Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1895 Sighting In
Avatar
MidwestCrisis
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 305
Member Since:
January 8, 2025
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
May 4, 2025 - 4:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hey guys, so I found a load for the’95 I like.  Taking it out I put 2 in the same hole at 25 yds.  50 yds I was at 2”, but it’s shooting about 4” high. It has the blade front sight and the ladder sight on the rear.  The rear is marked 15 to 32 at the top and 4 to 14 on the side.  I have it in the 4 notch.  I know I have a replacement barrel, is my rear sight correct?  Do I need to get a taller front sight?  Or it’s calibrated for a belt buckle hold at 400 yds like all the military rifles. Thanks for the help. 

Adam

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7655
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
May 5, 2025 - 12:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Taller front sight is most likely best solution, what type barrel do you have and how tall is the front sight? Rifle or carbine?

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
MidwestCrisis
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 305
Member Since:
January 8, 2025
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
May 6, 2025 - 3:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

TXGunNut said
Taller front sight is most likely best solution, what type barrel do you have and how tall is the front sight? Rifle or carbine?

 

Mike

  

Carbine, 22” tapered, the front sight measures about. .435 from the base of the blade in the sight mount to the top. Has a lovely hand soldered brass bead. So measurements are close. Once I got it home I realized it was going to be a project.  I understood it had been “put together”, the bore is good. It functions well.  I like shooting it.  It would be nice to hit where I’m aiming.  

thanks,

Adam 

Avatar
MidwestCrisis
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 305
Member Since:
January 8, 2025
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
May 6, 2025 - 3:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

IMG_0215.jpegThe front sight. I’ve been putting the brass in the bottom of vee. With a dead hold hold it’s about 3.5” high 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Avatar
tim tomlinson
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1149
Member Since:
September 19, 2014
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
May 6, 2025 - 11:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can experiment by epoxy attaching a section of brass wire on top of the front sight.  A larger gauge of wire will give a bigger bead, so can get some variance there too.  If you like it, it could be left alone.  If not it can be removed, dressed up slightly with a file (done very carefully) and none the worse for wear.  But then you will have a potential height to work with.  Tim

Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1972
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
May 6, 2025 - 2:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tim,

I agree with you, as my father in law gunsmith would do just that for a few customers, and he would use different pieces of copper wire, and fashioned like you said, and after epoxy/gluing it to the sight, would clear coat it, keeping the tip on it shinny, as he would black paint the rest of it,(middle/front), and it really looked nice and worked out well.

 

Anthony

Avatar
kevindpm61
Brownstown, PA
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 242
Member Since:
October 14, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
May 7, 2025 - 9:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A taller sight blade would be easy to fabricate for that set-up. You could also build up the blade with a black hot glue stick to figure out the height needed.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: 426crown
Guest(s) 496
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7655
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6881
steve004: 5851
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3076
twobit: 2748
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2520
Zebulon: 2396
Newest Members:
Drero
Keebler98
DougW
MMM
WyoTip
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
John D. Mikle
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16325
Posts: 149455

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 11000
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation