Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 16, 2017 - 6:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Pics look nice, spent a bit of time getting the grime & fingerprint rust off. 

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
May 17, 2017 - 12:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TXGunNut said
Sad day yesterday, dropped the 1886 back off at the orphanage. Looked at several recent arrivals all from the same collection but nothing interested me enough to bring one home.  

I got a feeling another one’s in your future. There’s quite a few nice 86s around. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 188
May 17, 2017 - 9:03 am

supergimp said
She was a beauty…

Image Enlarger  

Bert what about the famous Ausie designed and built 1971 Ford XY GTHO PHASE 3.

Smashed all records in it time, reported to be the fastest stock 4 door saloon car then.

My Dad bought one new and I remember it well on the back roads my mum turning blue when dad would bump the 100mph mark.

Straight out of the shop, they could pull 160 mph. In 1971 they sold for $3200, Last one sold out hear I believe just short of the mill.

If my dad still had his I wouldn’t have to work now.LOL

Hear is a link if you guys have not seen or heard of it, doing a nostalgic run round the world famous Bathurst race track, where it smashed all records in 71 by the Canadian driver Allan Moffit.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=forD+1971+GTHO&&view=detail&mid=7BA6530167AEC75EE52E7BA6530167AEC75EE52E&FORM=VRDGAR

Tony

West of Fresno, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 172
May 20, 2017 - 11:01 pm

Pontiacs; I’m not trying to be a smart a$$ but you do remember that the first Gran Tourismo Omologato was a Ferrari.  Hehehehe….BK

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 491
July 5, 2017 - 9:07 pm

Today, I pulled my old daily driver out of the barn and as I washed the layers of dust and bird crap off, I remembered how this thread kind of got hijacked by some of us old hot-rodders.  So I thought I’d steer it back with a few pictures of a muscle car with some Winchester bling added.  The best of both worlds.  In this case, an old Plymouth with six barrels on the hood and under it.  Most muscle cars are photographed with bikini-clad women, I’m hoping this group might like one pictured with deluxe Winchesters.

IMG_0520.JPG-3.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_0518.JPG-2.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_0516.JPG-1.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
July 5, 2017 - 9:17 pm

Nice deluxe rifles but I’d really have to see the bikini clad women next to the “Cuda” to tell which complements the muscle car better.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
July 5, 2017 - 9:18 pm

I would like to see a picture of the six barrels under the hood!

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
July 6, 2017 - 2:37 am

Nothing like the sound of six venturis sucking in large amounts of air and the occasional low-flying bird. I used to tell myself I was going to build one more car. I think I’ll just enjoy everyone else’s.

Nicely done, Mark. A little early for bikinis up there anyway. Wink

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Great Basin
WACA Member
July 6, 2017 - 1:41 pm

Bert H. said

Bert  

For Bert and TX.  Sorry guys, no bikini models in my neck of the woods, but there are some darned cute cowgirls.  Maybe next time.

IMG_0522.JPG.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_0523.JPG.jpgImage Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
July 6, 2017 - 3:22 pm

Mark Douglas said

Bert H. said

Bert  

For Bert and TX.  Sorry guys, no bikini models in my neck of the woods, but there are some darned cute cowgirls.  Maybe next time.

IMG_0522.JPG.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_0523.JPG.jpgImage Enlarger  

Nice!  I was not aware that Mopar offered the 6-pack set-up on the 340 CID engines.  I friend of mine had a ’71 Challenger with the 440 CID engine and the factory 6-pack… it ate lots of gas!!  My ’68 Dodge Charger R/T had the 383 Magnum, which I tweaked to approximately 475 hp (900 CFM Carter 4-barrel sitting on an Offenhauser tunnel-ram intake, an Isky race Cam w/solid lifters, and 2-inch headers. It already had the dual point distributer.  The 1968 383 CID engines used the 440 heads, which I had milled, raising the compression from 10:1 to 11:1.  It has fast as hell in a straight line, but really sucked its way through that 25-gal gas tank in a hurry!!

Bert (a long time Mopar fanatic)

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
July 7, 2017 - 2:33 am

Mark, that’s an amazing and very desirable car. One of my favorite muscle cars of all time. I’ve always collected older Corvettes (mostly 65>75) but got a wild hair and bought a new 2017 Grand Sport the other day. The first ‘new’ Vette I’ve bought in 40 years. I love the design and performance is outstanding 460HP, 0-60 3.6 tops out at about 190. 

This one got loaded up in Indianapolis this afternoon and I should have it Saturday morning.

Image Enlarger 

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
July 7, 2017 - 11:35 am

Kevin,

Nice corvette.  I really like the new C7’s.

Al

Great Basin
WACA Member
July 7, 2017 - 12:14 pm

Congrats Kevin.  She’s a beauty.  While mine was built for the Trans-Am racing circuit nearly 50 years ago with state of the art performance and handling features, it doesn’t compare to the performance of today’s high end muscle cars.  I’d like to hear what 190 mph feels like.  I never had mine over 135 and that was a few decades ago when I was a whole lot braver than I am today.

For it’s maiden voyage, maybe you should drive it out to Cody next weekend and show it off.Cool

Great Basin
WACA Member
July 7, 2017 - 12:46 pm

Bert H. said

Nice!  I was not aware that Mopar offered the 6-pack set-up on the 340 CID engines.  I friend of mine had a ’71 Challenger with the 440 CID engine and the factory 6-pack… it ate lots of gas!!  My ’68 Dodge Charger R/T had the 383 Magnum, which I tweaked to approximately 475 hp (900 CFM Carter 4-barrel sitting on an Offenhauser tunnel-ram intake, an Isky race Cam w/solid lifters, and 2-inch headers. It already had the dual point distributer.  The 1968 383 CID engines used the 440 heads, which I had milled, raising the compression from 10:1 to 11:1.  It has fast as hell in a straight line, but really sucked its way through that 25-gal gas tank in a hurry!!

Bert (a long time Mopar fanatic)  

The 340 six pack was only offered in 1970 as part of special packages on the AAR ‘Cuda and Challenger T/A.  They only made enough of them to make them legal to race in the Trans Am circuit. 

Believe it or not, it’s pretty easy on fuel if you keep your foot out of it.  Runs on the center 350 cfm carb during normal driving.  When you put your foot in it, the 500 cfm outboards kick in and it goes to 1,350 cfm.  Fuel economy suffers rather dramatically at that point. 

Fortunately, I managed to put it away and hang onto it.  Didn’t pay much more for it than each of the Winchesters in the picture.

Look forward to swapping some muscle car stories at Cody if we can take a break from the Winchesters for that long.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 588
July 7, 2017 - 12:59 pm

Mark, Bert, etc,

I wasn’t aware we had so many motor heads!  Suppose I shouldn’t be.  I had my 2015 Challenger SRT at Cody last year (my son and I had a ball driving it there and back).  Styling very reminiscent of the originals, which is why I got it.  485 hp, and I think about 460 lbs/ft if I recall correctly.  Also a supposed 192 mph capability, but I will never find out.  Don’t have the reactions nor am I willing to take the chances on the roads.  Would have to be on a closed course.

Other cars in my stable are a 1964 Chrysler 300-K with the standard high performance 413, single four barrel (Carter AFB), 360 hp, automatic trans, black leather buckets, etc.  The most production numbers of the letter cars at basically 3000 hardtops, 600 converts (mine a hardtop).  Optional engine was the same as the ’63 300-J with the cross rams, dual Carters, producing a reported 390 hp (some say it was under rated for insurance).  Few were factory equipped with that engine though.  I still would like to get a ram equipped car, but my interests in them is waning, esp after having the Challenger to play with.  Then I have a 1968 New Yorker with 440, single 4bbl.  Used to be the standard at 350 hp, but I have played with it over the many years, and it is probably approaching the 375 hp version, with dual exhausts, TNT cam shaft, etc.  I got to put some of the first miles on it in Nov of ’67.  Never been in salt so no rust.  Used to be my main car after Grandpa died and I got it when it was 4 years old.  It has been the most comfortable road car I have owned, and still is.  Just sucks gas like there is no tomorrow, though.  Lets get together over a cold one at Cody and talk guns and cars, guys!

TimLaugh

Forum Posts: 2110
July 7, 2017 - 2:14 pm

You guys lost me, I have never owned a car in my life.  I have had 4×4 pickups since I was 14.  My current truck only has 385 hp but it has 900 ft/lbs of torque.  It won’t even come close to you guys on the track but you can’t catch me in the desert 😉

20131129_171400.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_2778.JPGImage Enlarger

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
July 7, 2017 - 3:25 pm

No need for speed in the backcountry.

DSCN0977.JPGImage Enlarger

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
July 10, 2017 - 12:03 pm

Mark Douglas said
Congrats Kevin.  She’s a beauty.  While mine was built for the Trans-Am racing circuit nearly 50 years ago with state of the art performance and handling features, it doesn’t compare to the performance of today’s high end muscle cars.  I’d like to hear what 190 mph feels like.  I never had mine over 135 and that was a few decades ago when I was a whole lot braver than I am today.

For it’s maiden voyage, maybe you should drive it out to Cody next weekend and show it off.Cool  

That would be a Great road trip. 

Had planned on attending the Cody show, but not able. Hopefully next year. 

WACA Member
August 10, 2017 - 1:14 am

Here’s my “hot rod” but she’s not as quick or flashy as some of the above. She’s my hunting/road trip/shooting rig but the engine is only a little different from the 5.0 Mustang GT’s. Quick enough and plenty of power for the sloppy stuff as well. In this pic we’d just driven over six miles of very sloppy S TX ranch roads hauling a nice enough little buck, two old Winchesters and one fat & happy Texas gun nut.

Local constable (bowtie fanboy) looked at the pic and asked if that’s where I broke down. Told him nope, that’s where I stopped to take a leak. Wink

IMG_1273.JPGImage Enlarger

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 183
August 11, 2017 - 6:00 pm

Tx gun nut:

Reading your earlier post — I have to think your statement of rarity of 1886s to 1892s and 1894s was meant for the model itself and not the casecoloring aspect. 1892s and 1894s are far scarcer with cased receivers than the 1886.  Of course you are correct if you meant production numbers.

Regards,

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Burt Humphrey, deerhunter, Tom D
Guest(s) 148
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322