Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 deluxe family
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 29, 2017 - 5:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Chris/1892 Takedown;

Tell us a little bit about the big boy in your signature page – not the hat or the saddle but the model 1876 Deluxe – its not like you see one of them everyday. I have been thinking about that gun every time I see a post from you on this forum and would like to hear more about it. Thanks, Burt

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
December 29, 2017 - 10:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Burt,

That 1876 rifle has been with in the family for almost 50 years.  Back in the late 60’s and up until the later 70’s my dad owned a gun store and collected Winchesters and Colts, mostly 1873, 1876, and 1886 deluxe or special order guns.  He had some guy up in Wyoming or Montana somewhere (never did recall hearing who he was) that would come across high condition guns and ship them to my dad to see if he was interested.  I remember him telling me one time that if it was less than 90% condition he would send it back unless he already had a buyer.  Anyway, to make a long story shorter, he probably picked this one up somewhere along the way.  In 1976 the gun store burned down and never reopened.  By that time he had started selling off some of his collection to get more into the cattle business.   It makes me cringe to think of some of the guns he once owned but he always said he made more money in the cattle business than he did in the gun business.  For this particular rifle, he said he never sold it because it was lesser condition and didnt think there was much demand or something to that effect.  When I asked him what it looked like before the fire he said it was in about 70-80% condition.  The rifle was damaged pretty bad in the fire (hanging on the wall in the store), the stocks are dark, almost charred in places, and there is no finish left and is heavily pitted, likely from not being mitigated right after the fire and subsequently being stored under the bed in a scabbard.

The serial is late production #63827, in 45-75, H checked deluxe pg, standard barrel length with swivels, 7 leaf express sight, beaches front sight, and believe long range tang sight, set trigger.   Originally had a case hardened receiver if I remember right (cant find the letter).  Dont believe the sling swivels letter to the gun but pretty sure they belong there.  There were 7-8 others in similar configuration shipped.  Ive managed to find one in a 1970’s Gun Report classified that was consecutive to this one, and one other that was a serial digit off. 

From an early age I was always drawn to the 1876 rifles, still am, but my pocket book is only so deep. 

Hopefully it will be passed along in the family along with the 1894 Winchesters my grandfather and grandmother used for hunting.   

Chris

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
December 29, 2017 - 11:47 pm

Chris;

Thank you for taking the time to share the family history of that 76. Earlier this week 1873 man had shared a story and picture of an engraved 94 with family history. I really enjoy hearing those stories. When you start talking to guys about their old Winchester’s there seems to be quite a few that have the bug because of genetics. I grew up on a ranch in western South Dakota and my dad just had one old 94 carbine – it fed the family on many occasions. I still have the old 30-30! It is not collectible but it sure put a lot of meat on the table. I only have one kid and he just never developed an interest in the Winchester’s. Over the last few years I have sold off a lot of mine because I don’t want my wife to be burdened with too many – not that I am planning on dropping over anytime real soon! There was a time when there were not that many interested in the 76’s but I think that has changed. I know you like pistol grips so I am adding a photo of a 76 I have – has been in my safe for 30 years but otherwise I know nothing of its history. Of the 63k 76’s produced it is my understanding only a little over 3300 were 50 caliber with a vast majority having British proof marks. This gun does not have them so its history is on the American frontier – I bet it put a little meat on the table! Burt

model-76.jpgImage Enlarger

76deluxe.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
December 30, 2017 - 6:26 am

Burt,

Thanks for posting the pic–thats a nice 76 deluxe in one of my favorite barrel/mag configurations for any model–OB with button mag.  The only thing better (for me) would be a 1/2 oct with full mag.   As you said, most of the 50EX rifles Ive seen have had British proofs.

Chris

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: twobit, Tom D, TXGunNut
Guest(s) 167
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364