Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
348 Winchester brings home the Newfoundland Moose
Avatar
steve004
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5851
Member Since:
November 19, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21
November 16, 2025 - 2:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bhutch said

oldcrankyyankee said
Bruce, heck of a score. I too enjoy the 348wcf. Damn killing machine that one. I would say the only thing that might have been better was an 86 ELW in 45-90. I would like to know one thing thought, how did you keep the coyotes off it? here in NH they would have been on that thing somewhere between the second and third trips in!
Bill, I think you find moose meat quite delicious, Over here in NE when some one was lucky enough to get drawn in the lottery, which you might have better odds at powerball now, one of things that was done was to grind it and make meatballs. Which, tongue in cheek here, we simply called moose balls. The roasts are delightful also given that they eat a lot of aquatic grasses here. 
Bruce your making me hungry BTW
  

We put a coat or 2 around the kill ,seems to keep the Coyotes away’
I actually own a 45-90 elw takedown , but haven’t fired it . Might temp me to take it on a moose hunt 
Bruce 
  

Oh yeah!  Tom, me and several others around here would get excited about that.  

I’m just excited about hearing about your .45-90 ELW.  Not everyone here has one.

Avatar
mrcvs
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2520
Member Since:
September 22, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22
November 16, 2025 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

steve004 said

bhutch said

oldcrankyyankee said
Bruce, heck of a score. I too enjoy the 348wcf. Damn killing machine that one. I would say the only thing that might have been better was an 86 ELW in 45-90. I would like to know one thing thought, how did you keep the coyotes off it? here in NH they would have been on that thing somewhere between the second and third trips in!
Bill, I think you find moose meat quite delicious, Over here in NE when some one was lucky enough to get drawn in the lottery, which you might have better odds at powerball now, one of things that was done was to grind it and make meatballs. Which, tongue in cheek here, we simply called moose balls. The roasts are delightful also given that they eat a lot of aquatic grasses here. 
Bruce your making me hungry BTW
  

We put a coat or 2 around the kill ,seems to keep the Coyotes away’
I actually own a 45-90 elw takedown , but haven’t fired it . Might temp me to take it on a moose hunt 
Bruce 
  

Oh yeah!  Tom, me and several others around here would get excited about that.  
I’m just excited about hearing about your .45-90 ELW.  Not everyone here has one.
  

Yes, please post photographs and a narrative as to how you came to acquire it.

And, maybe a follow up about the moose you might take with it in the next few years.

Avatar
steve004
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5851
Member Since:
November 19, 2006
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23
November 16, 2025 - 4:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Henry Mero said
Zeb, You just need to look at the size of Bruce, He’d just carry it out whole. You fellas in Texas have “venison” We have “moose meat”.
  

I suspect that it also helped that he looks younger than at least a couple of us around here Wink

Avatar
M64lvr
Harlan Co Ky
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 140
Member Since:
May 22, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24
November 17, 2025 - 7:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congratulations xxx! In my Hunting & Winchester’s way of thinking, that’s the ultimate use of an old WCF Levergun & Cartridge! Being from the SE USA, its always been just a dream experience, so thanks for the show & tell!

Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1972
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25
November 17, 2025 - 9:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

steve004 said

Henry Mero said
Zeb, You just need to look at the size of Bruce, He’d just carry it out whole. You fellas in Texas have “venison” We have “moose meat”.
  

I suspect that it also helped that he looks younger than at least a couple of us around here
  

Steve,

You must have been looking at my picture again! LOL! Laugh

Glad we can laugh and enjoy things along the collecting way!

Anthony

Avatar
Deg
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 315
Member Since:
December 27, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
26
December 14, 2025 - 3:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great hunt and story, thanks for sharing. 

Dan #67288

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 2063
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7655
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6881
steve004: 5851
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3076
twobit: 2748
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2520
Zebulon: 2396
Newest Members:
Drero
Keebler98
DougW
MMM
WyoTip
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
John D. Mikle
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16325
Posts: 149455

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 11000
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation