Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1885 low wall question
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Cache Valley Utah
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 9, 2022 - 2:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Actually 2 questions.

LW1a.JPGImage EnlargerLW2a.JPGImage Enlarger

At a gun show this past weekend I picked up a very nice low wall in 25-20 SS. It is a take down model with a #1 octagon barrel. I’ve never had a take down model in an 1885 before and am not sure how to separate it. I thought after sliding the lever forward it might twist apart but the dovetail sections won’t allow it to twist. Tried lightly pulling it straight out but also a no-go. Can someone please instruct me on how this comes apart?

The seller included 2 boxes of Jamison ammo with the rifle but I’ve searched for additional brass with no luck. I would also like to find reloading dies. In the meantime I imagine I can use 25-20 WCF dies to neck size and seat bullets. Yes/No?

Does anyone have any insight on where to find brass and dies?

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6133
February 9, 2022 - 3:28 am

dbro said
 I thought after sliding the lever forward it might twist apart but the dovetail sections won’t allow it to twist. Tried lightly pulling it straight out but also a no-go. Can someone please instruct me on how this comes apart?

You’re doing the right thing, but it’s merely stuck because it hasn’t been broken down in a long time.  There’s no “dovetail” to it, but interrupted threads on brl. & rcvr.  Apply Kroil to the joint & slider, wait a few days, put some muscle to it, & it will twist off.

Your Jamison brass in the best available; why do you need more? I’ve never had .25-25 SS dies, merely used .25 WCF dies as you suggested; though I think they can be customed ordered from C-H for around $200, if you don’t mind waiting many months to get them.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10589
February 9, 2022 - 3:37 am

dbro said

At a gun show this past weekend I picked up a very nice low wall in 25-20 SS. It is a take down model with a #1 octagon barrel. I’ve never had a take down model in an 1885 before and am not sure how to separate it. I thought after sliding the lever forward it might twist apart but the dovetail sections won’t allow it to twist. Tried lightly pulling it straight out but also a no-go. Can someone please instruct me on how this comes apart?

This might be a silly question, but after sliding the take down button forward, did you open the action and clear the extractor from its nested slot in the barrel breech?

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Cache Valley Utah
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7
February 9, 2022 - 3:40 am

Not silly at all and no I did not. This is the kind of information I need. Thank you.

NY
WACA Member
February 9, 2022 - 3:49 am

Bert H. said

This might be a silly question, but after sliding the take down button forward, did you open the action and clear the extractor from its nested slot in the barrel breech?

Bert  

It’s a “silly question” the moron at Shilen Brls. should have asked himself before breaking the extractor & breaking a big chip out of the brl. of a bolt action I sent there to be rebarreled. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10589
February 9, 2022 - 3:57 am

dbro said
Not silly at all and no I did not. This is the kind of information I need. Thank you.  

I suspected that was the hang-up, and you are welcomeCool

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4850
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 10, 2022 - 2:45 am

clarence said

It’s a “silly question” the moron at Shilen Brls. should have asked himself before breaking the extractor & breaking a big chip out of the brl. of a bolt action I sent there to be rebarreled.   

Indeed. I bought a Marlin 1894 in 32WCF at an auction and discovered someone had tried to take it down before opening the action. Although I was able to save the extractor it was a pretty tedious project getting it tuned right. Had to replace the ejector anyway but it was a learning experience. 

Nice looking rifle! How does the bore look?

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
February 10, 2022 - 3:16 am

TXGunNut said

Indeed. I bought a Marlin 1894 in 32WCF at an auction and discovered someone had tried to take it down before opening the action.

A mistake any neophyte might make; but should a neophyte be doing critical work for a famous barrelmaker?  At the time (40 yrs ago), I regarded it as spilt milk that it wouldn’t do any good to cry over, & “let it pass”…& have regretted it ever since.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6133
TXGunNut: 4848
Chuck: 4509
1873man: 4255
steve004: 4091
Big Larry: 2287
twobit: 2280