Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1892 for the survey
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1914
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
March 8, 2018 - 3:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Michael (twobit),

I went to my local gun store today and came across a hard used 1892 serial number 588540.  Sorry, but I had no means of taking photos.  It was a completely standard rifle in 25-20 WCF.  Had a standard 24″ octagon barrel, full magazine, crescent butt, standard sights.  Just wanted to help out the survey.

Don

Los Angeles
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 379
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 25, 2018 - 6:08 pm

Hey Michael. 

I’m at a gun show in Orange County CA, figured I’d pick up some beef jerky and came across a 1892 SRC, no front barrel band in 32 WCF. SN 660610. 

Steve

WACA Member. CFM Member. NRA Lifer.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
March 25, 2018 - 10:20 pm

I can’t believe that you found anything at a Crossroads of the West show. 

Los Angeles
WACA Member
March 25, 2018 - 11:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I know, right?

There were a few nice 52’s. A sporter and a 52B Target with a Lyman 12x and a 74 that was cheap and I thought I might get it just for continuity sake, but I didn’t go back to take a closer look. 

I also saw a perfect looking flatside 1895. Perfect as in completely refinished. Whoever did it did a nice job but it wasn’t for me. 

If I wasn’t mulling over a M71 I plan to revisit soon at my LGS I probably would have considered the 92. Not pristine by any means but the price felt negotiable. At least by CA terms. 

I did pick up a few boxes of CCI 22 short as I never see them locally and mail order is banned here. 

Steve

WACA Member
March 26, 2018 - 1:06 am

supergimp said
I know, right?

There were a few nice 52’s. A sporter and a 52B Target with a Lyman 12x and a 74 that was cheap and I thought I might get it just for continuity sake, but I didn’t go back to take a closer look. 

I also saw a perfect looking flatside 1895. Perfect as in completely refinished. Whoever did it did a nice job but it wasn’t for me. 

If I wasn’t mulling over a M71 I plan to revisit soon at my LGS I probably would have considered the 92. Not pristine by any means but the price felt negotiable. At least by CA terms. 

I did pick up a few boxes of CCI 22 short as I never see them locally and mail order is banned here. 

Steve  

Mail order is not banned in Ca.  You have to have it sent to a FFL.

Los Angeles
WACA Member
March 26, 2018 - 2:05 am

cwachter said

Mail order is not banned in Ca.  You have to have it sent to a FFL.  

Yea I was being a bit dramatic in my use of words, but given that the FFLs in my area charge a substantial fee to receive, making anything but a large bulk order prohibitive. 

I have my 03FFL and believe I should be able to receive, except that I have an LA address and many vendors won’t touch it. Even before the new regs I would have a buddy in the incorporated Culver City (about 2 miles away and surrounded by LA but an incorporated city) receive stuff. But my FFL is my home address. 

Its only a matter of time anyway before CA figures out how to ban oxygen. 

Steve

WACA Member
March 26, 2018 - 5:13 pm

It’s unfortunate that the FFL you want to use is taking advantage of you.  You need a FFL that actually has a shop, not working out of a residence.  Call around and get prices.  I do a lot of business at a certain shop so they don’t charge me.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
March 27, 2018 - 1:26 pm

deerhunter said
Michael (twobit),

I went to my local gun store today and came across a hard used 1892 serial number 588540.  Sorry, but I had no means of taking photos.  It was a completely standard rifle in 25-20 WCF.  Had a standard 24″ octagon barrel, full magazine, crescent butt, standard sights.  Just wanted to help out the survey.

Don  

supergimp said
Hey Michael. 

I’m at a gun show in Orange County CA, figured I’d pick up some beef jerky and came across a 1892 SRC, no front barrel band in 32 WCF. SN 660610. 

Steve  

Thanks so much for the help guys.  Any information is better than no information is my motto!  Both are new entries into my data.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323