Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 .33 Winchester
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Northwest Missouri
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 120
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 20, 2019 - 3:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Good evening everyone.  I was watching the rifle in the link below on Proxibid and had thought about attending the auction in person, but that did not work out.  The photos are marginal at best and with the description of 75% blue on the barrel, 60%  wood finish and a gray receiver, I am trying to understand the hammer price.  The curved butt plate is uncommon in these later rifles and it is a takedown, but $8,100.00 seems extreme.  Any thoughts? Or two people who wanted the same thing and were unwilling to stop.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Military-Artifacts/Firearms/Winchester-mod-1886-33-WCF-cal-lever-action-rifle-ser-153574-75-BLUE-ON/lotInformation/47596369

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 20, 2019 - 3:47 am

Must have been a lot better in person, can’t tell if it’s a takedown or solid frame from those pics. Your “determined bidders” theory has merit.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
May 20, 2019 - 3:01 pm

Maybe a bidder had a typo in their bid amount.  Perhaps they intended to bid $810 and entered $8100 by mistake.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
May 20, 2019 - 3:39 pm

It seems to me any M1886 will bring a premium. They are probably the most sought after Winchester. I have seen a few factory upgraded rifles go for $300,000+. 99% of us cannot afford that. IMHO, they are the best looking Winchester ever made. Especially the case colored ones. The rifle shown is not worth that much, but what do I know. I only have one 1886.  Big Larry

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 838
May 20, 2019 - 3:48 pm

Hard to tell from the pictures,but it appears the rifle in question ,has no finish or bluing left on it.Unless there is something very special about the rifle,that we do not see in the pictures or know about.It certainly does not appear to be a $8100.00 rifle to my eye.Smile

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
May 20, 2019 - 6:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Suddenly feel like I’m in a surreal world! Is this price anywhere near legit? For an ‘about’ ordinary 1886 in .33 Win? I do note the buttstock config. But golly! I have two basically decent extra lightweight Models 1886 in .33 Win. A third essentially the same but for full length mag. All coincidentally, vintage 1903. Isn’t a .33 chambering, bottom of the value barrel for the 1886?
Now wondering if I need to revise my estate plan, taking into consideration somewhere around 25K value for the several. 🙂 I’d placed maybe $800 estimate to guide my prospective executor. The specimen shown, does appear to be takedown. To me, such a mixed bag. I like the idea. The execution perhaps leaving rifle just a bit frail compared to solid frame. Had these three for decades, with perhaps $1200 investment for the several.
I’m even shocked about bids where only two mediocre photos involved.
Would like to hear some expert genre value opinions if convenient.
Thanks,
John

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10854
May 20, 2019 - 11:50 pm

That Model 1886 rifle sold for way more than it is really worth.  I suspect that two bidders got in a heated “My w…. is bigger than yours” contest, and the high bidder lost.  In the real world, that particular rifle is worth maybe $1,500 in today’s market.  The new owner is never going to recoup what he just spent.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
May 21, 2019 - 6:46 pm

As much as I have a fondness for .33’s, I agree that the rifle in question was worth far less.  I’m thinking maybe $2000.  It’s my observation that .33’s have lost value in recent times.  I believe that’s because there’s not much collector interest.  They make an excellent entry-level collector rifle, but as we’ve discussed, entry-level collectors are on the decline. 

sb –  I don’t think it’s a bidder’s mistake of typing in the wrong bid.  I say that because it sold, “onsite.”

iskra – yes, surely the .33 is the bottom of the barrel chambering for the M1886.  However, don’t try to tell that to someone who hunts with theirs.  You mention you own two extra lightweight rifles in .33.  Respectfully, there is no such variation.

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 21, 2019 - 10:20 pm

Steve,

Actually, there are a few ELWs out there in 33 WCF, but they were all special order. My good friend Larry Shenum had one for a number of years, with several special order features listed on the Cody factory letter. While Winchester cataloged the ELW in 45-70 only, I have encountered (and verified them through Cody) several of them in 45-90 WCF and 33 WCF, and at least one each in 40-82 WCF, 40-65 WCF, and 38-56 WCF. The key is that the ledger record must state “extra lightweight”.

Bert

WACA Member
May 21, 2019 - 10:26 pm

Thanks for the information Bert.  I realize one could (and some did) special order most anything. I was referring to the fact that there was no cataloged variation of the .33 in the ELW.  I do recall seeing a .45-90 ELW for sale some years ago.  I’m trying to remember if I saw a .50 Express ELW at one point.  Can’t recall for sure and who knows, it might not have been right anyway.  Personally, I would enjoy an ELW in .33 but it sounds like the chances of finding one for sale is very remote.  It’s interesting as the .33 was cataloged as available in the SRC – but try finding one of those!

WACA Member
May 21, 2019 - 11:57 pm

Nomenclature correction duly noted Bert & Steve, with thanks.
As I now understand the situation, the 45-70 ELW rifles of same configuration in all respects except chambered in .33, not ELW unless verified special order. Then the questions: 1. Is there a particular correct catalog name/term Winchester used for those apparently orphaned, lookalike .33 rifles?
2. Would it be fair to say perhaps a long-standing misnomer amounting to ‘common usage’ definition inclusive of both chamberings? Seems to me I’ve seen such ELW term of rather common usage concerning both.
Last just the comment, I don’t dislike the chambering. I just far prefer readily available ammo at ‘shooter’ prices! 🙂
Thanks for guidance!
John

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
May 22, 2019 - 12:32 am

That was a tongue in cheek comment. Frankly, I don’t believe that gun really sold for that amount.  I think some funny things go on at some of the online auctions

Kingston, WA
Admin
May 22, 2019 - 12:38 am

iskra said
Nomenclature correction duly noted Bert & Steve, with thanks.
As I now understand the situation, the 45-70 ELW rifles of same configuration in all respects except chambered in .33, not ELW unless verified special order. Then the questions: 1. Is there a particular correct catalog name/term Winchester used for those apparently orphaned, lookalike .33 rifles?
2. Would it be fair to say perhaps a long-standing misnomer amounting to ‘common usage’ definition inclusive of both chamberings? Seems to me I’ve seen such ELW term of rather common usage concerning both.
Last just the comment, I don’t dislike the chambering. I just far prefer readily available ammo at ‘shooter’ prices! 🙂
Thanks for guidance!
John  

John,

The ELW rifles all have a 22-inch round tapered barrel.  The 33 WCF rifles all have a 24-inch round tapered barrel, which is physically not the “same configuration in all respects except chamber”.  The barrel length is the readily visible (primary) difference between the two.  If you remove the butt plate, the ELW rifles also have a large bored hole in the butt stock, whereas the 33 WCF rifles do not.  The 33 WCF rifles are also found with a standard steel crescent butt plate, checkered steel butt plates, but are most common with a hard rubber butt plates, whereas the ELW rifles were equipped with the hard rubber butt plate.  Additionally, the 33 WCF rifles were common with full length magazines, and could be ordered with a 2/3 length magazine, whereas the ELW rifles were equipped with 1/2 magazines.

The catalog name for the 33 WCF rifles was “.33 Caliber Winchester Smokeless Model 1886“.

Bert

WACA Member
May 22, 2019 - 1:43 am

It’s difficult to come here and not learn something.  At least for me 😉

By the way, I used to believe the .33’s came in a lightweight and extra lightweight variations.  I also used to believe what Pirkle wrote about the difference between the lightweight and the extra lightweight (i.e. the different buttplates).  I recall at the time I read his book, I said to myself, “now I finally know.”

Then I came here…  it just doesn’t get better than here (when it is accurate information that is sought). 

Cool

WACA Member
May 23, 2019 - 4:43 am

Plus 1, steve004!
And… Thanks so much Bert for the comprehensive response to my queries. All duly noted and copied into my files related to my small ’86 bevy. My third rifle is indeed, full mag and ‘believe’ 24″ barrel. Nothing special in their genre, but appreciating them for the ’86 heritage & presumably decent shooters they are!
John

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6390
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354