Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1866 Winchester Silver & Engraved
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 272
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 2, 2015 - 6:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

At the the Reno show last week a guy had on display a 90%+ 1866 rifle with a silver receiver, buttplate, and forend cap. Not plated, full solid silver (70% silver 30% copper).  Nimshke engraved with rosewood stocks. Perfect sharp engraving. Mint bore. Owner said it appeared unfired. No factory letter is available. He is going to be selling the gun.  What do you think a gun like this would be worth? 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1727
December 2, 2015 - 9:45 am

It is difficult to assess without photographs, but for a ‘ballpark’ figure, you might see what similar items brought at auction recently.  Check out past auction results at James Julia and Rock Island Auction for a start.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 352
December 2, 2015 - 1:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I heard about that 66 last month, the problem is that there is no other sales to compare it to. To reiterate,  It’s not silver plated, the frame, fe cap and buttplate are made out of silver.  I believe one out of 3 or 5 special ordered by the President of a South American country (Bolivia?); not sure one has ever been up for sale before.

Although the CFM has identified one or more 66s made out of silver as part of this special order, from what I understand, that particular 66, so far providence has not been established.

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
December 2, 2015 - 7:21 pm

FYI. …
books.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 184
December 2, 2015 - 11:37 pm

I would venture to guess possibly $200-300,000 assuming it has iron clad provenance and is original, not repaired/restored. The King of Spain 66 sold recently after auction with an asking price pf $375,000 and it was supposedly the finest 66 ever made.  This gun could certainly rival it if correct. I would like to hear any other info about the gun that anyone has. Thanks,

Casey

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
December 3, 2015 - 5:22 pm

The president of Bolivia in 1868 was Mariano Melgarejo.  Initials M.

The following is from a listing on Guns International:

“The work is a copy of a famous L.D. Nimschke 1866 that was ordered by the president of Peru as a gift to the president of Bolivia. The original was a solid silver action, with the silver coming from the Peruvian silver mines. This work appears on cover and inside of Winchester Engraving. The original gun last sold for in excess of $250,000!”

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
September 14, 2016 - 7:31 pm

Mike Hunter said
I heard about that 66 last month, the problem is that there is no other sales to compare it to. To reiterate,  It’s not silver plated, the frame, fe cap and buttplate are made out of silver.  I believe one out of 3 or 5 special ordered by the President of a South American country (Bolivia?); not sure one has ever been up for sale before.

Although the CFM has identified one or more 66s made out of silver as part of this special order, from what I understand, that particular 66, so far providence has not been established.  

Hi Mike it has been established now,You and I talked awhile back about  an 86 ,Call me sometime Steve 775-287-1781

WACA Guest
September 14, 2016 - 7:45 pm

nanzca said
I would venture to guess possibly $200-300,000 assuming it has iron clad provenance and is original, not repaired/restored. The King of Spain 66 sold recently after auction with an asking price pf $375,000 and it was supposedly the finest 66 ever made.  This gun could certainly rival it if correct. I would like to hear any other info about the gun that anyone has. Thanks,

Casey  

nanzca said

Hi Casey I have info on the Silver 66,Steve 775-287-1781

Mike Hunter said

Hi Mike it has been established now,You and I talked awhile back about  an 86 ,Call me sometime Steve 775-287-1781

WACA Guest
September 14, 2016 - 7:55 pm

Steve Winters said

Wincacher said
The president of Bolivia in 1868 was Mariano Melgarejo.  Initials M.

The following is from a listing on Guns International:

“The work is a copy of a famous L.D. Nimschke 1866 that was ordered by the president of Peru as a gift to the president of Bolivia. The original was a solid silver action, with the silver coming from the Peruvian silver mines. This work appears on cover and inside of Winchester Engraving. The original gun last sold for in excess of $250,000!”  

Not A CopyWink

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
September 15, 2016 - 1:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Too bad my wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary over a decade ago.  Would be a perfect gift (and a sure-fire-around-the-corner method of bringing that rifle into the house.)  Oh, and her first initial is “M” so I have that going for me too.  Only trouble is, she doesn’t–has never understood–the answers to her simple question, “Why do you need more guns?!”  Before we married I thought she knew the answer; the first real present I bought her was a new .22 rifle.  Go figure!

(Lately, some of my responses have been a bit off the beam.  After this one, I’ll try to curb the clown.)

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 152
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6380
TXGunNut: 5050
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4260