Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 magazine tube question
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Arkie
WACA Guest
January 14, 2022 - 5:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have an original 1892 in 38-40 made in 1904, rifle length, that I bought today that has had some use.  Fine rusty patina everywhere, and I started taking it apart to clean up.  I cannot get the magazine tube out.  I removed the small pin, but cannot get the magazine tube cap off because it’s screw is seized in place.  Looking at Numrich, and others, there are two screws listed – a long and a short.  The long screw protrudes into a divet in the barrel.  Am I to assume that that is what is not allowing me to remove the tube?  There is some rust between the tube and the barrel, but I have it soaking.  I thought about getting a replacement cap and a new screw – will a gun of this vintage have the long screw?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 14, 2022 - 2:05 pm

In addition to removing the pin in the mag tub hanger ring, and backing out the screw on the end of the magazine tube, you may also need to remove the forend stock nose cap screws.

Use some penetrating oil (Kroil is my choice) on the screw(s) that do not want to break loose. Also apply a drop or two to magazine tube right where it enters the mag ring.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 14, 2022 - 3:34 pm

I cant remember when the switch to the short vs long magazine end cap occurred.  You could possibly run a piece of paper between the tube and barrel to see if it passes (short screw) or stops (long screw). 

Regardless, as Bert mentioned, would soak the screws and magazine retaining band in the penetrating oil of your choice to remove.  Sometimes there is so much crud and rust between the barrel and magazine tube the magazine tube gets froze.  May benefit you to put some penetrating oil between the mag tube and barrel to try and break down some of that crud.  Also, remember, if you get the magazine tube to move, the dovetail requires that you rotate the retaining band to remove the band, it doenst drive out from left to right.  Mark Douglas has a video on here somewhere that shows how they rotate off.  Removing the forearm cap may also relieve some pressure on the magazine tube. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: cj57, Chuck, 1873man, sb, antler1, A_Clever_Name
Guest(s) 65
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026