Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 PARTS...PARTS...PARTS
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Dallas, Texas
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 4, 2018 - 10:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

YEP Im another ‘73 resurrectionist. Ive attempted Uberti and found out the wrong way they DONT FIT! I just received repros (carrier arm, carrier arm spring, and finger lever) from winchester but they fit like ill have to grind them a bit. Ive tried ebay for weeks but its full of sellers with parts like mine claiming they’re parts are “tight” or “in fine working order” when i can clearly see they are just as worn out as mine!!! BEWARE MY FREINDS!

I need to replace the toggles for sure since theyre loosey goosey… anybody have a great place to buy or have vintage parts made. Ive also tried Win Bob and others listed on Winchester’s courtesy post but all have yeilded very little.

im considering becoming a blacksmith and forging my own parts considering what people are asking for theirs!!! It cant be THAT hard?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
June 4, 2018 - 11:20 pm

There’s a reason good original 73 parts cost so much. A poor condition gun without much finish is quiet often worth more parted out than in one piece. If you look on Ebay you can buy the parts, add up the individual parts and you can see it comes to more than the gun is worth. Buying an old 73 to resurrect has to be fun because it’s not profitable unless it’s rare. Good luck. T/R 

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
June 4, 2018 - 11:41 pm

If your going to be resurrecting old 73’s you might as well beat them at their own game and buy some old guns for parts. When I started out collecting and found the beginner collector guns always need a part or two replaced or were missing, I parted out guns so now I have a good collection of parts including set triggers for the time I need one. Toggles were the most common part I replaced on the beginner guns. They always were cracked, broke or even missing one side. I then kept a eye out at gun shows and picked more parts.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Dallas, Texas
WACA Guest
June 5, 2018 - 3:51 am

Good advice… I found “Lee Shaver Gunsmithing” he had a nice set he was selling with all pins. They appear unused in the photo so I’m hoping my trouble is over. (I’ve had that feeling a lot lately) 

when I get them in, I’ll update with how they go. 

Tomorrow ive got lots of Cimarron and Taylor & Co. parts to send back since none of them fit. Uberti parts are all slightly larger than the originals. Dallas Gun Collectors meet this weekend. I’ll def be there lookin for vintage goodies.

thanks Y’all, Texas Stax

Dallas, Texas
WACA Guest
June 6, 2018 - 9:25 pm

So the repro parts from numrich didn’t fit either. And by didn’t fit I mean they’re too long inside the action and out. I’m assuming they are for modern 73’s. I’ve tried Uberti (Taylor’s & Co , Cimarron) and Numrich “original” parts and they DO NOT FIT VINTAGE WINCHESTERS. They can’t be grinded to fit either. They’re not close

‘So I’ve been trolling EBay for finds and I’ve found a 32.20 being parted out. Since most of it is compatible I’ve locked in its finger lever, carrier lever, with pins and springs. All are vintage with very little wear in the photos. Seller says they weren’t modded or altered. When I get them in I’ll post the results

Dallas, Texas
WACA Guest
June 24, 2018 - 5:14 am

eBay saved me. Found original finger lever (same dark brown patina as mine) only a few thousand off rifle serial. Found original carrier lever, both lever springs, spring screws added. All vintage parts. Very little wear! I paid up a bit for some.

installed all the new “used” parts. The breech locks with a snap! The action is crisp and smooth. Even smoother than my Henry Big Boy! It ejects the spent casing like a champ!!! I love the clean action. She’s ready for the range! 

I may have the bore relined in months to come but for now I’m going to see what effect the pitting has on trajectory. There is rifling the full length of the barrel but it’s faint. The closer you get to muzzle the darker. Some shine toward the breech end.

my grouping expectations are pretty low at this point but I’m going to give her a try before I make a decision about relining it.

ive cleaned the bore repeatedly. (Hardcore cleaning) still very pitted and very little shine.

I’ll post with the grouping results soon as I can

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
June 26, 2018 - 10:21 pm

Good job! I think/hope you may be pleasantly surprised when you get this rifle to the range. If you find a load it likes I wouldn’t be surprised to hear you experienced 2-3″ groups at 50 yards, maybe better. Good luck!

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 121
December 10, 2019 - 5:18 am

I bought an early 2nd model 1873 recently.  It is a 44-40 but the elevator in it is a nice patinaed 38 cal., which has been with the gun a long, long time, so I may just leave it with the gun though if I can find a patinaed 44-40 elevator for sale I will buy it.  I am looking for an original dust cover for this carbine also.  The cover on it is correct though silvered out with no patina.  There is not much play in it and functions well.  A thought just came to me why not have it aged and patinaed?  There is a gunsmith at Drury’s, here in San Antonio, Texas, that has done this for me before and did a good job.  Is it pretty difficult to find an original patinaed dust cover?  I am also looking for a set of original patinaed set of screws since there is several new screws in the gun.  Are they hard to find?  I have done a quick search on the internet and have not had much luck finding what I am after.  I am the second owner of this 73′.  I bought it from a man who’s great-grandfather bought it in 1881 and it lived on their ranch here in Texas until I bought it from him, and he is 81 years old himself.  He told me that the carbine is as it was when bought in 1881 minus the correct dust cover, elevator and a few screws that have been replaced.  He told me that his great-grandfather used this carbine to help the Texas Rangers finish clearing out the Indians here around San Antonio and the vicinity.  It has a rifle buttstock with a trapdoor and the original cleaning rods still in it along with the original saddle ring.  It is somewhat beat up, though the bore is very decent for the age and life this carbine has had.  The furniture meets the tangs and receiver perfectly though the wood is well worn.  I love this old gun and was glad to have been able to buy it from him….for he was worried someone would part it out, even though it functions great, and I assured him that will not happen to the gun as long as I own it.  If anyone could point me in the right direction for a set of screws, a dust cover and a 44-40 elevator I would appreciate it.  Thank you.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
December 10, 2019 - 2:21 pm

I would suggest you post good pictures, the parts your looking for have to match your gun’s color and condition. Check with Cody as to it’s original configuration before changing anything. T/R 

San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
December 11, 2019 - 4:13 am

Yes’sir good advice.  Yes’sir I understand that the new parts need to match to look correct.  The only problem with getting the correct configuration is that the first two numbers of the serial I cannot read.  The last 3 are readable.  It is definitely a 5 digit number.  It looks like damage from blood too me but I do not know if blood will wipe out serial numbers.  Of course I don’t think the depth of the numbers were that deep during the 1881 era.  Seems like I read in Madis that they made the numbers deeper somewhere around the 600,000 era.  I know not being able to read the serial number hurts the value but the guns value is in its story, history and patina.  I am going to meet with the man that sold it to me and get the full history of the gun.  Thanks for the info.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 11, 2019 - 4:17 am

Take a good close up of the serial number and post it.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
December 11, 2019 - 4:51 am

I took pictures now I need to figure out how to post them.  I’ll read how and get them posted soon.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 11, 2019 - 4:59 am

You can email them to me if you wan t or click on the box below where you type your reply that says “Upload Attachments”then another box opens and you can drag the photos into the box or  click “Add files” and pick them from a folder or where you have them stored. Once they are in the box click “Upload”

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
December 11, 2019 - 5:40 am

Here is a picture of my 73’s serial number. IMG_1802.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 11, 2019 - 5:52 am

Yes that is rusted a too much to see anything else. I don’t think even acid would lift the numbers.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

San Antonio, TX
WACA Guest
December 12, 2019 - 3:13 am

No sir I don’t think so either.  It is still a beautifully patinaed second model.  Thank you for looking at the pics.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 12, 2019 - 3:24 am

Post pictures of the receiver to show what level of condition of dust cover you need. Also without the full serial number you don’t know if you need a regular third model dust cover or a thumb print.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
December 12, 2019 - 5:38 pm

1873man said
Post pictures of the receiver to show what level of condition of dust cover you need. Also without the full serial number you don’t know if you need a regular third model dust cover or a thumb print.

Bob  

Bob when did they change from this style of font?  Did 3rd Models ever have this style?  I have only owned one third model and can’t remember the style of font?

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 13, 2019 - 12:49 am

Near as I have seen it changed between 85,000 and 97,000 but the dust cover changed from the thumb print to the later one before that.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Tom D, [email protected], 86Win, Green River Gus
Guest(s) 188
Currently Browsing this Page: