied it closely and read it in detail and yet don’t consider myself qualified to speak authoritatively on the subject.  I can, though, as some judge once opined “know it when I see it.”  The scrolls on this 94 are very crude, not smooth in the cutting (jerky), lack detail, uniform background, or uniformity in depth, and appear to be done by an artist who is trying hard and on his way but not there yet.  While some lack of uniformity is done with artistic intent, that does not appear to be the case here.

I guess even the best would admit they are not there yet and are always learning/perfecting but on a scale of 1-10 I’d put this at a 5 or 6.  Way better than anything I could do, but that’s not saying much because I can’t do anything.  For comparison, I’d put most factory engraving at an 8 or 9.

Just my opinion.

P.S.  Note what appears to be the start of an abandoned scroll above the tip of the feline tail.  

If you are talking about the little circle, Isn’t that a pin? I personally thinks it looks pretty nice. Enjoy shooting it.

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 10:39 pm

On the DH, it’s hard for me to see the H but if that is what it is, you might try looking in a data base of Firearms Engravers Guild of America and/or the Society of American Engravers and see if you can match the initials with names.  Also, there is something above the screw on the butt plate that I can’t make out.  What is that?

If this is the early work of someone who went on to be an expert of some renown, it could be worth even more.

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 10:49 pm

lund2075 said

If you are talking about the little circle, Isn’t that a pin?   

It could be, but as a lay person, I don’t know what a “pin” is in engraving.  I’m talking about the un-closed circle in the mountains and not the closed circle in the border.  The curved line coming into the tail from the rear also looks like the start of a leaf structure progression.  

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 10:52 pm

Thanks for the reply and leads…I think there’s some talent that might lye ahead for D.H. I will post a better pic.. thanks for the compliments..Have to roll…Brian

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 10:57 pm

It’s a red horizontal line ..Directly out of left back paw..It went all the through engraving but must have wiped it off when wiping it down with oil..It can still be seen..Left back paw of puma…

WACA Guest
February 5, 2017 - 11:00 pm

lund2075:

Sorry, I was missing your point.  Yes, that appears to be the pin coming through the receiver.  I guess the effort to engrave around it, leaving an open end, and some shading had me thinking it was intended as the beginning of a scroll.  Sometimes screw heads and pins are incorporated into design elements like scrolls.

Again, my bust. 

WACA Guest
February 6, 2017 - 3:58 am

Yes that’s a pin, engraved in the scenery..I didn’t reply correctly to your Question..But thanks for your response…Brian

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
February 6, 2017 - 4:33 am

It is modern engraving done with a powered engraving tool. It looks like a novice engraver judging from the irregularities I see.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
February 6, 2017 - 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Bob..I learned a few things..Kinda Unique! Like all firearms..

That’s why we are here! Thanks

WACA Guest
February 6, 2017 - 7:30 pm

I need Columbo on the case! Thanks for the reply Huck…

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., Bill Hockett, Jim McKee, Antonio, TR, freebird1968
Guest(s) 175
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261