Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1895 Winchester: Need Help ID'ing?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 13, 2022 - 11:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi, brand new to the forum here so apologies for any issues with this post

I recently inherited a Winchester 1895 what i believe is to be a Short rifle in 30-40 but have almost no clue as to its history or what it is for sure. 

It is US marked and the story goes it came from a purchase out of a oklahoma reservation in the 1930’s as the previous owner told my relative. No idea as to any of that and doesn’t seem to add up to me. It is in very rough shape but i did manage to wipe it down with oil and get the action to cycle which it does although the pins are a bit undersized now and walk out unless i push them in, Working on the bore at the moment but it does appear to have rifiling still.

any help would be appreciated. Couldn’t find much information on this guy so figured here was the place to post

included is link to pictures: 

https://ibb.co/album/HnwGVf

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
October 14, 2022 - 1:35 am

Welcome! Looks like a carbine or modified musket that has spent several decades in a barn or out in the elements, maybe even underground. Not much left but interesting.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6391
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
October 14, 2022 - 3:27 am

bofa deez said

It is US marked and the story goes it came from a purchase out of a oklahoma reservation in the 1930’s as the previous owner told my relative. 

US gov’t supplied arms to the Indian Police, but no idea if Model ’95s were issued for that purpose.  Good luck with your attempt to salvage it!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 595
October 14, 2022 - 2:20 pm

All, going to go out on a limb and make some comments.  Hope more knowledgeable folks weigh in, though.  It looks to be a remnant US Musket that has been cut down and modified.  If you may recall, Bannerman bought most of the Army’s unwanted 1895 muskets, sent many to Cuba, etc, and cut others down to be carbines.  I rather think that may be the case here.  I do see some modifications that go beyond that, however, so it may have been a musket that was cut down and modified by who knows whom.  It might help to know the serial number, if it is legible, and see if it is in the known serial range of the US muskets the Army acquired to test, say in the Philippines.  Its possible origins from the reservation likely is coincidental.  Tim

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1915
October 14, 2022 - 2:24 pm

From its appearance, maybe it was pulled from the bottom of Havana Harbor along with the USS Maine!

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
October 14, 2022 - 4:43 pm

deerhunter said
From its appearance, maybe it was pulled from the bottom of Havana Harbor along with the USS Maine!

That’s what you call good, honest wear. We don’t have to debate whether this is a Turnbull restoration or not!

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, clarence, Blue Ridge Parson, Pwog
Guest(s) 189
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6390
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4262