Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1886 First year prdouction
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 92
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 1, 2014 - 4:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Local Gun dealer called me today and told me about a 1886 Winchester he had on consignment out of an estate. Went and looked, it is a standard sporting 26" octagon barrel, full mag, crescent butt plate, standard sights ,serial number 2738 in caliber 45-90wcf. The problems are as follows: 1. Stock is a right off, has cracks chips and to top it all off somebody tried to refinish it and does not fit steel very well. 2. Barrel rifling is not perfect, may clean up to a 6 or 7 out of 10. 3. Somebody cleaned up barrel and receiver with steel wool and all the finishing is gone, leaving a shiny grey gun. It has a few replacement screws. At first looking at this gun I was not interested. But then I think maybe it would be a good project gun. I own an original 86 in this caliber and love it .Question is, how desirable is a first year production 1886, as is, at home here in Ontario. Gun like this is a shooter $500-$1000. Do you guys think if I could it at the right price it would make a good project? I was thinking about finding some original furniture and leaving as a grey gun or maybe total refinish but that gets pricey and does it really help value. As a collector how much value added to price is first year production? Sorry no pictures

Bruce

Aim Small ,Miss Small

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 1, 2014 - 11:51 pm

Bruce,

This is just my personal opinion… even though it is an 1886 (1st year) production gun, the serial number is not early enough for it to bring any value premium. The relatively poor overall condition is the driving factor to what value it has. Only you can answer the question about its value in Canada.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1726
February 2, 2014 - 5:16 am

How early would the serial number have to be in order to bring a premium? How much of a premium would a early serial number bring?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2295
February 2, 2014 - 7:46 am

The "amount of premium" for a low serial number gun is inversely proportional to the number. Three digit numbers start to get interesting. LOW 3 digits even more so. 2 digit numbers will get most peoples attention and grease the wallet a bit. A number that is 50 or less might make most guys get a little anxious. Less than the number 10 we break out in a cold sweat. But there is no hard and fast rule. It is a personal thing for most guys I would think. I know where SN 29 on a Model 1892 sits but it is not worth the $15,000 asking price.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
February 2, 2014 - 8:58 am

I agree with Michael in the lower the number the more appealing but the condition of the rifle can totally offset the low serial number attraction. There was a 2 digit 1894 someone was carrying around at the Cody show a couple years ago that wasn’t anything special, and I wouldn’t have even paid attention to it if he hadn’t shown us the low number. Still cool, but nothing I’d spend big money on.

As for the 86 in question, sounds like a good project/shooter to get a hold of to me. Around here it would have to be in the $500 range to have me interested in the condition you describe.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

WACA Member
February 9, 2014 - 4:48 am

In my research, I am guessing a two digit serial number, and maybe a low three digit serial number would, in general, substantiate a 20% premium, maybe up to 30% if in very good to pristine condition, when it comes to the Model 1886 (or 1866, 1873, 1876, 1885, 1892, 1894, or 1895). Years ago, in the late ’90’s, I did see Winchester 1873 serial number 27 (?) – the question mark is due to trying to recall the exact number – it was two digits, but maybe not exactly 27, but, if not, nearly so – and it was on a fairly high condition firearm. I think it was an all nickel gun. In any event, the price was fairly high (but I cannot recall how high) due to condition and features, but how much of the premium was due to the serial number, if any, I do not know. If someone were to run this number at Cody, it could come up far different than I said, but this is due to trying to recall things over a 15 year time frame. But this is more or less what I noted at that time. I would pay a premium for a very early firearm, and I know that, most interestingly, the early 1886’s contained features similar to those found on the 1876 (among other things, the rear ladder sight says 1876 on it and the calibre markings are in italic).

Others out there may wish to comment. These are only my observations and subject to discussion and disagreement.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
February 9, 2014 - 6:21 am

mrcvs said
In my research, I am guessing a two digit serial number, and maybe a low three digit serial number would, in general, substantiate a 20% premium, maybe up to 30% if in very good to pristine condition, when it comes to the Model 1886 (or 1866, 1873, 1876, 1885, 1892, 1894, or 1895). Years ago, in the late ’90’s, I did see Winchester 1873 serial number 27 (?) – the question mark is due to trying to recall the exact number – it was two digits, but maybe not exactly 27, but, if not, nearly so – and it was on a fairly high condition firearm. I think it was an all nickel gun. In any event, the price was fairly high (but I cannot recall how high) due to condition and features, but how much of the premium was due to the serial number, if any, I do not know. If someone were to run this number at Cody, it could come up far different than I said, but this is due to trying to recall things over a 15 year time frame. But this is more or less what I noted at that time. I would pay a premium for a very early firearm, and I know that, most interestingly, the early 1886’s contained features similar to those found on the 1876 (among other things, the rear ladder sight says 1876 on it and the calibre markings are in italic).

Others out there may wish to comment. These are only my observations and subject to discussion and disagreement.

Winchester 1873 serial number 27 was sold by a good friend of mine up here in Canada (he is in Ontario) several years ago to Leroy Merz. If it was s/n 27 you saw, it was not a nickle plated gun. If I recall correctly from what he told me, it was a part octagon, button mag rifle, in 44WCF, but I would have to call him and verify that. It was part of a shipment of a very small number of rifles to the Government of Canada, sent up here for trials. It was almost like new. The price he sold it for was high, partly b/c of the s/n, as well as the condition though. Leroy later sold it to a fellow in Florida, it later passed on to another fellow in the South, if I recall correctly. Next time I talk to him, likely over the next few days, I can confirm.

Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 92
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 9, 2014 - 6:48 am

Thanks guys for all the facts on low serial number rifles.

Bruce

Aim Small ,Miss Small

WACA Member
February 9, 2014 - 6:56 am

mrcvs said

Winchester 1873 serial number 27 was sold by a good friend of mine up here in Canada (he is in Ontario) several years ago to Leroy Merz. If it was s/n 27 you saw, it was not a nickle plated gun. If I recall correctly from what he told me, it was a part octagon, button mag rifle, in 44WCF, but I would have to call him and verify that. It was part of a shipment of a very small number of rifles to the Government of Canada, sent up here for trials. It was almost like new. The price he sold it for was high, partly b/c of the s/n, as well as the condition though. Leroy later sold it to a fellow in Florida, it later passed on to another fellow in the South, if I recall correctly. Next time I talk to him, likely over the next few days, I can confirm.

Matt

See, my memory has failed me! It definitely was a two digit number, but obviously not 27. Maybe it was 37 or 17? I simply cannot recall now after all these years.

"road king"
WACA Guest
February 9, 2014 - 3:10 pm

I think if anyone has a copy of 2010 Standard Catalog of Firearms: The Collector’s Price and Reference Guide ,By Dan Shideler, there maybe a photo of this gun in it.
I also remember when this gun was found in the mid or early 90s. I have the information on the gun written down some where but don’t have it with me. Matt is correct that it did end up with Leroy and may even ended in Arizona at one time in C. W. Slagle’s collection.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2295