Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
WW I Model 1897 Trench/Riot Gun - Kinda/Sorta
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 19, 2020 - 4:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said

Chuck,

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Model 1897 Riot/Trench Guns were ever parkerized, even when returned to the arsenal for repair.

Bert  

Here is what Bruce said about the arsenal question when I asked him about being stamped when returned for repair.

“I doubt that was the case. I don’t recall ever seeing a martially marked WW1 era M1897 trench gun that showed signs of rebuild. Interestingly, even WW2 M97 trench guns that were subsequently rebuilt were rarely, if ever, Parkerized. Almost all M12 rebuilt trench guns were Parkerized. Go figure.”

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7
August 21, 2020 - 6:38 pm

Tom D said
I believe Andrew has a trench gun receiver that has had the barrel replaced as well as the buttstock.  The serial number puts the received right in the trench gun serial number range.  Also, the hand stamped “US” and Ordnance bomb marks are characteristic of the trench guns.  Most of the riot guns were in an earlier serial number range and don’t have any US markings on them. 

I don’t believe the hand stamped marks were applied during arsenal repair because I have seen too many WWI trench guns with those marks that are in excellent condition.   One was even an unissued trench gun in 99% condition.

My data shows that most of the WWI hand stamped “US” and Ordnance bomb marked trench guns are in the 670,xxx serial number range.  Then few show up with the hand stamped markings until the serial number range of Andrew’s shotgun where there are several marked that way.  

Wow, guys – many thanks for all the responses! ?

I agree with Tom D that my gun started out as a trench gun, but has been ‘converted’ with a different barrel and stock.

Here are some of my notes from reading both the 1992 and 2007 editions of Canfield:

On the WW I marked vs unmarked trench guns: “The guns that were actually issued before the end of the war would likely have been inspected and “passed” by ordinance inspectors prior to acceptance into service, hence the added markings. The guns that remained in packing crates after the war were not issued, thus there was no need to stamp them with martial markings.” (Canfield, pg 52, 2007 edition).  

“Third, a cache of 74 WW I production Model 1897 trench guns that came to light in 2004 sheds a bit more light on the subject. The Richmond (Virginia) Police Department received these trench guns circa 1924 from the Virginia National Guard (via the U.S. Army). The Richmond PD retained the guns for the next 80+ years in essentially the same configuration in which they had left the factory. While these guns were unquestionably made under military contract, they were never actually issued to Army units during WW I, hence the lack of martial markings.” (Canfield, pg 53, 2007 edition).

On the trench gun markings vs riot gun markings: “Most of the confirmed original WW I riot guns were stamped with a small ‘U.S.’ on the left side of the receiver and a very small ‘flaming bomb’ on the barrel and also by the serial number on the receiver. Unlike the the martial markings found on some WW I-vintage M1897 trench guns, the riot guns marked appear to have been factory stamped prior to final heat treating of the metal.” (Canfield, pg 55, 2007 edition).   Canfield’s pictures of riot gun marking on page 46 of the 1992 edition and page 55 of the 2007 edition show that those are quite different from trench gun markings.

By the way, the 2007 edition has twelve pages of “Collector Notes, World War I  Combat Shotguns” (pages 49-60), quite a bit more than the 1992 edition.

Anyway, I am still having great fun with this research.  I have sent a note to the Phoenix Police Museum to see if they have any records on my gun.  Not expecting much, but who knows. . .

WACA Member
August 21, 2020 - 6:42 pm

Bert H. said

The barrel is marked correctly for a 1918 production Model.  If it is newer than the receiver, it is not by much.

Bert  

Thanks, Bert!

How does one date a barrel with no serial number?  Are the patent dates a clue?

WACA Member
August 21, 2020 - 6:59 pm

What do people think is the story of the stock?  Clearly not WW I.  Looks like WW II stock, complete with sling swivel (with “factory quality” inletting).  But none of the proper WW II markings/cartouches.  I saw something in the 1992 edition about post-war refinishing removing those markings, but were they so shallow that a refinishing would have completely removed all trace (as is the case with my stock).   Hmmm!

WACA Member
August 21, 2020 - 7:11 pm

TXGunNut said
Andrew-

I have what the Brits call a “bitsa” (LOVE that term!) 1897TD that I was pretty sure was built as a riot gun. … If you have moderate gun repair skills and passable IT skills there are a few good YouTube videos dealing with disassembly and repair of the 1897TD. The 1897 is moderately complex and some of the videos are pretty much useless but after several hours of videos and fitting attempts I had mine running like it should.

Mike  

Mike, thanks!  I do have a Mechanical Engineering degree and have built my own PC’s since the 90’s.  Gunsmithing is not one of my skills (dealing with 1973 Mini Coopers is though. . .).  If I can’t find a local gunsmith with 1897 expertise, I and a collector friend (and former Marine rifleman) might go down the route you suggest.  Now, off to Youtube to bypass SU Carburetor overhaul videos for 1897 videos – more fun!

WACA Member
August 29, 2020 - 9:39 pm

Bert, what is the general serial number range for the WW I trench guns?  There was one the Wards auction lot # 4273 684921 the other day.  The only thing I wasn’t sure about in the pictures was the length of the barrel in relation to the bayonet mount.  It seemed to look more like what a WW II would look like?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 30, 2020 - 12:11 am

Chuck,

Serial number 684921 is in the correct range.  I have surveyed them in the 654000 – 705800, though they are sparse until 668900.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
August 30, 2020 - 4:35 pm

Thanks Bert.  It sold for $2500.

WACA Member
August 30, 2020 - 5:36 pm

My ‘former Marine’ friend and I dismantled, cleaned, and oiled my gun yesterday.  Well, he did the work, I “supervised”.  Not a 100 percent disassembly, but pretty much all of the bolt assembly and carrier assembly.  No real problems found.  We may take it to the range this next week and put a few light loads through it.

The Youtube animations of the 1897 action now make a lot more sense!

Did not remove the barrel, but with the magazine tube out of the way, I found some markings on the bottom of the barrel.  Nothing that looked like a serial number or military markings.  There is an “IRI” (second “I” pretty faint) overlaid/underlaid with a “WP” mark in an oval.  Unlike the “WP” marks elsewhere these letters are in a horizontal versus vertical orientation.  There are also an “X”, a (maybe) “Q”, and a triangle stamped on the underside.  If any of these mean anything, I would appreciate.

Two pictures of the barrel underside have been added to the album noted in the first post.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 30, 2020 - 5:59 pm

Andrew,

The markings you found on the bottom of the barrel are inspection stamps.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
August 30, 2020 - 9:50 pm

Andrew-

I’m glad the disassembly and cleaning went well. Good to have some experienced “help”. Hopefully the extractors and ejector were intact. If not they’re readily available. Good luck on the range trip, I’m toying with shooting a round of skeet with mine someday just for giggles.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6394
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354