Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 Shotgun-Takedown?
Avatar
Honest Jon
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 34
Member Since:
July 7, 2026
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
October 3, 2026 - 5:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Howdy,

I’ve seen an 1885 SS Shotgun and wondering what visual clues would indicate it as a takedown receiver. From the brief look I had, it has a small, grooved tab beneath the receiver where the barrel meets the receiver. Looks like it could be a takedown release. My encounter with this gun was so brief I don’t have much more info and certainly no photos. Not even sure it would ever even be available to me. If anything develops I’ll surely let you’all know.
Jon

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14775
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
October 3, 2026 - 5:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jon,

The small serrated tab is the Take Down locking device.

Take Down

Frame-LS.jpeg

Solid Frame

Solid-Frame-receiver.JPG

Can you provide the serial number on the gun you looked at?  Thus far, I have documented just (107) high-wall 20-ga shotguns.

Bert

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Honest Jon
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 34
Member Since:
July 7, 2026
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
October 3, 2026 - 6:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well thanks once again Bert and I just realized this should have gone under Winchester Shotguns in the forum. I have a hard time relating 1885 SS to shotguns😵‍💫!

Avatar
Honest Jon
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 34
Member Since:
July 7, 2026
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
October 3, 2026 - 6:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whoops, missed the second part of your message. I can’t provide the serial at the moment but will certainly do so next time the opportunity presents itself.

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14775
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
October 3, 2026 - 6:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Honest Jon said
Well thanks once again Bert and I just realized this should have gone under Winchester Shotguns in the forum. I have a hard time relating 1885 SS to shotguns😵‍💫!
  

The specific category for these is not really a concern, as they were a “specialty” variation of the Single Shot rifles.  Many years ago I wrote an article discussing them.

Fall 2016 (winchestercollector.org)

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Honest Jon
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 34
Member Since:
July 7, 2026
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
October 3, 2026 - 6:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Super informative article Bert and I sure hope I get the chance to report the one I saw.

Jon

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: 1873man, JWA, Tedk, Henry Mero, TR, Chuck Ellison, Zebulon, SureShot, Duckman1975
Guest(s) 640
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7643
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5847
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3072
twobit: 2742
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2392
Newest Members:
1876centenialwinchesterrifleammo
PHENDRICKSON
Deererainman
TonyG
Tinman770
Joe7039
RGiertz86
Les Thanadequate
Barry59
Bear
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16304
Posts: 149208

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10987
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation