Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Reloading the .351 Winchester Self Loading cartridge.
Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2396
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
September 17, 2026 - 12:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Having gotten my Model 07 to successfully feed, fire and eject (!) fresh commercial  ammunition made from modified .357 Maximum brass, I’m ready to reload fired cases. 

Having done some research, the balance of opinion favors very fast rifle or magnum pistol powders,  with some specific starting recommendations of 16 grains of 4227, 2400, or 296/110. 

Because I have good quantities of Olin 296 on hand and have had good experiences with it, all the way from 22 Hornet to 357, 41, and 44 magnum,  I propose to make up a ladder from 16 to 18 grains of 296, using Winchester WST large primers, Graf 180 grain brass plated RN bullets, in what are likely modified Remington brand 357 Max brass, now once fired. 

Ten of the Graf bullets have been seated to factory OAL and roll crimped in the cannnelure of once fired, dead/inert primered, FL resized, vintage Western brass. Loaded into a 5-round magazine, these were fed and ejected repeatedly using the operating rod sleeve, to test whether these bullets and the 07 feed ramp can get along. They can. 

When Winchester-Western discontinued their SuperX commercial ammunition  [W351SL2], the 180 grain softpoint bullet was advertised to have a muzzle velocity of 1870 foot seconds from the 20″ barrel, producing 1400 foot pounds of muzzle energy. Not a pipsqueak cartridge. I’ll chronograph my loads but all I’m looking for is from 1600 to 1700 foot seconds.20260515_152919.jpg20260515_1531582.jpg20260518_1952052.jpg

I’d welcome comment, particularly from those with reloading experience in the caliber. 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7655
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
September 17, 2026 - 1:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Zeb-

I believe your starting loads may provide clues to what it takes to cycle the 07 action. I like 296 in some RBH-only 45 Colt loads. Should prove interesting!

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2396
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
September 17, 2026 - 2:27 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like Johnson’s Model 63, the 07 is interesting (to me) because it is beautifully made and because it is built to work and last. Some of Winchester’s finest craftsmanship went into these self loaders. And a lot of creativity to snake around all the Browning patents. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7655
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
September 17, 2026 - 10:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zebulon said
Like Johnson’s Model 63, the 07 is interesting (to me) because it is beautifully made and because it is built to work and last. Some of Winchester’s finest craftsmanship went into these self loaders. And a lot of creativity to snake around all the Browning patents. 
  

Actually it goes back to Johnson’s 1903 which is the predecessor to your 07. The 1903 was a very simple design that evolved to the Model 63 about 30 years later to take advantage of the improvements to 22LR ammo. As a blowback design it has problems but was a very good design for its time, IMHO.

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
MidwestCrisis
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 305
Member Since:
January 8, 2025
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
September 18, 2026 - 1:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

TXGunNut said

Zebulon said
Like Johnson’s Model 63, the 07 is interesting (to me) because it is beautifully made and because it is built to work and last. Some of Winchester’s finest craftsmanship went into these self loaders. And a lot of creativity to snake around all the Browning patents. 
  

Actually it goes back to Johnson’s 1903 which is the predecessor to your 07. The 1903 was a very simple design that evolved to the Model 63 about 30 years later to take advantage of the improvements to 22LR ammo. As a blowback design it has problems but was a very good design for its time, IMHO.
 
Mike
  

After working on mine , I noticed things about it that every modern semi auto has.  It seems to be the grandfather and the Johnson the great grandfather.  It’s likely under appreciated due to the chambering.  It is definitely one of my favorites so far.  Easy tie with the 92 in 25-20.  They are just fun to shoot.  Ammo is hard to come by.  But 1 full magazine, they make excellent “truck guns”.  

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7655
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
September 18, 2026 - 2:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

MidwestCrisis said

TXGunNut said

Zebulon said
Like Johnson’s Model 63, the 07 is interesting (to me) because it is beautifully made and because it is built to work and last. Some of Winchester’s finest craftsmanship went into these self loaders. And a lot of creativity to snake around all the Browning patents. 
  

Actually it goes back to Johnson’s 1903 which is the predecessor to your 07. The 1903 was a very simple design that evolved to the Model 63 about 30 years later to take advantage of the improvements to 22LR ammo. As a blowback design it has problems but was a very good design for its time, IMHO.
 
Mike
  

After working on mine , I noticed things about it that every modern semi auto has.  It seems to be the grandfather and the Johnson the great grandfather.  It’s likely under appreciated due to the chambering.  It is definitely one of my favorites so far.  Easy tie with the 92 in 25-20.  They are just fun to shoot.  Ammo is hard to come by.  But 1 full magazine, they make excellent “truck guns”.  
  

I very much enjoyed researching and writing “T. C. Johnson and the Model 1903 Winchester” for the Winter 2024 Collector. If you haven’t read it I think you may enjoy doing so. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I recently finished a “prequel” for a future issue. 

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
Jeff50021
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4
Member Since:
July 28, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
September 20, 2026 - 2:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great to see another interested in the 1907 .351. Having done some research on the caliber last fall. Ive tried historical powder suggestions and utilized the bullet from Graf 180 gr bullet. Brass is a whole other issue. I tried several suggestions but without a lathe, I couldn’t use some of them. One involved the 357 maximum. As I recall it needed the base turned to reduce its size. Did a little more exploring and found the 351 is almost identical to the 223 base not the 556 because its a little thicker and harder to work the brass. Here goes what I did and it works perfectly for me. 

Using a small chop saw cut the 223 brass at the start or the bottle neck. 1.38 length, lube and run it thru the sizing die. It will not size all the way down but you can prime it, get powder in and get the bullet seated. Firing it will “fire form” the brass and be able to be reused. Ive reloaded some of these brass 7 plus times. I found new 223 brass works best. 

Powder I started using 4 powders. The best results came from IMR 4227 and 2400 a distant second. Unique and Reloader did not perform well enough to cycle the action. 

IMR 4227 19 grains 1848 fps. Excellent accuracy and feeding/ejecting. 1.90 overall lenght.

These are my worked up loads and should be laddered. I hope some of this you’ll find helpful. 

I have 2 1907 .351 made in the early 50s and a 1910 first year made .401 that I found challenging to find brass as well but over came challenges and it shoots great. 

                            IOWA GUY

WACA Member  GOA Member   NRA Member. Colt Collector Association. 

Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2396
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8
September 20, 2026 - 1:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, Jeff.  Particularly for the load information. I had thought the fast pistol powders might not push long enough to overcome the big “bolt extension” .  

I do have a concern about using rimless cases because there’s no way to control headspace. The only thing holding the case head within reach of the 07 firing pin and keeping it from sliding down into the chamber leade,  is the grip of the extractor and, possibly, bullet contour. The chamber is cut without a bullet seat, so the cartridge has no way to headspace on the case mouth like the common autopistol rounds do. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
Jeff50021
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4
Member Since:
July 28, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9
September 20, 2026 - 9:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had concern about the whole thing not working but tried a few and expanded on them to get to my final results. With the full power loads I use the empty shells from both throw to 2-3 oclock. About 5 feet that way. Ive reused the same cases multiple times. Mostly to see how they will continue to work or not. Havent had any jam in the chamber or cases slide in farther than they should. 

My 1910 .401 throws spent cases to 3 oclock and only about a foot away. 4227 is the best powder there as well. 2400 a distant second. I found some brass but make my own out of 7.62 x 39 brass. After the first firing they are almost identical in every aspect to actual .401 brass. I have to open up the AK brass with a tapered punch and fire form them. Id say the recoil on the .401 is about like a 12 guage. Mine came with an original peep sight on the tang but I removed it. Just use iron sights. 

They are fun guns to shoot. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have. 

                            IOWA GUY

WACA Member  GOA Member   NRA Member. Colt Collector Association. 

Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2396
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10
September 21, 2026 - 7:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

They are curious and unique. I intend to see if I can sight mine in, once I can get settled on a load. Graf has my money for whenever Quality Cartridge makes another run of brass. In the meanwhile, I’ll use the once-fired stuff I’ve got. I want to find a bullet caster that sells a .352 RN 180 grain bullet. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7655
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11
September 22, 2026 - 12:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zebulon said
They are curious and unique. I intend to see if I can sight mine in, once I can get settled on a load. Graf has my money for whenever Quality Cartridge makes another run of brass. In the meanwhile, I’ll use the once-fired stuff I’ve got. I want to find a bullet caster that sells a .352 RN 180 grain bullet. 
  

Too bad Lee doesn’t seem to make a mould for this one, would probably cost less than a handful of commercial cast bullets. Someone we know would probably use any overruns we may have.

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2396
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12
September 22, 2026 - 4:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am not ready yet to take up casting, although I moved friend Jim’s electric pot and mold handles down to the garage. I’d need an apron, gloves, goggles, probably a dipper and a thermometer, some alloy — and a mold. With everything else going on,  250 cast bullets might be a lot cheaper and furnish several years worth of shooting. It’s the “several years” I have to consider. 

There is an alternative- get a resizing tool, a .352 die and RN top punch and squeeze down some of the .358 lead I’ve got on hand 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7655
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13
September 22, 2026 - 2:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zebulon said
I am not ready yet to take up casting, although I moved friend Jim’s electric pot and mold handles down to the garage. I’d need an apron, gloves, goggles, probably a dipper and a thermometer, some alloy — and a mold. With everything else going on,  250 cast bullets might be a lot cheaper and furnish several years worth of shooting. It’s the “several years” I have to consider. 
There is an alternative- get a resizing tool, a .352 die and RN top punch and squeeze down some of the .358 lead I’ve got on hand 
  

I wouldn’t mind pouring a few, pretty sure won’t be needing many for this rifle. A custom mould would be best but may not be a good investment. Good call on the PPE, I generally save my apron and face shield for melting down scrap lead for ingots. Sometimes scrap holds a surprise or two, my ingots are as safe as 750-degree lead can be. I always use welding gloves and a heavy long sleeve shirt, the gloves saved me when I had an equipment failure awhile back. 

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2396
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14
September 22, 2026 - 3:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I worked in a large refinery during two Summers in my youth,  one that had a superb safety record for such a really dangerous place. When accidents did occur, they were often horrific – men burned alive, crushed to death, blinded by a spray of high temperature acid (which happened to a man I knew well.) 

The white helmet Safety Men were the only staff empowered by union contract to fire or suspend an employee on the spot and require him to leave the plant immediately. There was an appeals process, of course but not on that day. Tools down and head for the gate. 

I remember going with Dad to a large hospital to see a friend of his who’d suffered extensive 3rd degree burns. I didn’t have to imagine consequences. They greeted me with morphine-slurred words.

My growing  up was, more or less, one long safety lecture with color illustrations.

If I decide to play with molten lead, I will buy the safety gear first and it won’t be the low bid stuff. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7655
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15
September 22, 2026 - 3:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve had a visit from the Tinsel Fairy, thanks to my PPE I only had a few splatters in my beard but I kept the tinsel shirt around as a reminder! I get pretty nervous when I have a 40-50 pounds of lead scrap meting down. I generally walk away until all the steel is floating. I had a Bic lighter explode (sitting in the hot sun) when I was melting scrap awhile later and I did a better duck and cover drill than a box turtle. When pieces of plastic instead of molten lead started landing I figured out that you don’t leave a Bic lighter on the front bumper of your truck in Texas on a hot summer day.

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2396
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
16
September 22, 2026 - 6:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As the late Richard Pryor said he discovered, “When you are on fire, people get out of your way!” 

I have survived negligent discharges by others, tablesaws, motorcycles, a single engine aircraft mechanical failure, and women I wish I’d never met. 

I have no intention to need snuffing out while making bullets for a hobby. 

Loaded commercial ammunition has gotten so high that every time I fire a single round it costs me the price of a pack of cigarettes. And that is just too high for a rich man, much less somebody like me. I quit in 1995 but I still cost-equilibrate things that way. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14800
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17
September 22, 2026 - 7:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zebulon said

Loaded commercial ammunition has gotten so high that every time I fire a single round it costs me the price of a pack of cigarettes. And that is just too high for a rich man, much less somebody like me. I quit in 1995 but I still cost-equilibrate things that way. 
  

And that is why you should seriously consider “rolling your own”

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: DEEREHART, Bill Yadlosky
Guest(s) 627
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7655
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6881
steve004: 5851
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3076
twobit: 2748
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2520
Zebulon: 2396
Newest Members:
Drero
Keebler98
DougW
MMM
WyoTip
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
John D. Mikle
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16325
Posts: 149455

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 11000
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation