Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1894 Saddle Ring - questions
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 7, 2021 - 1:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi,

New member here. I recently made an impulse purchase of a Winchester 1894 saddle ring carbine. As I’ve only owned modern guns until now, this is something entirely out of my wheelhouse. Such being the case, it’s difficult for me to assess the real value of the gun. The fact that the rear sight is not original and the stock features one of the previous owners’ very inexpert attempt at checkering, I assume that they are significant detractors – particularly the rear sight.

Would appreciate if one of the experts here could give me a rough idea of its value.

Serial # is 189185. The gun is chambered in .32-40.

01.jpegImage Enlarger02.jpegImage Enlarger03.jpegImage Enlarger04.jpegImage Enlarger05.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
October 7, 2021 - 1:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Welcome!

Hard to say without clear pics because the added checkering is a huge wild card. It likely destroys much of the collector value but if the rest of the gun is good it may be worthwhile to hunt down some suitable wood. As is it has some value as a “shooter” but that depends again on the checkering and how objectionable a buyer finds it. If the checkering was believed to have been done early in the last century some may consider your carbine a desirable piece of Americana. In any case it’s a pretty cool carbine in an interesting chambering.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
October 7, 2021 - 1:28 am

Thanks for the reply – I updated the original post with pictures.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
October 7, 2021 - 1:43 am

I understand completely why you bought this carbine. It’s a good, honest gun with a truckload of character. I like it but I’m a sucker for a gun that has obviously been there, done that.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
October 7, 2021 - 2:05 am

saerto said  The fact that the rear sight is not original and the stock features one of the previous owners’ very inexpert attempt at checkering, I assume that they are significant detractors – particularly the rear sight.

You’re right–the rear sight queers the whole gun; but that’s easily correctable.  Evidently the would-be checkerer had brains enough to call it quits before he made too much of a mess, so I don’t find that hugely objectionable on a piece in this cond.  But on a carbine, the Marbles sight is like a slap in the face.  (Actually, it’s a nice sight you should have no trouble selling on ebay, to help pay for the proper one.)

WACA Member
October 7, 2021 - 3:01 am

clarence said

saerto said  The fact that the rear sight is not original and the stock features one of the previous owners’ very inexpert attempt at checkering, I assume that they are significant detractors – particularly the rear sight.

You’re right–the rear sight queers the whole gun; but that’s easily correctable.  Evidently the would-be checkerer had brains enough to call it quits before he made too much of a mess, so I don’t find that hugely objectionable on a piece in this cond.  But on a carbine, the Marbles sight is like a slap in the face.  (Actually, it’s a nice sight you should have no trouble selling on ebay, to help pay for the proper one.)  

That is precisely what I’d like to do – return the carbine to its period correct configuration with an appropriate rear sight. This may be a question with a very obvious answer, but where would I source the part? Moreover, how would I go about finding a competent gunsmith to install one?

NY
WACA Member
October 7, 2021 - 3:20 am

saerto said This may be a question with a very obvious answer, but where would I source the part? Moreover, how would I go about finding a competent gunsmith to install one?

EBAY!!!  Do you have a brass punch?  Then YOU are competent to install it.

NY
WACA Member
October 7, 2021 - 3:27 am

What you need at a decent BIN price:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/265313278952?hash=item3dc5e75be8:g:0EUAAOSwT2lhQNhd

No, it isn’t in the best cond., but neither is your carbine; it would look “right” on your gun, as a better one would not. 

WACA Member
October 7, 2021 - 3:32 am

clarence said
What you need at a decent BIN price:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/265313278952?hash=item3dc5e75be8:g:0EUAAOSwT2lhQNhd

No, it isn’t in the best cond., but neither is your carbine; it would look “right” on your gun, as a better one would not.   

Thanks, Clarence – this is very helpful.

RickC
WACA Guest
October 7, 2021 - 5:41 am

clarence said

Better than the marbles but t’s not period correct. His serial number would’ve had a V notch rear 44.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2344
twobit: 2295