Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Pulling .351 SL bullets - a public service announcement
Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2392
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
1
September 8, 2026 - 7:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you ever need to pull a bullet from a live .351 Winchester Self Loading round, here’s a helpful hint.  The RCBS collet puller does not have a specific collet for this caliber. The seemingly correct one is the “35/38” collet. It isn’t. 

From long-ago experiences with RCBS, I foolishly thought I could call and learn whether “35” meant “.350” or “358”.   They don’t even answer their telephone.  I ordered the 35/38 anyway, hoping for the best. 

The next day, as an afterthought, I decided to ask Gemini about it.  After cogitating maybe 4 seconds, the answer came back. “Don’t get the 35/38 because they mean .358 and it probably can’t get a good enough grip. If it does, it will probably score the bullet.  But RCBS makes a “348” collet that has enough leeway to receive a .351 bullet and it will work just fine.” I’m paraphrasing but that’s what Big Gem advised.

The 348 collet was a little harder to find in stock but Graf had one and I ordered it. It came today, too late to do the job because I had already pulled the bullet with the 35/38 that showed up last Friday.  Of course the 35/38 scored the bullet. Fortunately,   I was only making a dummy to test the functioning of my Model 07 so it didn’t matter. 

So get the 348 collet.  And have an extra bowl of Wheaties for breakfast because Western Cartridge crimped those 351 bullets to withstand being slammed into the chamber really hard by the massive breechblock extension of the 07.  The bolt is carrying a lot of energy on the return stroke. 

Forget trying to use the RCBS inertial puller “hammer”.  I have one and all you will do is distort its head. I’ve wondered whether Western applied a sealant to the bullet shank. If so, after maybe 65 years it had plenty of time to cure. 

 

20260908_141517.jpg 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
JWA
Location: 32000' +
Admin
Forum Posts: 2823
Member Since:
July 17, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
September 8, 2026 - 8:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Great info, thanks for the tip!  I have destroyed several of the RCBS inertia pullers already but keep buying them because it saves me an expensive visit to the Therapist each month….

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2392
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
3
September 8, 2026 - 9:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

There’s something therapeutic about destroying a tool that doesn’t work well.  Out of impoverished necessity, I used to buy Harbor Freight power tools and soon discovered the motor windings fried themselves under heavy loads unless the “sealed and permanently lubricated” ball or needle bearings froze first. 

After slowly crawling several rungs up from the barrel’s fetid bottom, I finally was able to afford DeWalt and Bosch.  

My projects got finished sooner and my wife says my vocabulary cleaned up to the point she could have friends over.  

But, somehow, I miss the catharsis of those violent, outrage-filled trips to the dumper. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
JWA
Location: 32000' +
Admin
Forum Posts: 2823
Member Since:
July 17, 2012
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
September 8, 2026 - 9:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Zebulon said
There’s something therapeutic about destroying a tool that doesn’t work well.  Out of impoverished necessity, I used to buy Harbor Freight power tools and soon discovered that the motor windings fried themselves under heavy loads unless the “sealed and permanently lubricated” ball or needle bearings froze up first. 
  

I have a different reason for Harbor Freight.  Instead of buying another $120 Makita side grinder, I wait for the cheapo 4.5″ grinders to go on sale at Harbor Freight.  They used to be $14.99 but now only go on sale for an outrageous $20.  I buy 5 of them at a time ($20 less than my Makita) and put different wheels on each of them (cut-off, flap disc coarse, flap disc fine, grinding disk, etc).  Saves me from having to stop and change disks during a welding project.  And when they die (and they always do), I smile as I drop them in the recycle bin.  My rock-solid Makita I save for Sunday use only.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE quality tools, and buy the best when necessary for precision, but I am also lazy (and miserly) at heart when it comes to non-precision work like repairing the cattle gate where some nimrod backed a horse trailer into it.  The gate didn’t seem to care that the grinder was made in Taiwan….

And before you call me out on it, I know, I know, now that it has been weld-repaired and repainted, my cattle gate no longer has “collectable”. status…but it still keeps the cows out of the front yard. Wink

Best Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14763
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
September 8, 2026 - 10:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

You two are cracking me upLaugh

On the topic of pulling bullets from live rounds, I have been using the same Lyman kinetic bullet puller for 45+ years with no issues. I believe that I paid $2.50 for it Cool

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2392
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
6
September 9, 2026 - 5:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

The Lyman kinetic puller is, like everything Lyman makes or has made, the handloader’s friend. They make good stuff.   My late classmate, loading, hunting and camping partner from 1965 until he died in 2004, was an orange loyalist. He was more an experimenter than I was and took up black powder cartridge shooting early. He was a Remington guy first, last and always – no Sharps or High Wall for him,  he ordered a Remington Creedmore Rolling Block made by Pedersoli in 45-70 and shot it until he fell ill.  I’d just sold off my Browning 1886 and gave him my die set.  I remember he had a Lyman turret press, the first I’d ever seen, and batch loaded everything.  He was a persnickity handloader and used his Lyman puller frequently. If he had one, it had to be have been good. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7640
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
September 9, 2026 - 10:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve used a couple of kinetic pullers, bought the second one when some collet parts came up missing. I’ve worn the paint off the top of a single stage press and one puller with a metal handle has acquired an odd bend. Pencils have erasers and reloaders need bullet pullers. One tip for milsurp ammo that I’ve heard but never tried was grabbing the bullet with pliers and twisting to break the sealer before pulling the bullet. This ruins the bullet, of course.

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2392
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
8
September 10, 2026 - 12:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Next range session, I’m bringing the 07 and three kinds of ammo. I pulled the bullet from a cartridge out of the same batch that the gun wouldn’t drop hammer on, dumped the powder,  inserted the primed case in the chamber and fired the primer. Then I reseated and crimped the bullet, loaded it into a magazine, and repeatedly chambered and “fired” it.

If this rifle locks up on a live round at the THIRD range session, I’m on the phone to Vatican City for their #1 exorcist. I’ve exhausted every possible cause except demonic possession. 

Should the Rite of Exorcism fail,  the resident demon better get his asbestos underwear on becsuse I’m not to be messed with. I have plenty of Mesquite kindling and there’s a lot more where it came from. 

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: twobit, mrcvs, antler1, TR, epoletna, Zebulon, Hotchkiss10, MarkGK
Guest(s) 153
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7640
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5845
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3066
twobit: 2740
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2392
Newest Members:
Tinman770
Joe7039
RGiertz86
Les Thanadequate
Barry59
Bear
Anthony Eisenlohr
kik595
DavidM
skilsaw7.25
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16293
Posts: 149119

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10983
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation