Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 29, 2017 - 5:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Fondled a pretty rough (30%) third model 1873 Musket in 44WCF yesterday. It had obviously spent a lot of time across a saddle as the fore end wood was pretty rough and worn next to the barrel. Almost no finish remained and the metal surfaces were badly pitted in spots. Butt stock was badly worn but intact. Funny thing is the bore was lightly pitted but pretty decent. I could follow the edges of each land with only minor gaps near the chamber. Mechanically it seemed quite good. Sights appeared to be intact and correct but rear sight has suffered a bit from rough handling. Butt plate shows signs of possible parade or other military use but no cartouches or other markings evident. Overall the gun appears to be correct and complete. No serial number or pics at this time. DOM 1879 IIRC.

My question is are muskets generally found in this condition or is this a below-average specimen? Price is too high @  $1800 but they may take less as time goes by and I don’t want to buy a gun in this condition. I must admit, it would be a fun shooter and an interesting wallhanger.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 104
December 29, 2017 - 6:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

One online seller has a few Muskets in much nicer condition for about 3 times the price. It seems that many 73 muskets have survived in very good condition. I have one that is better then the one you describe but still lacks any finish and I recently traded about 22 hundred dollars worth of stuff for it. It did have the correct bayonet with it. That adds about 250 to the price.

THIS ALL STARTED WITH JUST ONE GUN!

IMG_4414-Copy.JPG

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
December 29, 2017 - 6:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Definitely below average condition. Guns in that condition are generally what I look for, because I like to restoration projects. 1800 sounds high. What does Redbook say values are? I haven’t bought a copy yet. Waiting to see how much $$$$ the model 69 book will be.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
December 29, 2017 - 6:55 pm

Red Book price for a 30% specimen is about $1200 but I’d go a bit higher in consideration of the good mechanical and bore condition along with the overall original condition of the musket. Moot point because I’m pretty sure they have more than that in it. I don’t have much feeling for prices so the Red Book is a necessary crutch for me, I even keep an extra copy in my truck for quick reference. Has paid for itself many times over. May need another copy for my car as my work travels take me close to a couple of very interesting gun shops.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
December 29, 2017 - 7:39 pm

Its definitely at the lower end of the condition range and muskets are the hardest model to sell and there are plenty of the near mint ones out there for the collectors so the $1200 is what its worth.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 492
December 29, 2017 - 8:31 pm

I have ’73 musket in a little better condition than the one you describe.  It too, has a very good bore.  It’s one of my favorite rifles to shoot and I throw it in when I take friends and family out shooting.  It’s always a big hit with those who haven’t shot vintage guns.

I have an extra bayonet that I don’t have a need for.  If you end up with it, I can set you up with a bayonet on the cheap.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
December 30, 2017 - 1:24 am

Recently traded my near to mint 1903 vintage Musket, bayonet and cleaning rod for a super nice 1916 vintage M1894  oct. rifle in 38-55 with a minty bore and most all of its bluing left. Redbook says I made a great deal on this trade. I paid $4,000 for the musket several years ago.  Big Larry

WACA Member
December 30, 2017 - 1:44 am

That trade illustrates why Bert et al have advised me to stick with the higher grade guns, Big Larry. I still find the well-worn specimens interesting but I’m learning to enjoy them as eye candy and learning opportunities, not prospective purchases.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Shoalhaven, NSW.
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 17
December 30, 2017 - 12:20 pm

Slightly off topic but I have a third model ’73 musket with a bayonet lug on the front band. I was told these are a quite scarce variation. Question: how hard would it be to find a bayonet to fit? I think they may be called sabre bayonets. 

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 30, 2017 - 3:52 pm

Yes, that is the Saber bayonet lug which is on the right side of the band and the musket will probably letter with it. The saber was carried in a leather frog on the your  belt. The saber also has a leather sheath.  They have been sold on Ebay for years and at their peek they were getting $1000 for them but now they are around $600. You have to look very closely at them since the same style bayonet was used on many different models of guns so you can buy one that does not fit your gun. They made them for the 76 musket and the only difference is the diameter of the ring is bigger but it will slide on the 73. I have a musket and a carbine with one on. I think I have an extra saber.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Wisconsin
WACA Member
December 31, 2017 - 5:48 am