Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 with shield inlaid in stock
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 9, 2019 - 10:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi

I am a new member looking for information.  20190109_172616.jpgImage Enlarger20181016_134456.jpgImage EnlargerI have an 1873 with small shield inlaid in both sides of stock.  Looking for any information on this and value of firearm.  Firearm also has notches cut in bottom of stock.  It is a second model with serial number 71XXX.  Would letter from Cody Museum tell me anything?

20181016_134339.jpgImage EnlargerCIMG3053.JPGImage Enlarger20190109_171558.jpgImage Enlarger

Thank you

Greg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4282
January 9, 2019 - 10:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Greg,

A Cody letter will probably not tell you much more than what you see but would show you the warehouse dates. It would be a standard round barrel rifle in 44 caliber. The inlayed shields look like they were install to fix a cracked stock. That is a common repair I see in old Winchesters. I give the guy credit in a creative way to hide it. Normally if someone is going to put a decorative inlay in the stock, it is not put where your hand would be and they are on opposite sides from each other. The other thing I see is the barrel looks to have wrench or vise marks on it which is unfortunate which tells me the gun has been messed with big time by someone that didn’t know what he was doing. Given the issues with the gun and it has no finish, its worth $ 1200 to $1300 if its got a good bore. The only thing that could help the gun is if the barrel has been changed and was a long barrel at one time. Without complete pictures of the gun I can’t determine that or checking with Cody.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4571
January 10, 2019 - 5:26 pm

1873man said
Greg,

A Cody letter will probably not tell you much more than what you see but would show you the warehouse dates. It would be a standard round barrel rifle in 44 caliber. The inlayed shields look like they were install to fix a cracked stock. That is a common repair I see in old Winchesters. I give the guy credit in a creative way to hide it. Normally if someone is going to put a decorative inlay in the stock, it is not put where your hand would be and they are on opposite sides from each other. The other thing I see is the barrel looks to have wrench or vise marks on it which is unfortunate which tells me the gun has been messed with big time by someone that didn’t know what he was doing. Given the issues with the gun and it has no finish, its worth $ 1200 to $1300 if its got a good bore. The only thing that could help the gun is if the barrel has been changed and was a long barrel at one time. Without complete pictures of the gun I can’t determine that or checking with Cody.

Bob  

Bob could be right about why the shields are there but I can’t see a crack.  The barrel does have a lot of marks on it but so does the entire receiver. Like Bob said, more pictures could help.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
January 10, 2019 - 5:50 pm

Chuck said

Bob could be right about why the shields are there but I can’t see a crack.  The barrel does have a lot of marks on it but so does the entire receiver. Like Bob said, more pictures could help.  

The crack would be down the middle going vertical so it would be visible if you removed the stock. I have seen cracks like that, that were repaired by putting a staple across the crack under the tang.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 19
January 12, 2019 - 7:19 am

Interestingly the winter 09 magazine has a rifle on the cover with a shield inlay – don’t know if it has any baring or relevance on yours though.4121B749-D955-408E-A880-74B262ED1E66.jpegImage Enlarger

Wisconsin
WACA Member
January 12, 2019 - 4:09 pm

If the gun had a inlay like that one that is on the bottom of the stock I would say it was put there as a decoration or as a presentation but the location of it as well it doesn’t have anything written on it leads me to think its for the reason I first stated. If it was my gun I would pull the stock and see why it was put there. I would guess there is a crack in the stock.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: TXGunNut
Guest(s) 171
Currently Browsing this Page: