Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 SRC Trigger Pull
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 486
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 15, 2017 - 2:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have been looking at the 94 src’ and notice a  slight “play” or free movement of about a quarter inch or more of the trigger.This appears to be normal in the uncooked position. On a particular src, the trigger has about double the free movement in the unlocked position, but the gun still cycles into the cocked position, and the trigger activates the bolt through the normal firing movement.

What would explain the abnormal amount of free play in the trigger before the lever cycles into the cocked position ?                  

Bill 

Tom Doniphon
WACA Guest
July 15, 2017 - 3:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Just checked three of my carbines, and they all have that same free play.  It’s slightly more so on the oldest and most used carbine of the three.  I assume it’s just worn parts, but would much like to hear what the others have to say.

Bill, my carbines also have this same free play in  the cocked position too.  Do your’s?

California
WACA Member
July 17, 2017 - 9:32 pm

Tom,

Sorry for the delay in answering. My src needs a spring replacement, which a member graciously provided here at the show. Answering your question : there is very little play , if any, in the trigger when the bolt is forward in the firing position.

Now, for me, is the adventure of installing the new spring!

Good luck on yours !

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
July 22, 2017 - 2:59 pm

How’s your adventure going, Bill? Haven’t noticed any unusual movement in any of my 94’s, they all seem pretty floppy too me.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
California
WACA Member
July 22, 2017 - 3:47 pm

I was just pondering it as I checked in on the Forum. I have not started, but am about to. I looked at a few You Tube videos on disassembly/ assembly. I was going to drop Mike Hunter a note with a question, but will throw it out here.

Does a 94 carbine, mfg. 1948, have to completely remove the lower trigger assembly to get at the spring ? ( not the main spring ) . Mike showed me the screws to remove, but I don’t recall if the entire unit has to be removed.

Are you enjoying your new acquisitions? Also, thanks for dinner, it was fun getting to know you and the other guys.

I spent a few hours in the McKraken Library looking at a few boxes of correspondence. That was really a great experience.

I would encourage all to try it when visiting the museums.

Bill

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 51
July 22, 2017 - 5:18 pm

The sear is a separate component from the trigger. The sear can be fully engaged in the safety or full cock notch of the hammer, and there will still be some play in the trigger. Spring tension keeps the sear engaged with the hammer.

GMC(SW) - USN Retired 1978 - 2001

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
July 22, 2017 - 8:47 pm

To get at that spring, take off the butt-stock.  Remove the lower tang assembly.  The spring is then easily accessible.  And you will get to learn how the parts work together.

California
WACA Member
July 24, 2017 - 9:29 pm

I got down to the disassembly just before removing the lower tang assembly. I cannot see any way the spring, with the internal screw holding it down to the inside bottom of the lower tang, has anything at all to do with the floppy trigger. After a few YouTubes, and some mentions of loose triggers on the 94 carbine in the post war ( 1948 ) period this flatband carbine I have will stay as it was put together ! The entire cycle works fine, and the trigger is firm when it should be.

Now, selling this baby gives me confidence others are the same. I never ran across the play in the earlier models I collect & shoot ( pre-M1894’s )

Thanks for all the input ! ( or tell me I’m missing something )

Bill

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354