Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester Model 1890 barrel
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 28, 2018 - 7:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have a 1890 action made in 1914 according to the serial number. I do no have a barrel.  Which 22 cal. designation  should it be in? 

So.VT
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 99
March 28, 2018 - 8:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Unless there is WRF (Winchester rim fire) stamped on the front of the receiver, it could be .22 short or .22 long.

.22 long rifle will not be correct as they were not made until 1919.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
March 28, 2018 - 9:01 pm

I don’t know if the lifter is marked?  Each type has a separate lifter.  I have been told that all WRFs are marked on the front of the receiver but I have seen some that I believed to be correct that weren’t marked.  I currently have a first model that does not have the WRF on the front of the frame.  The barrel is the correct longer barrel with the broken D and the early sights.

Sometimes the chamber is long enough that a long will chamber by hand in a short rifle.  Take the lifter out and see what it is made for.  I see you don’t have a barrel but do you have the magazine tube?  All are about the same except the WRF.  The cutout for loading will be much longer.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
March 28, 2018 - 9:08 pm

cwachter said 
  I currently have a first model that does not have the WRF on the front of the frame. 

First model WRF’s were not marked on the front of the frame, WRF is stamped under the top tang. You will need to pull the stock to see it.

Erin

WACA Member
March 28, 2018 - 9:56 pm

Erin Grivicich said

cwachter said 
  I currently have a first model that does not have the WRF on the front of the frame. 

First model WRF’s were not marked on the front of the frame, WRF is stamped under the top tang. You will need to pull the stock to see it.

Erin  

Don’t need to see it.  I have had several 1st models.1890-bbl-address.JPGImage Enlarger1890-bbl-lenghts.JPGImage Enlarger1890-receiver-2.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
March 28, 2018 - 10:04 pm

Here is a picture of 3 pistol grips.  The plain pistol grip and the semi deluxe pistol grip are both WRF.  As was the third model in my previous postPistol-Grip-1890s.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
March 29, 2018 - 6:30 pm

cwachter said

Don’t need to see it.  I have had several 1st models.1890-bbl-address.JPGImage Enlarger1890-bbl-lenghts.JPGImage Enlarger1890-receiver-2.jpgImage Enlarger  

Erin, after reading my post, I have to apologize.  I didn’t mean to be smart.  I appreciate your info.  I just meant to say that I have had several of these guns and showing that it has the longer barrel, it has the broken D in the address and along with the solid frame I didn’t need to pull the stock.

Thank you.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
March 30, 2018 - 1:09 am

cwachter said

Erin, after reading my post, I have to apologize.  I didn’t mean to be smart.  I appreciate your info.  I just meant to say that I have had several of these guns and showing that it has the longer barrel, it has the broken D in the address and along with the solid frame I didn’t need to pull the stock.

Thank you.  

No problem, With all the counterfeit business going on these days I would still want to make sure somebody didn’t screw an early 2nd model barrel (24 3/8″) onto a first model 22 short  frame and collect the WRF premium on a first model. One never knows….You are going from  1,500-2,000 to a 5-7K rifle.  It did come up in a thread a while back that there were 2 roll stamps used for the first models and one doesn’t have the broken D. I have 5 first models and they all have the broken D. Just saying, for the minimal effort to remove the butt stock, better safe than sorry.

Best,

Erin

To the original poster…………

The depth of the cartridge slot in a 22 short is:  .640″

”                          22 long is:   .840″

”                         22 WRF is:   1.155″

These measurements are taken from the bottom of the cutout.

So, if you measure the depth of the cartridge cut out in the lifter, this will tell you which barrel you need providing someone didn’t just stick another lifter in your action.

Erin

WACA Member
March 30, 2018 - 2:12 am

Erin Grivicich said

No problem, With all the counterfeit business going on these days I would still want to make sure somebody didn’t screw an early 2nd model barrel (24 3/8″) onto a first model 22 short  frame and collect the WRF premium on a first model. One never knows….You are going from  1,500-2,000 to a 5-7K rifle.  It did come up in a thread a while back that there were 2 roll stamps used for the first models and one doesn’t have the broken D. I have 5 first models and they all have the broken D. Just saying, for the minimal effort to remove the butt stock, better safe than sorry.

Best,

Erin

So, if you measure the depth of the cartridge cut out in the lifter, this will tell you which barrel you need providing someone didn’t just stick another lifter in your action.

Erin  

Erin Grivicich said

Best,

Erin

Erin  

Thanks Erin.  It does have the WRF on the underside of the tang and has 6 stamped on the front of the receiver.  It also has Dan scratched on the butt of the stock under the butt plate.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2353
twobit: 2306