Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 Winchester Rifle with Slotterbek Telescopic Sight
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 29
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 4, 2021 - 10:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

What are your thoughts on this one –

1873 Winchester Rifle with Slotterbek Telescopic Sight | Witherell’s Auction House

Can’t be many like it around…

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6361
May 4, 2021 - 1:08 pm

My thought is that the auction estimate is a joke merely intended to stimulate bidding. 

Slotterbeck was a general gunsmith & barrelmaker, & also a Malcolm scope dealer, which no doubt gave him the idea of building a scope of his own. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 4, 2021 - 1:43 pm

I have no idea what the scope is worth, but the gun has had some serious “Bubba work”. Smooze finish, extra dovetail, drilled receiver, and crudely buggered screws. When and by whom was the scope mounted on this gun? T/R

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
May 4, 2021 - 1:59 pm

“Gun retains much original finish and case color”.  Am I looking at the same photos as everyone else?  If so, I see a beat up ’73 with a tube scope.  In my opinion the scope and mount are where the money is, not the rifle.

NY
WACA Member
May 4, 2021 - 2:57 pm

win4575 said
“Gun retains much original finish and case color”.  Am I looking at the same photos as everyone else?  If so, I see a beat up ’73 with a tube scope.  In my opinion the scope and mount are where the money is, not the rifle.  

You’re certainly right about the scope, which makes the gun a “One of 10,000,” but if you consider it “beat-up,” I don’t think you’ve seen as many truly hard-used & abused Winchesters as I have.  No pitting, wood is relatively clean & undamaged, not even any bailing wire holding the mag tube on…could be a WHOLE lot worse, I promise you.  True, “much original finish and case color” is nonsense.  Most puzzling to me is the brown staining, which looks like something wiped on the metal, but it’s not a typical “brown gun,” or it wouldn’t have that streaked appearance.  Under some circumstances bluing will age to a brown color, but that doesn’t explain the streaking.  

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 201
May 4, 2021 - 4:30 pm

Neat looking set-up. If I saw this at the LGS, I’d be inclined to buy it!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 29
May 5, 2021 - 1:09 am

OK – So what are your thoughts on putting this scope on a better grade ’73?

Since it wasn’t shipped from Winchester attached to this rifle is there anything wrong with transferring it to a better one???

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
May 5, 2021 - 1:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Excuse my ignorance but if the scope is offset st the rear and then centered at the front … now does it line up with the trajectory of the shot?

PS  I don’t see any original finish. Looks like old varnish in the receiver. No evidence of case hardened. Buy for the scope put it on an accurate classic Winchester and blow the youngsters black gun away ar the range.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4321
May 5, 2021 - 1:59 am

Vince said
Excuse my ignorance but if the scope is offset st the rear and then centered at the front … now does it line up with the trajectory of the shot?

The front of the scope is offset to the right of the barrel. It has a long dovetail mount.

[email protected] said

Since it wasn’t shipped from Winchester attached to this rifle is there anything wrong with transferring it to a better one???  

I don’t like the receiver mounting  where you drill the receiver. I have one that is mounted on the left side and mounts on the sideplate and a dovetail on the barrel. A lot cleaner install. if you wanted to get rid of the scope you just need a sideplate and dovetail blank.

IMG_20210504_205117317.jpgImage EnlargerIMG_20210504_205130076.jpgImage Enlarger

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

NY
WACA Member
May 5, 2021 - 2:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

[email protected] said

So ill-advised I don’t know where to begin: you’re contemplating cutting a slot in the brl & D&T the upper tang of a “better” one?

NY
WACA Member
May 5, 2021 - 2:09 am

Vince said

PS  I don’t see any original finish. Looks like old varnish in the receiver.  

You may be right, since I’ve heard of varnishing to prevent rust; it would explain the strange brown “streaking.”  If that’s what it is, it would be easy to strip.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 884
May 5, 2021 - 2:10 am

If one zooms in on the front of the scope in the first picture, it is split for what appears to be 2-3″ I would be willing to bet the optics are as crisp and clear as looking through the bottom of a Coke bottle………..

Erin

NY
WACA Member
May 5, 2021 - 2:19 am

1873man said

I don’t like the receiver mounting  where you drill the receiver. I have one that is mounted on the left side and mounts on the sideplate and a dovetail on the barrel. A lot cleaner install. if you wanted to get rid of the scope you just need a sideplate and dovetail blank.

The rear mount is an adaptation of early Malcolm mounts, as first used on muzzle-loaders–the maker was following a tradition much older than M. 1873 Winchesters.

But why would you EVER want to “get rid of the scope”?  It’s the thing than transforms an ordinary, nothing special, ’73 into something very special!

WACA Member
May 5, 2021 - 2:23 am

Maybe the auction estimate is about right. T/R

Wisconsin
WACA Member
May 5, 2021 - 2:24 am

It was my way of saying it does less damage to the basic gun

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

NY
WACA Member
May 5, 2021 - 2:31 am

Erin Grivicich said
If one zooms in on the front of the scope in the first picture, it is split for what appears to be 2-3″ I would be willing to bet the optics are as crisp and clear as looking through the bottom of a Coke bottle………..

Erin  

You may be right, but one doesn’t buy a rare antique scope for the clarity of its optics.  Before drawn steel tubing became available, scope tubes were formed of sheet iron hammered around a mandrel, soldered, & reamed; looks like this one has become UNsoldered! 

NY
WACA Member
May 5, 2021 - 2:37 am

1873man said
It was my way of saying it does less damage to the basic gun

Bob  

True, but would you rather have a “basic” gun, like tens of thousands of others, more or less, or a “one of 10,000,” which I think is a low estimate, if anything, of ’73s fitted with scopes?

Wisconsin
WACA Member
May 5, 2021 - 2:49 am

clarence said

True, but would you rather have a “basic” gun, like tens of thousands of others, more or less, or a “one of 10,000,” which I think is a low estimate, if anything, of ’73s fitted with scopes?  

It all depends on what the basic guns is. If the gun is a round barrel 1/2 mag non 44 a scope dresses up the gun but if the gun is a standard hardware store gun in 44, I wouldn’t want a scope on it. That is why I bought the one I did. Another person will have different tastes.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
May 6, 2021 - 12:53 pm

Awesome wall hanger specimen! I’d put it in my rotation but would bid accordingly. Truckloads of rustic charm!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
May 6, 2021 - 3:23 pm

TXGunNut said
Awesome wall hanger specimen! I’d put it in my rotation but would bid accordingly. Truckloads of rustic charm!

Mike  

Mike, I like the phrase, “Truckioads of rustic charm!”. T/R

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4321
steve004: 4248