Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1873 Carrier Tilt
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 27, 2018 - 9:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

On my Great-grandfather’s 1873 .38 WCF rifle, DOM 1885, the carrier is slanting downward at its front.  Cartridges hit their noses on the bottom of the chamber mouth.  When the rifle’s barrel is tilted slightly downward, the cartridges chamber without a problem.

The carrier lever spring seems to be worn thin where it contacts the carrier lever.  Could this spring be causing the sag?  If not, what causes the carrier to slant like this?

We shoot this rifle often, and hunt with it.

I had the rifle apart, cleaning it.  Did I not get the parts back in correctly, tightly?

This slant is odd.  I’ve had the rifle apart many times over the past 50 years, and it worked well.

Montana
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 647
September 27, 2018 - 10:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This is a common problem with the 1873 and 1876 model Winchesters.  Most often, this is caused by a carrier arm that has a slight downward bend.  It is an easy fix for those who are familiar with the mechanics of each of these models.  If you’re not, I would suggest finding someone local who can help you.  The fix is to put a very slight upward bend in the arm, at the end that has the knob on it, not the end that the screw runs through.  Bend it from the middle of the arm, not the end. This will lift the carrier at the front end.  I usually chuck it in a gunsmith vice with smooth jaws and hit it lightly with a brass hammer.  You may have fit it and hit it a few times to get it where you want.  Be gentle and it should work fine.  If the spring has excessive wear, you may also want to replace it.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4322
September 28, 2018 - 12:26 am

Tilt of the carrier is caused by wear of the front and back surfaces because its a soft metal . I have seen well worn guns where someone has soldiered a shim to the carrier to tighten it up or just built it up with soldier.  The carrier arm only controls the height of the carrier at the top or bottom positions not the tilt of it. If you raise the carrier up all the way and hold it level and if that make it feed correctly then the carrier arm is good.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
September 28, 2018 - 12:44 am

Thank you, Fellows.

I plan to hunt deer with it this season, so having it function properly will bring peace of mind to the hunt.

Carrying this rifle in the forest has been a life-time pleasure.  It seems to add a touch more sweetness to my wanderings with the Spirit of the Woods.

WACA Guest
September 28, 2018 - 1:42 am

It is fixed.

More “Thanks” to you.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
September 30, 2018 - 12:49 pm

Further to what 1873 man said re. wear: Instead of soldering a shim, I epoxied a small square of thin bicycle tube to the end of the carrier arm. It also prevents further wear.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected], freebird1968
Guest(s) 148
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250